FAC Moor Green 0 Yeltz 2

29 September 2001

Another clean sheet, and the mighty Yeltz keep rollin' along.

Goals from Jones the striker and Hall the winger capped another impressive display against a team a league higher. As said before the game, it would be an good test of how much we've improved from last year, and we passed with flying colours. We've drawn FA Trophy winners Canvey Island in the next round which is very exciting.

Thursday brings the Wolves to The Grove to the official opening of our stylish new floodlights. They've got no game at the weekend so might bring a decent team and there are rumours Steve Bull might turnout for us.

Don't forget Saturday's big game against top of the table Clevedon - who lost yesterday - kicks off at 12:30 because of the England game. Let's hope we can keep this brilliant run going.

Match Report from DJ

Moor Green: Rachel (De Bont 87); Gillard, Brighton, Crisp (Joyce 79), Gaunt, Hayde, Peer (Scheppel 64), Lamey, Gayle, Martin, Petty. Subs: Robinson, Mulholland

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, R. Collins (Skidmore 68), Hall, Jones (G. Smith 82), Giddings, Taylor, Hines. Subs: Spencer, Knight, Garvey (GK)

Referee: M. Murphy (Coventry) Booked: R. Collins (17), Hayde (36), L. Collins (41), Gayle (47), Taylor (90) Attendance: 561

For the first time this season Halesowen started as underdogs in a contest that would show just how much progress has been made so far this season. The verdict was that Halesowen passed the test with flying colours against high-flying Moor Green to record a richly deserved win - the first defeat for Moor Green at home in 7 outings. Certainly recent results between the teams in cup ties suggested Halesowen were more than due a victory, but the nature of the win with Halesowen producing all the football on a superb surface delighted the large band of travelling fans.

Andy Jones headed a left wing cross from Les Hines just high in the 10th minute and it was no surprise when Halesowen went on to take a 20th minute lead. Kerry Giddings won a header in the penalty box and with defender Chris Gillard hesistating, Andy Jones pounced to slot home from 10 yards out. The Yeltz then enjoyed a purple patch with Lee Collins volleying into the arms of goalkeeper Rachel in the 24th minute after Ross Collins and Matty Hall put in some great work to win a corner. The visitors were unfortunate not to increase the lead in the 26th minute when Hines put Giddings clear and he skipped past the defence before rounding goalkeeper Rachel but Craig Gaunt somehow managed to clear the firm shot off the line. Hines hit a shot just wide.

Moor Green were unable to make much impression on the solid Halesowen defence in the second half and it was Jones who saw his 53rd minute header tipped over the bar by Moor Green goalkeeper Rachel. The Yeltz wrapped up the tie in the 78th minute when Giddings took advantage of a bad back-pass and as he tried to surge forward the ball broke for Hall to hit home with confidence.

To complete Moor Green�s cup woes, goalkeeper Rachel was taken off injured with three minutes to go and was replaced by ex-Stourbridge stopper Andy De Bont.