Yeltz 5 Swindon Supermarine 1

16 March 2002

The mighty Yeltz continued their march back to the Premier Division with an easy 5-1 victory over bottom placed Swindon Supermarine. Two first half goals from Les Hines and one from Andy Spencer set us on our way, and further goals from Leroy and a JB penalty kept us on top of the league despite letting in a late Swindon penalty.

In the other crucial promotion games, Chippenham drew 1-1 with Weston and Solihull won 4-0 against Gloucester. All this means is we now need a maximum of just 17 points to clinch promotion, and 19 points to become champions. I've added a handy reminder on the right of the home page to add to the excitement.

Tuesday brings Weston to The Grove in a game which could just about clinch promotion for us. We still haven't won against any of the top teams this season so let's hope that changes and we can enjoy a comfortable end of season run in. Come on!

As you can hopefully see I've tarted the site up a little - I hope you like it.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore (Cowley 67), Spencer, Bailey (A. Jones 76), May, Taylor (Brennan 67), Hines

Swindon Supermarine: Bull; Bellinger, Bennett, Beaverstock, Roper, Davis, T. Jones, Dunton, Smart, Giles, Hulbert. Subs: Hussain, Richards, James

Referee: S. Flannagan (Wednesfield) Attendance: 602 Booked: Dunton (48)

Brendan Philips asked his players to remain totally focussed and received the perfect response in a game some observers felt could be a potential "banana skin". However, bottom side Swindon were sunk by a five-star performance with five goals in a 35-minute spell.

Andy Spencer scuffed a 13th minute shot when Leroy May flicked on, but in a quiet opening Halesowen showed patience as relegation threatened Swindon packed their defence. The breakthrough came after 21 minutes when May was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Les Hines fired a low free-kick directly past the wall and beyond goalkeeper Liam Bull. As Swindon's defence panicked Stuart Skidmore went close from a May flick on in the 23rd minute and the second goal soon followed three minutes later. In a crowded goalmouth Dennis Bailey saw his header cleared off the line from a corner but as Lee Collins turned the ball back in, Andy Spencer headed into the unprotected net from close range. On the half-hour Bailey had a shot turned away for a corner and then hit the side-netting from Mark Taylor's corner kick with the ball resembling a pin-ball in the Swindon area. Spencer crossed just high for May in the 36th minute and from the follow-up Bailey's shot was yet again blocked. Swindon earned their first corner of the game in the 44th minute but it was the Yeltz who went 3-0 ahead on the stroke of half-time when Swindon failed to clear a Skidmore cross and Hines had the easy task of heading into the unguarded net.

The relentless pressure continued at the start of the second half with Mark Taylor skimming the bar in the 46th minute before the fourth goal arrived after 53 minutes. It was Supermarine's inability to defend against set pieces that was their undoing again when they failed to clear another corner from Hines and May was on hand to nod home from a couple of yards out. With Swindon all at sea, goalkeeper Bull pulled down Spencer as he was rounding him and about to shoot and Jason Burnham banged home the resulting penalty to increase the lead on 58 minutes. Tim Clarke was at last in action after 80 minutes when he dived to save Dominic Dunton's 25 yard shot but Burnham then almost added to his tally but Bull just gathered the ball as he was being rounded.

Swindon finally gained a goal when referee Flannagan awarded a penalty against Lee Collins who was retrieving a ball from Adam Giles that was trapped between his legs. Tom Jones showed it's not unusual for Swindon to score by firing home the penalty and sent Swindon back to the green, green grass of home with some consolation. In the final minute Swindon survived another goalmouth scramble from a corner with May cracking the crossbar.