BSC Yeltz 2 Hednesford 0

20 November 2001

It's been a few years since we used to have regular battles against Hednesford, so it was nice to put one over our old rivals even if it was just the Senior Cup. Goals from Skiddy and Jonah put us through to the next round in the most prestigious of the Senior Cups (I always talk them up when we win).

It was a bit of a disappointing turnout for the supporters' meeting on Monday, with only six committed fans turning up. Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me too much, as it's a lot easier to leave a message of support on the site than it is to actually do something about it. The people who leave messages are always more likely to be younger fans who have internet access.

Anyway, onwards on upwards. It's back to league action on Saturday with a trip to Warwick in the first of four consecutive away games.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, Knight, L. Collins, Skidmore, Hall, Jones, G. Smith, Taylor (Gray 45), Carter (Hines 84). Sub: Burnham

Hednesford Town: Gayle; Dodds, Lucas, Lake, Gardiner, Simpson, Airdrie (Craven 63), Brownrigg (Shakespeare 86), Francis, Lancashire (Dyson 75), Trainer

Referee: G. Aston (Kingswinford) Attendance: 205 Booked: Francis (22)

Halesowen made a comfortable passage to the next round as Dr Martens Premier Hednesford turned in a disappointing performance, despite naming a strong line-up.

Matty Hall made a couple of impressive early runs down the right wing for the home side but he blasted high in the 2nd minute and his third minute cross failed to find a Yeltz striker. Phil Trainer flashed a 13th minute shot wide and Andy Brownrigg's shot was easily saved by Tim Clarke a couple of minutes later for the visitors.

The Yeltz took the lead in the 19th minute when Andy Jones headed back across goal for Stuart Skidmore to turn home his first goal of the season from close range. Stuart Lake then stole in on the Halesowen defence in the 23rd minute from a Kevin Francis header, but he headed weakly into Clarke's arms.

Three minutes after half-time Skidmore set up Alfie Carter for a left wing run but his cross was cleared by the Hednesford defence. On 57 minutes Gary Smith set Carter free again but the break came to nothing. Stuart Airdrie curled a teasing 55th minute shot just wide as Kenny Hibbitt's Hednesford tried to get back into the game, but it was visiting goalkeeper Mark Gayle who had to turn a diving header around the post from Jones in the 71st minute from another Hall cross. Stuart Lake then had an 81st minute shot from 20 yards pushed away for a corner by Clarke.

Halesowen finally doubled the lead and sealed the game in the 85th minute when Smith threaded the ball through for Jones to poke home past Gayle.