FAT Spennymoor 1 Yeltz 1

30 November 2002

We're still alive in the Trophy after a 1-1 draw at Unibond First Division Spennymoor . We took the lead after the break from a header from Gavin Stone , but they equalised to take us back to The Grove on (I assume) Tuesday - I'll confirm the date as soon as I can.

My correspondent (Chas) says we missed chances, and then struggled after Rosco got sent off . Let's hope we can win the replay and get through to the 3rd Round when the Conference teams come in.

Match Report from Dave Norman (Spennymoor)

Moors were missing influential midfielder and captain Jason Ainsley and Andy Shaw for the visit of Halesowen Town. Halesowen, one of the oldest clubs in the country, formed in 1873, made the trip to The Brewery Field for the 2nd Round FA Trophy fixture and were fortunate to hold onto a draw after going down to 10 men in the second half, after surviving a late Spennymoor surge. The Moors must now make midweek trip to the Midlands to meet the Dr. Martens League Premier Division side, in the replay, possibly on Tuesday evening.

The first half was an even affair, both sides creating a couple of half chances, with the condition of the pitch deteriorating as the rain fell. Recent signing, Stuart Brightwell, caused the visiting defence some problems down the right with his pace and skill, however the chances came to nothing. Halesowen had one opportunity to open the scoring as the Moors defence was caught napping as the visitors broke down the right, Adrian swan was quick of his line closing the angle as Kirk Masters chance went wide. Anthony Lee came the close for the Moors on 35 minutes, his kick just inches over the visitors bar.

The visitors started the second half the stronger of the two teams and on 50 minutes Adrian Swan made a superb fingertip reaction save. The deadlock was broken on 57 minutes, as Gavin Stone headed the visitors into a 1-0 lead, from a floated in cross from Colwell. Tony Lee made some tactical changes with Michael Robson coming on for Leigh Grant as Moors went on the offensive, pushing for the equaliser. Moors applied some heavy pressure on the visitors goal, and following a corner, were awarded a penalty after a Halesowen defender handled in the box. Anthony Lee made no mistake from the resultant spot kick. After the penalty, a melee ensued on the edge of the box, with Ross Collins being sent off for an alleged head butt. Moors, sensing the win substituted Tony Woodhouse with Ben Ryan adding fresh legs to the attack, but it was Stephen Hutt whose effort came off the bar, before Ryan's shot flashed passed the near post. In the dying moments Jon Cullen's thunderous shot hit the bar and down onto the the goal line off the back of Halesowen keeper, Clarke's head, the Moors players and crowd behind the goal, convinced the ball had crossed the line.

Team - Swan, Grant, (Robson), Lee, Brightwell, Goodchild, Hutt, Cullen, Bell, Preen, Woodhouse, (Ryan), Lynch. Subs not used - Bishop, Beasley, Taylor