King's Lynn 2 Yeltz 2

24 February 2001

This is the official press release from the club:

PRESS RELEASEHalesowen Town have moved swiftly to bring on board the highly rated Brendan Phillips to oversee total team affairs after Alan Moore's decision to resign as Manager to enable the club to preserve their current premier status. Alan is prepared to stay at the club in any capacity to help Brendan achieve the mammouth task to survive with 13 games to play. The Board have decided yet again to dig deep into their pockets because they honestly believe Halesowen Town can survive premier status. The Board are now looking for the same commitment from our supporters to come along, have faith and support us in our remaining home games and chant us on for maximum points. LET'S STICK TOGETHER. The Board would like to thank Alan for all his efforts and hard work during the season and also wish Brendan all the best until the end of the season.Nigel Pitt Director of Football

Match Report from DJ

King's Lynn: Martini; Dakin, Clark, Lenagh, Fuff, March, Anderson, Hayes, Bush (Palmer 66), Rowland, Puttnam. Subs: McNeil, Suiter

Halesowen Town: Quy; Crisp, Ford, Comyn, Collins (Creighton 74), Skidmore, Mason (P. Lloyd 63), Sutton, Bowen, Smith (Owen 61), Hines

Booked: Rowland (90), P. Lloyd (90) Referee: G. Capps (Kettering)

Ex-Nuneaton Borough supremo Brendan Phillips takes over the Halesowen hot-seat from the unlucky Alan Moore who saw his improving side battle back for a late equaliser after appearing to be in control early on.

Halesowen started brightly and it was no surprise when they took a 16th minute lead against a weak looking home side. Jon Ford sent a long ball forward from the halfway line which beat the home defence and Peter Sutton had the easy job of rounding goalkeeper Chuck Martini before side-footing into the net.

However, the Yeltz allowed the Linnets back into the game with their first real effort on goal in the 26th minute. Andy Quy only partly punched clear a free-kick from the troublesome Dave Puttnam and the ball fell invitingly for Glen Fuff to hammer into Quy's unprotected net from 15 yards.

The home side went on to take the lead four minutes into the second half when Puttnam's through ball beat the Halesowen rearguard and Simon Bush slotted home from the edge of the area.

With Halesowen reduced to their last 10 fit squad players in the latter stages, King's Lynn went close with a close range flick through ex-Yeltz forward Lyndon Rowland and had a penalty appeal by Fuff turned down in the 67th minute.

With 12 minutes remaining, Les Hines stunned the home crowd and grabbed an important point for Halesowen when he curled a 20 yard free-kick into the top corner with goalkeeper Martini stranded on the rocks.