Clevedon 0 Yeltz 2

09 February 2002

The mighty Yeltz took another large step to regaining our place in the Premier League with a late victory at claggy Clevedon. With both Chippenham and Solihull drawing, it was an excellent day for many reasons.

It was touch and go whether the game was going to be on, and the pitch was pretty awful; very muddy and wet in patches. As has been the case in most matches this year, we dominated the game but it was very difficult to play and their keeper made a couple of excellent saves in the second half, especially one from a first-time Leroy volley.

Finally in the 89th minute we got a penalty after Andy Spencer must have been pushed - although no one I spoke to could say for certain - when left with a free header right in front of goal. Jason scared us all by slamming it in off the bar, and then we finished the game off in style when Dennis Bailey was put through and he coolly slotted it away. Hurrah!

Our next game is at Evesham on Saturday which may be a little tricky but let's hope for another 3 points.

Match Report from DJ

Clevedon Town: Matthews; Simeon Allison, Lester, Vinnicombe, Jefferies (Thorne 39), Price, Zabek, Mills, Bright (Morrisey 64), Sam Allison, Palmer. Sub: Dorrian.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer, Bailey, May (Jones 83), Taylor, Hines. Subs: Newell, Ross.

Referee: T. Curtis (Bath) Attendance: 361 Booked: None

Dreadful weather conditions seem to be a hallmark of recent games at Clevedon and this proved no exception. Both sides were clogged-up with mud for most of the afternoon, so it took two late injury-time goals to give the Yeltz all three points at much-changed Clevedon.

With the mud ankle-deep in patches, it was questionable whether the game should have taken place at all, but Halesowen proved once again that when necessary they can out-battle the opposition as well as play attractive football. Goal chances were inevitably scarce with the ball unable to roll freely in the quagmire conditions - made even worse by a gusty wind.

In the farcical conditions Richard Colwell planted in a 9th minute cross that was headed away and the resulting corner from Les Hines was cleared. Dave Bright hit a weak Tim Clarke clearance wide of the mark for the home side two minutes later. Dennis Bailey then clipped just wide in the 21st minute and Halesowen went close as Leroy May's shot was turned over the bar by goalkeeper Jason Matthews in the 24th minute. Hines struck just over after 33 minutes and five minutes before the break Clevedon's Simeon Allison hit the ball out of the penalty area mud over the bar.

Halesowen continued to be on top in the second-half, although Bright hit wide for Clevedon when Clarke was caught off his line after 55 minutes. Two minutes later Andy Spencer's persistence almost led to a goal but the ball deflected cruelly wide of the mark. Goalkeeper Matthews then denied the Yeltz twice on the hour by turning away a May volley and then producing a fine save to keep out Andy Spencer's header from the corner. Stuart Skidmore saw his 76th minute shot from the edge of the box collected by Matthews.

With the game heading for a goal-less draw, the league leaders were awarded a penalty in the 90th minute when Bailey crossed from the left and goalkeeper Matthews pushed Spencer who was lurking menacingly at the far post. Jason BURNHAM gladly crashed home his 7th penalty of the season off the underside of the bar for a vital lead. Two minutes into stoppage time BAILEY then latched onto a long ball and escaped his marker before slotting home Halesowen's second.