Friendly Willenhall 1 Yeltz 0

03 August 2002

It couldn't last for ever, and maybe it's a good thing we got back to reality a little. Our unbeaten run disappeared on Saturday against Willenhall, but much more concerning is hearing of Andy Spencer's injury . Full details in DJ's match report .

Unfortunately the Jolly Boys didn't win the shirt sponsorship raffle again, that pleasure went to West Midlands Fasteners a Halesowen based firm.

It's not unexpected news but slightly disappointing the Sean Flynn has signed for Kiddy after turning out for us in several of the friendlies. I have a feeling he'll be back.

For us long distance fans, there's a new SMS service to give score and result updates as they happen. More details from from Monday, and make sure you quote Halesowen Town as the club gets a fiver if you do.

The last friendly is at Stourport on Friday before the real season starts. Hurrah!

Match Report from DJ

Willenhall: Vaughan; Carter, Price, Slater, Creighton, Rochester, Moseley, Swann, Grosvenor, Hay, Pearce. Subs: Goodall, Tomlinson, Skelding, Bromley.

Halesowen Town: Elias; Colwell, Reece, Newall, L. Collins, Burnham, Spencer, Goodwin, Elmes, Ashby, Hines. Subs: Adams, Phillips, Webb, Tallants, Smith, Jones, Garvey.

Referee: P. Hobday

Halesowen's fine pre-season form ended in a bruising encounter with their Midland Alliance neighbours. The visitors failed to create any real chances and went down to an unfortunate own goal - meaning both goals conceded in pre-season have been from Halesowen players.

Of more concern was the early injury to Andy Spencer - a recurrence of the troublesome injury first sustained over 3 months ago at the end of last season, which caused his absence for several weeks.

Rob Elmes got clear of the Willenhall defence after 7 minutes but his shot was blocked and Jason Ashby hit the rebound over the bar. Elmes then headed into the side-netting from a 15th minute corner.

Willenhall have enjoyed an impressive pre-season, having already beaten Worcester by 2-0 and clearly relished the prospect of another upset. Gary Hay went close after 35 minutes by turning Jason Burnham before clipping a 15-yard drive against the crossbar. A minute later Willenhall went ahead when Mark Swann hit a long free-kick which Burnham diverted past his own goalkeeper Phil Elias with a header.

Despite a number of substitutions, the Yeltz had a poor second half and it was home striker Stuart Grosvenor who hit just over the bar after 72 minutes. Eight minutes from time former Causeway Utd. player Damien Whitcombe hit a volley which was easily saved by Mark Garvey.