WSC Evesham 1 Yeltz 1

18 December 2001

Worst possible result in my eyes - I've never liked the Senior Cups and at the moment we really don't need the distraction, so it's a pain we have to go to a replay in the Worcestershire version after a 1-1 draw at Evesham. Rosco got our equaliser after we'd gone behind, but I think the attendance - 115 - says it all.

So it's on to Saturday's top of the table clash with Chippenham at The Grove. Our real rivals are the teams in third place and below, as all that matters this year is finishing in the top two. However a victory would take us seven points clear at the halfway mark - which would be nice. Come on!!!

Match Report from DJ

Evesham United: Watson; A. Smith, Parmenter, Clark, Powell, Lutz, Wolsey, McCartan, Mullen (Roberts 45), Pratt, Preedy. Subs: Brown, Clifton, Pendleton, Steadman

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, Burnham, L. Collins, R. Collins, Spencer, Hall (N. Smith 72), G. Smith, Gray, Hines (Skidmore 54). Subs: Jones, Taylor, Garvey

Referee: S. Dorr (Worcester) Attendance: 115 Booked: Gray (19), G. Smith (19), L. Collins (43), Wolsey (75), Spencer (75)

Halesowen and Evesham must replay at The Grove after fighting out an evenly matched quarter-final on a sticky playing surface.

The visitors went close in the 9th minute when Les Hines played a great ball from his own half for Gary Smith to send a curling shot from the edge of the area which was saved by Danny Watson. Watson then recovered to save the rebound from Matty Hall. Evesham's Phil Preedy then struck wide from the left in the 16th minute.

Shaun Pratt caused danger for the Halesowen defence in the first half and was instrumental in a 25th minute disallowed goal before cutting in himself two minutes later, causing Tim Clarke to make a fine save. At the other end goalkeeper Watson denied Hines from close range and then saved from Hall who latched onto a long free-kick from Jason Burnham on the half-hour.

The home side took a 42nd minute lead when Preedy skipped past the Halesowen defence down the left to hit past Clarke from a tight angle.

Halesowen gradually fought back in the second half with Hines driving in a 46th minute freekick before levelling in the 59th minute when Hall put in a low right wing cross for Ross Collins to net from a couple of yards out. Watson then made a reflex save after 65 minutes to deny Ross Collins again before Evesham's Pratt headed a corner from Steve McCartan wide in the 72nd minute. In the dying moments Andy Spencer set Ross Collins free but Watson blocked again and Steve McCartan hit high for Evesham when well placed.