FAC Sutton Coldfield 0 Yeltz 2

28 September 2002

A comfortable victory at Western Division Sutton Coldfield took us through to the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, and brought in a welcome £7,500. Goals from Big Rich Leadbeater and Jason Ashby eased us through in a game, on last year's form, we'd be expected to win. More details as usual in DJ's match report .

The draw's now been made and we've got Moor Green away a week on Saturday. Not too bad a draw and we must have half a chance at least.

Next week we return to Hastings where we've had some very enjoyable times in the past. Let's hope for a productive visit this year.

Doc's produced a new fixtures poster for you all to print out and stick in your window. No excuses now.

Match Report from DJ

Sutton Coldfield Town: Bray; Bailey (Baker HT (Perrow 73)), Randall (Maragh 79), Howard, Farmer, Jones, Moran, Gray, Dyer, Tucker, Massingham. Unused Subs: Ling, Thompson.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, Smith, L. Collins, Newall (R. Collins 89), Spencer, Ashby, Leadbeater, Taylor, Hines (Reece 86). Unused Subs: Elmes, Skidmore, Garvey.

Referee: P. Thompson (Chesterfield) Attendance: 269 Booked: Farmer (31)

The gulf between the Western and Premier divisions was plain to see with Halesowen dominating play from start to finish in a game they could have won by a higher margin.

The game was in danger of postponement prior to the game with referee Thompson unhappy about the state of the pitch - specifically the quantity of bricks and rubble on the playing surface.

Les Hines sent in a couple of early dangerous crosses as Halesowen sought to avenge their only away league defeat of last season. Richard Leadbeater then shot on sight from 20 yards in the 13th minute, but the ball just went over the bar. Mark Taylor turned the ball into the Sutton box two minutes later with Jason Ashby flicking his header just inches high. With Halesowen piling on the pressure, a 16th minute Taylor corner was headed on by Neil Smith but Ashby blasted over from just 5 yards. Linton Bailey then hit over his own crossbar with Ashby about to shoot following a great right-wing run from Richard Colwell.

Leading marksman Simon Tucker volleyed over the Halesowen crossbar from a Darren Massingham cross in a rare 19th minute Sutton attack.

It seemed a matter of time before Halesowen took the lead with Jon Howard turning a Colwell cross past his own post for a 22nd minute corner. Ashby then set up Leadbeater after 25 minutes but the striker took too long to turn and his shot deflected off a defender before hitting the crossbar to earn a corner. Ashby slipped his marker on the half-hour and was pulled back by Steve Farmer in the area, but the referee only awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box which Hines hit wide.

The Yeltz took the lead and broke their goal drought in the 32nd minute when Colwell swung in a cross for Leadbeater to head on and although Bray saved, the ball fell back for Leadbeater to turn and crack into the roof of the net from 6 yards. Andy Spencer missed a great chance to extend the lead right on half-time when he was put clear on goal by Taylor but Bray spread himself to save a certain goal.

Sutton came out to attack in the second period and Clarke had to race off his line to head a long ball clear in the 48th minute. At the other end a defensive slip-up let in Leadbeater and he set up Newall but his 53rd minute shot was turned away for a corner. Ashby then broke clear on the left but Leadbeater could not convert the cross. Simon Tucker cracked just wide and Michael Gray fired in from the left with Tucker just unable to touch home at the far post after 65 minutes in a good Sutton spell.

But Halesowen were in no mood for slipping up and should have added further goals. A corner fell for Spencer after 67 minutes but he hit well over from just 10 yards out. Bray then saved low down at his left post from Spencer after a fine left-wing run by Jason Ashby. Ashby then put Hines clear but his cross rolled across the Sutton goalmouth.

Ashby latched onto a long clearance from Clarke and calmly hit a half-volley into the bottom corner for the second goal after 84 minutes to ensure Halesowen's safe passage into the 3rd qualifying round draw.