News Story

WSC Stourport 0 Yeltz 3

15 October 2002

It's always nice to win, even if it is only in the Worcestershire Senior Cup. A 3-0 victory over Western Division strugglers Stourport Swifts isn't exactly a landmark result, but it's a good way to try and get over the weekend's disappointment. Goals from Jason Ashby, and firsts from Kelvin Phillips and Kirk Master clinched our place in the next round in front of a massive 98 people.

The other big news is the release of Mark Taylor and Jason Burnham. They had excellent seasons last year, but both struggled to some extent in the Premier Division and the management felt they could be released to free up some money that I presume will be invested in other players. You can read the press release from the club in YeltzTalk .

Saturday brings a long trip down to Weymouth in the league, in what is - as ever - an important game for us to try and get some points out of.

Match Report from DJ

Stourport Swifts: Nicholson; Kilgour (Laker 66), Ulfig, Mulders, Medou-Otie, Nicholls, Giddings, Fletcher, Stainer, Bayliss, Sall. Unused Subs: R. Clarke, Vilocy, Beard

Halesowen Town: T. Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Smith, L. Collins, Newall, Skidmore, Ashby, Elmes (Leadbeater 55), Master, Quiggin (Phillips 55). Unused Subs: Reece, R. Collins, Garvey

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham) Attendance: 98 Booked: Newall (27), Ulfig (50), Skidmore (85)

The huge gap between the Western Division and the Premier was exposed for the second time in a month as Halesowen cruised to victory to set up a tie with Worcester City in the next round.

Stourport started brightly on a night of foul weather and Malik Sall burst through the centre of the Yeltz defence before striking wide in the 3rd minute. Ex-Halesowen striker Kerry Giddings playing a captain's role then ran down the right and his cross skidded across a sodden surface with Tim Clarke just able to collect. At the other end a 14th minute strike from Kirk Master squirted just wide.

Giddings carved open the Halesowen defence again down the right in the 18th minute but neither Ed Bayliss nor Sall could latch onto his dangerous cross. A 21st minute cross from Jason Ashby left Master to toe-poke into the arms of Steve Nicholson for the visitors and on the half-hour Master snatched at another chance and hit well over the bar.

Halesowen hit the opening goal in the 31st minute when Les Hines swung over a cross that was headed on by Rob Elmes and, when Nicholson failed to gather, ASHBY was on hand to touch the ball over the line. Richard Colwell surged forward in the 40th minute but couldn't find a good enough header to hit home a Hines cross.

Giddings drove just wide at the start of the second period for the home side but it was Halesowen who went close when Manager's son Kelvin Phillips headed back a Hines cross but Ashby missed from just 3 yards in the 58th minute. Halesowen increased their lead in the 61st minute when Richard Leadbeater headed down for PHILLIPS to turn home smartly from close range.

Stourport's Bayliss drove into the side-netting in the 65th minute but Halesowen hit a decisive third goal in a sweeping 73rd minute move that saw Colwell play a great wing-to-wing ball to Hines who then crossed for MASTER to hit home his first goal for the Yeltz from 15-yards.

On full time, Sall broke free of the Halesowen defence, but Giddings drove wide and Halesowen's Ashby turned to curl an effort just wide from Leadbeater's cross.