Margate 3 Yeltz 1

06 May 2000

It was a beautiful day by the seaside, we were all dressed up in silly costumes but unfortunately a football match broke out. Luckily nobody seemed too bothered and we went down 3-1 on the slopiest pitch since we flattened The Grove many years ago.

We were missing quite a few players, went behind but then equalised through Cartwright in about the 10th minute of injury time whilst most people had already gone to the bar. They were a pretty decent team, and whilst we never really looked like adding to our score they always looked threatening and deserved their victory.

So we ended up smack in the middle of the table in 11th place with a nicely symmetrical 14 wins, 14 draws and 14 losses. Hurrah!

Obviously the site won't be updated as regularly through the summer, but I'll try and bring you any news that I know whenever I can. Enjoy Euro 2000, and let's hope for a successful season next year.

Match Report from DJ

Margate: Turner, Saunders, O'Brien, Martin, O'Connell, Dixon, Munday, Edwards, Greatorex (Takalogabashi 64), Collins (Lamb 78), Williams. Subs: Lamb, Takalogabashi, Blackford.

Halesowen Town: Turbutt, Brown, Owen, Lloyd, Collins, Wright (Gennard 66), Crisp, Aldridge (Payne 66), Thomas, Cartwright, Cooper. Subs: Gennard, Payne, Gardiner

Booked: Collins Referee: N. Perkin (Gravesend) Attendance: 602

Halesowen ended their tenth season of Premier football with a disappointing defeat at the hands of third placed Margate despite their fans partying in traditional end of season fancy dress.

Halesowen soon came under pressure when stand-in goalkeeper Scott Turbutt failed to hold Eliot Martin's 7th minute corner but his defence scrambled clear Tony Dixon's header. Clinton Thomas then headed against his own crossbar from another left wing corner kick as he attempted to clear. Margate finally made the breakthrough five minutes before the interval when Mark Greatorex pounced on indecision by Wayne Lloyd to slot past Turbutt.

In a rare break up the slope, Neil Cartwright equalised for Halesowen on the stroke of half time with a low 12 yard drive which eluded Lee Turner in the Gate goal.

Margate quickly regained the lead in the 48th minute when Turbutt spilt another left wing cross allowing Iain O'Connell to fire home the loose ball from 15 yards. Lee Williams then saw his headed goal disallowed for offside but with Margate well on top the third goal arrived after 65 minutes with Phil Collins heading home a right wing corner from Jay Saunders.

Manager John Chambers sent on Stuart Payne and Scott Gennard to bolster Halesowen's attack in the 66th minute, but Margate were able to coast to victory against the understrength Yeltz.