Yeltz 3 Bilston 0

12 January 2002

After what's seemed like ages, the mighty Yeltz continued their promotion run by beating local rivals Bilston 3-0 at The Grove.

Second half goals from Andy Spencer - his 5th in as many league games - Jason Burnham (another pen) and Dennis Bailey , who comes and goes almost as often as Evran Wright Wright Wright, kept us on the top of the table .

With Chippenham beating Clevedon and Weston also winning there's no real change at the top, other than I think there really are only 4 teams in contention for the two promotion spots.

Tuesday brings Blues to The Grove in a B'ham Senior Cup tie. According to the ever reliable Halesowen News Brendan will try and give a few non-regulars a run out, which is completely the right thing to do as all that matters this year (any year?) is the league. Be nice to keep our winning run going all the same. After that, we've got a trip down to Gloucester next Saturday where we've had some "interesting" visits before.

Also there is a meeting for all supporters on Thursday 17th in the Yeltz Bar from 7.30 to 8.45pm - a meet the players evening. Also, it may provide a springboard to launch a proper Supporters Club and produce proper links between the club and supporters.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer, Bailey, May, Taylor, Hines. Subs: G. Smith, Gray, Newall

Bilston Town: Bryan; Townsend, Read, Meredith (Walters 68), Stone, Daley, Ball (Bytheway 85), Grosvenor, Bullimore, Blakemore (Craven 76), Coates

Referee: H. Singh (West Bromwich) Attendance: 619 Booked: Ball (64) Sponsors Man of the Match : Lee Collins

Halesowen hit three goals in the final half-hour to break the Steelmen's resistance and eventually notch a comfortable victory.

Spencer should have opened the scoring with the first attack in the 2nd minute when a flowing move ended with Leroy May finding Spencer unmarked eight yards out but, after turning, his shot dribbled agonisingly wide. The influential Mark Taylor then put May free but his effort was cleared for a corner. Bilston were much changed from the team the Yeltz played in Nove mber and started on the back-foot although the ageing Charlie Blakemore saw his 8th minute shot blocked.

The Yeltz continued to apply the first half pressure and in the 17th minute Stuart Skidmore had a shot cleared off the line by Quentin Townsend after Dennis Bailey had weaved through the Bilston defence. Taylor then lofted a free-kick from the edge of the area just high and Spencer volleyed wide when Bailey had headed down. After 32 minutes Bailey then laid off a long goalkick from Tim Clarke to Spencer again but the Bilston defence blocked as he charged towards goal. A minute later Bailey headed a Taylor corner just wide and 8 minutes before the break Jason Burnham fired in a 20 yard shot which was well held by goalkeeper Simon Bryan. Man of the match Lee Collins received lengthy treatment to a cut head just before the interval after being caught by Lee Bullimore.

An exciting second half started with Spencer just off target again with a header after both Bailey and May had headed on. The visitors then missed a golden opportunity to snatch the lead in the 51st minute when Clarke failed to gather a Danny Coates corner, but Stuart Grosvenor headed over from just 3 yards out when unmarked.

At the Shed End, Les Hines fired a 20-yard shot onto the top of the net and a delightful 55th minute cross from Taylor was met with a Bailey header, but the ball struck the post and rebounded into safety. Bilston then missed another great chance when Lee Bullimore could only glance a free header wide from another Coates cross.

Halesowen finally broke through on the hour when Taylor played the ball out to Hines on the left wing and his cross was met with a firm downwards header by SPENCER rushing into the box to record his 4th goal in three games. Just two minutes later Hines was brought down in the area by Steve Ball, and after Hines received treatment, BURNHAM stepped up to stroke the penalty home in the 64th minute.

Hard working Bilston never looked likely to stage a recovery although substitute Greg Walters saw a shot drift wide after 73 minutes. With Halesowen seeking more goals, a corner from Hines after 76 minutes saw the ball cleared off the line in a goalmouth scramble. A minute from time, Halesowen hit a third goal in a fine move started in midfield by Taylor setting Hines free on the left to deliver an inch-perfect cross for BAILEY to tap home.