Bedworth 0 Yeltz 3

09 March 2002

After the bizarre experience of actually dropping some points last week, the mighty Yeltz earned another three points with a reasonably straightforward victory at mid-table Bedworth. Two goals from Leroy (although the first one was probably Les's) split by one from Andy Jones kept us on top of the table and well on course for both promotion and the title. All the other contenders also won, but we're another game closer to getting back up.

There's been a bit of activity in the transfer market over the last few days. We've signed Alex Cowley , a winger, on loan from Stourport until the end of the season, and Karl Brennan who's previously played for Hinckley, Nuneaton and Leicester City. This also means Matty Hall has been loaned out to Redditch.

There's a new vote on the site you might find interesting - "Is the current team better than the Midland Division winning team of 89/90?"

Tuesday takes us to Moor Green in the Worcester Senior semi-final replay, and then on Saturday the exotically named Swindon Supermarine visit The Grove on the back of a 6-2 victory over Shepshed!

Match Report from DJ

Bedworth Utd: Hateley; Oddy (Aston 76), Lloyd (Parsons 62), Sanders, Cooper, Crowley, McGregor, Goodman, Harrison, Partridge, Whitmore. Sub: Wilson

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer (Cowley 69), Bailey (Jones 62), May, Taylor, Hines. Sub: R. Collins

Referee: G. Stretton (Enderby) Attendance: 303

Halesowen enter the home straight with the luxury of seven home games from the remaining ten matches. But there is no complacency in the Halesowen camp as the league leaders recorded another convincing away victory in difficult windy conditions.

The Yeltz almost went ahead within 30 seconds of the opening when Leroy May put Andy Spencer clear on goal but goalkeeper Gary Hateley made a last ditch clearance. Jason Burnham saw his 13th minute shot fly just over and Dennis Bailey then sent in a long range effort five minutes later. The Yeltz took a 25th minute lead when a right-wing corner from Les Hines curled into the net with the help of Leroy May after Hateley failed to gather the ball in the swirling wind. The goal has been credited to May with Leroy claiming a strike off his shoulder although it appeared the referee's assistant had already signalled a goal for Hines. In the 34th minute a Scott McGregor cross was flicked on for Bedworth but centre-forward Ross Harrison headed straight into the arms of Tim Clarke, who enjoyed a quiet afternoon's work.

The second period started in quiet fashion although Spencer screwed wide after 49 minutes. Halesowen then went 2-0 ahead when a 63rd minute free-kick from Hines was met at the far post by Lee Collins and Andy Jones flashed home a header just one minute after his introduction as substitute.

Bedworth should have pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute but Chris Partridge scooped the ball high in front of goal and two minutes from time Adam Cooper blasted high when well placed. On full-time May added Halesowen's third by powerfully heading home from close range following a flick-on from a Hines corner.