FAT Yeltz 4 Spennymoor 1

03 December 2002

The mighty Yeltz marched through to the 3rd Round of the Trophy with a 4-1 victory over Spennymoor .

We went one down early on, but equalised through Big Rich Leadbeater and then took the lead just before half-time through a penalty from Les . As far as I understand, like Saturday this lead to a sending off but this time for Spennymoor's coach and two second-half goals from - who else - Jason put us through. More details as soon as I get them.

We've been drawn away to Alfreton Town in the next round. They're another Unibond First Division team, but they're top of the league and have won 17 on the trot. Should be a good game I reckon, but with the Conference teams in now it could have been a lot worse.

However on Saturday we're back in league action with an important game at Moor Green . After our dubious FA Cup defeat, it would be nice to get some sort of revenge there, and it's another six pointer which it's crucial we get something out of.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Newall, L. Collins, Stone, Skidmore, Ashby, Leadbeater, Spencer (Trainer HT), R. Collins. Unused Subs: Smith, Master, Brennan, Reece

Spennymoor United: Swan; Hunt, Lee, Brightwell (Bishop 73), Goodchild, Robson, Cullen, Bell, Preen, Woodhouse, Lynch. Unused Subs: Grant, Ainsley, Beasley.

Referee: E. Preece (Stoke-on-Trent) Attendance: 391 Booked: Skidmore (40), Robson (42), Stone (45), Newall (59), Hunt (83), Bell (86)

Halesowen ran out clear winners in a fast and furious replay after coming from behind against battling Spennymoor of the Unibond First Division.

Lower-league Spennymoor were never over-awed and took a 12th minute when a dreadful error from Tim Clarke saw him scuff a clearance from a backpass only a few feet into the path of Steven Preen who had the easy task of passing across goal for Anthony WOODHOUSE to tap into an empty net. Clarke redeemed himself three minutes later by making the first of a string of saves with a fingertip stop from Preen.

The Yeltz levelled on 23 minutes when Richard LEADBEATER beat a hesitant goalkeeper Adrian Swan to a cross and planted a looping header home. Stuart Skidmore was the first of six players to be booked before the game erupted into controversy minutes before half-time. With the game becoming increasingly niggly and physical referee Mr Preece clamped down by awarding Halesowen a penalty for climbing over Leadbeater in the penalty area and Les HINES smashed home the spot-kick to give Halesowen a half-time lead. Amidst furious Spennymoor arguing, Michael Robson was booked for dissent and manager Tony Lee was ordered to spend the second-half in the Harry Rudge Stand after remonstrating with Mr Preece as the players walked off for half-time.

Early in the second-half Swan tipped over a Ross Collins volley but on the hour Clarke produced another lightning reflex save to touch a Chris Lynch shot for a corner. Super-striker Jason ASHBY wrapped up the tie with two late predatory strikes. In the 64th minute the alert Ashby took advantage of a short backpass from David Goodchild to round Swan and slot home. Clarke made another fine fingertip save on 74 minutes from Stephen Bell with Gavin Stone smashing the loose ball miles down the Stourbridge Road into safety. With Spennymoor spirits finally broken, Phil Trainer broke to produce a top corner save from Swan in the 88th minute but ASHBY completed a somewhat flattering scoreline in injury time when he also broke clear and curled his eleventh goal of the season past Swan from 10 yards out.