DMC Worcester 0 Yeltz 1

28 October 2002

After Saturday's draw in the league, The Yeltz went one better in beating Worcester 1-0 in the League Cup. A first half goal from Jason Ashby clinched an excellent victory in a competition we've traditionally done pretty badly in.

Bath City visit The Grove on Saturday in another competition we don't have much of a record in - the FA Trophy. After the stuffing we got down there, it will be interesting to see how much we've improved since then, and it would be nice to have a decent run in the Trophy for once.

Match Report from DJ

Worcester City: Wyatt, Davies, Charlton, Heeley, Jones, Jackson, McDonald (Tomkins 75), Carty, Willetts, Middleton (Owen 62), Holmes. Subs: Holloway, Parker, McDonnell

Halesowen Town: Clarke, Colwell, Reece (Graham 62), Skidmore, Stone, Newall, Quiggin, Ashby (May 65), Leadbeater, Master, R. Collins. Subs: May, Smith, Hines, Garvey

Referee: R. Green (Glos.) Booked: Master, Stone(40), Carty(68)

Halesowen ran out winners and kept another clean sheet in the second meeting between the local rivals within three days.

The Yeltz hit the winning goal after 29 minutes when the ever-improving Jason Ashby latched onto a long ball and lobbed goalkeeper Paul Wyatt superbly from 25 yards. Two minutes before half-time Worcester's Willetts headed just wide. Ashby nearly notched a second in the 58th minute but his lob fell inches wide into the side-netting.

Tim Clarke continued his fine form from Saturday by dominating his area and dealing admirably with anything Worcester could throw his way. Worcester went close to equalising on the hour with a 25-yard Leon Jackson dipping shot but Clarke back-peddled to tip over the bar. Clarke then saved a rasping David Holmes drive three minutes from time.

In the final minute Halesowen went close again when Ross Collins headed on a corner for Leroy May to cleverly send on a back header but Wyatt produced a reflex save with John Newall close to touching the ball over the line.