News Story

DMC Yeltz 4 Evesham 3

26 November 2002

Following an eventful game, the mighty Yeltz march into the last 16 of the League Cup for the first time since 1996-97 .

We went one down very early on, but then took the lead after only 11 minutes through two goals from Kirk . With a third from new signing Phil Trainer , it was looking very comfortable but they got back to 3-3 before a second from Trainer took us through.

Saturday takes us to the North East with a long trip to Spennymoor in the FA Trophy. They're going pretty well in Northern Premier Division One with several games in hand so it's not going to be easy, but let's hope for a good result.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Reece, Newall, L. Collins, Stone (R. Collins HT), N. Smith, Brennan, Leadbeater, Master (Spencer 19 (Ashby 59)), Trainer. Unused Subs: Skidmore, Hines.

Evesham United: Taylor; A. Smith, West (Pinkney 59), Gardiner, Powell, Jukes, Lutz, Barnett (Mullen 88), Hunter, Lewis, Lower (Pratt HT). Unused Subs: James, Ladek.

Referee: H. Singh (West Bromwich) Attendance: 257 Booked: Reece(83)

Halesowen ran out narrow winners in a seven-goal encounter with Western Division Evesham after seeming to be well in control at half-time despite making five changes to their previous starting line-up.

Kirk Master broke free in the 2nd minute but his first touch let him down and Richard Leadbeater headed straight at Evesham goalkeeper Chris Taylor on 7 minutes.

Evesham went ahead in the 8th minute with Steve LUTZ driving home a left wing cross from 15-yards out. MASTER put Halesowen back on level terms within a minute when he crashed home a rebound after Karl Brennan hit the post from a one-on-one with goalkeeper Taylor. MASTER then notched his second in the 11th minute by glancing home a header from a left-wing corner before being substituted by Andy Spencer just 8 minutes later. Brennan hit a volley wide on the half-hour with Taylor off his line.

For the visitors, Andy Smith forced a save from Tim Clarke after 39 minutes with a 25-yard drive but new signing Phil TRAINER gave Halesowen a 3-1 half-time lead by diverting a right-wing cross past Taylor from close range.

Evesham came out fighting in the second-half and fought their way back into the game to equalise with Nathan JUKES reducing the arrears in the 49th minute by sending Clarke the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Andy Spencer headed over the bar from close range in the 51st minute and then scuffed a shot wide of goal six minutes later when clear on goal for the hosts. However, with Evesham continuing to take the game to Halesowen it was substitute Shaun Pratt who screwed just wide after 61 minutes before PRATT equalised when he rushed in at the far post to convert a dangerous 63rd minute cross. With Evesham starting to dominate a shaky home defence, Clarke made a fine 65th minute save from Lutz who found space from a Jay Powell free-kick. Clarke then took out a dangerous cross from Pratt on 69 minutes.

At the Evesham end, Taylor saved a 72nd minute shot from Reece and Leadbeater saw his 76th minute effort blocked on the goal-line for a corner from a cross by substitute Jason Ashby.

The Yeltz eventually hit an 86th minute winner when goalkeeper Taylor was forced to rush out of goal to clear with Ashby racing in but the ball fell for ex-Crewe youngster TRAINER and he hit his second goal by planting the ball into an empty net from the halfway line.

Reece was booked for striking out in the 83rd minute and was then stretchered off in the final minute with a torn calf muscle.