Swindon Supermarine 0 Yeltz 1

08 September 2001

Well we didn't make it easy for ourselves, but these are exactly the sort of games we need to grind out three points out of. After dominating most of the game without converting any chances, a Leroy May diving header in the 83rd minute clinched a 1-0 victory against bottom placed Swindon Supermarine.

We've moved up a place to 5th in the table , just 3 points behind leaders Clevedon.

Tuesday brings Rocester to The Grove in another league game, and then we meet Staveley Miners Welfare of the Northern Counties East Division 1 next Saturday in the FA Cup .

Match Report from DJ

Swindon Supermarine: Haines; McClusky, Bennett, Farrow, Richardson, Davis, Joyce, Jones, Fearon (Matthews 61), Toomey, Jack. Subs: Hodgkiss, Garbutt

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, R. Collins (Skidmore 84), Hall, G. Smith (May 75), Spencer (Giddings 75), Taylor, Hines

Referee: A. Newell (Bristol) Booked: None

Halesowen struggled to make headway against the bottom side and had to wait until the 83rd minute for the decisive breakthrough.

A dull first half saw Andy Spencer spurn the best chance in the 43rd minute when he shot directly at goalkeeper Paul Haines when a Ross Collins flick put him clear on goal.

The Yeltz continued to miss a host of chances in front of goal in the second half. Jason Burnham weaved through the Marine defence in the 55th minute but Haines saved when Ross Collins tried to place the ball in the net. Spencer drove wide on the hour and Gary Smith turned but also hit wide with Haines stranded off his line a minute later. Haines went on to make fine blocking saves from Matty Hall and Gary Smith with Halesowen increasing the pressure.

Just when the game seemed to be heading for a goalless draw, substitute Leroy May met a long right wing cross with a diving header in the 83rd minute to finally beat Haines.

Halesowen lived dangerously in the dying minutes with Swindon enjoying their best spell of the game. Lee Collins made an athletic clearance off the goalline from Steve Bennett's 87th minute shot with the home side claiming that the ball had crossed the line. A minute later goalkeeper Tim Clarke beat away a shot from Tony Joyce with the visiting defence caught out and Neil Matthews headed wide but Halesowen clung on for the slender victory.