Yeltz 2 Sutton Coldfield 0

09 October 2001

Another day, another victory, another clean sheet and we're still top of the league. Hurrah!

More of the same really. A solid performance at the back, two second half goals from Les (a pen) and Matty Hall and the mighty Yeltz keep rolling along. Solihull lost at home to Evesham who are now our closest rivals .

Saturday brings Canvey Island to town for a mouth watering FA Cup tie. They're probably the highest rated team in the competition at this stage, but with our current form it should be a very good game. Bring 'em on.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, R. Collins (Skidmore 85), Hall (Spencer 85), A. Jones, Giddings, Taylor, Hines. Sub: Knight

Sutton Coldfield Town: Bray; Moran (Behan 83), Randall (Gardner 70), Manton, Farmer, Whitehouse, K. Jones, Steele, Mitchell, Bellingham, Reece. Sub: Ling

Referee: R. Green (Berkley, Glos.) Attendance: 432 Booked: Mitchell (25)

Halesowen continue to go from strength to strength with another solid win to consolidate their position at the top of table.

A tricky run from Les Hines was blocked in the 13th minute and an Andy Jones volley from the rebound was saved well by Sutton goalkeeper Justin Bray. Five minutes later Lee Collins sent a long ball forward to his brother Ross, but Bray dived bravely at his feet to snatch the ball.

Sutton worked hard but rarely threatened in front of goal although Mark Bellingham shot wide in the 35th minute after Matty Hall was dispossessed in midfield. Halesowen goalkeeper Tim Clarke then spilt a deep 40th minute cross from Tim Steele but his defence escaped.

Halesowen turned up the heat in the second period with Bray collecting a dangerous low cross from Hall in the 46th minute and Ross Collins saw a header fly just over the bar a minute later.

The Yeltz went ahead from the penalty spot in the 52nd minute when Kerry Giddings surged into the penalty area and was blatantly up-ended by Stuart Randall with spot-kick expert Hines easily converting the resulting penalty into the bottom corner of the net.

Hall put Halesowen two goals to the good in the 61st minute when he hit Jason Burnham's swinging free-kick home from a tight angle with the Sutton defence static, expecting the ball to go out of play.

Halesowen confidently played out the rest of the game with man-of-the-match Neil Smith helping to maintain their ninth successive clean sheet.