Moor Green 4 Yeltz 0

07 December 2002

Although we've been on a good run of late, it's easy to forget that we've had a lot of cup matches recently and our league form has been a bit patchy. This continued today with a disappointing 4-0 loss away to Moor Green.

They were 1-0 up at half-time, went two up through Rob Elmes and then got two more at the end to complete the victory. They've climbed above us in the table, where we've slipped to an alarming 18th place just one spot above the relegation zone.

Next Saturday brings Hednesford to The Grove in a game it's very important we get some points out of - preferably three!

Match Report from DJ

Moor Green: Rachel; Hughes, Evans, Robinson, Sanders, Woodley (Scheppel 58), Stanley, Lamey, Elmes(Faulds 84), Martin, Peer (Walker 80). Unused Subs: Blake, Gillard

Halesowen Town: Clarke (Garvey HT); Colwell, Hines, Newall, L. Collins, Stone, Skidmore (Brennan HT), Ashby, Leadbeater, Trainer (Master 75), R. Collins. Unused Subs: Smith, Reece

Referee: N. Day (Stoke-on-Trent) Attendance: 421 Booked: None

Rob Elmes returned to haunt Halesowen by bagging two goals on his debut for Moor Green against his former club.

The score-line equalled the worst defeat since the 4-0 home defeat by Kings Lynn in 2001 in only the second game under the control of Brendan Phillips and away from home equalled the 4-0 defeat by Bath in the same season. Halesowen have not been beaten by a bigger margin away from home since defeat at Atherstone in 1991.

There was little to cheer in a tame first half that lacked urgency from both sides in the local derby. Craig Woodley headed a right-wing cross from Nathan Lamey just over in the 11th minute and on 17 minutes a string of neat Halesowen interchanges ended with Phil Trainer blasting over from 20 yards.

The Moors took a 26th minute lead with ELMES burying a header beyond Tim Clarke from a Richard Evans left-wing cross. John Newall headed a Jai Stanley cross clear from danger in the 41st minute but a bleak afternoon for Halesowen failed to improve with the home-side taking the upper-hand. Guy Sanders headed against the inside of the post from a Stanley corner a minute before half-time but the ball ran across the goal-line into safety. Jae Martin then struck the side-netting from 15 yards.

The Yeltz were forced to introduce novice goalkeeper Mark Garvey when the injured Clarke failed to emerge for the second half and the nervy newcomer failed to gather a 56th minute corner by Stanley with Lamey hitting an overhead kick just wide. On the hour Richard Robinson turned away a Jason Ashby cross for a corner but the home defence easily cleared their lines. The Moors increased the lead in the 70th minute when Stanley weaved into the Halesowen area and his cross was met by ELMES sliding in at the far post. Visiting substitute Kirk Master did manage a 77th shot from a Les Hines cross but goalkeeper Adam Rachel saved easily. At the other end Garvey then turned away a fierce drive from Martin for a corner.

Moor Green finished strongly and should have increased their lead on 87 minutes when Garvey was beaten to the ball and rounded by Martin but Hines raced back to pinch the ball away from the striker in front of an empty net. However, a minute later Garvey parried an Evans shot into the path of MARTIN to blast home from five yards. Ross Collins clipped in a 90th minute shot which was turned away for a corner but in injury-time the Moors beat the offside trap and substitute Danny SCHEPPEL hit into the bottom corner to complete a miserable afternoon for the Yeltz.