DMC Yeltz 4 Sutton Coldfield 1

17 December 2002

Another cup, another victory. Our excellent record in our non-league games continued with a 4-1 victory over Sutton Coldfield in the last 16 of the League Cup. First half goals from Dominic, LeeCo, Karl Brennan and Kirk led to an easy victory, even with Les missing a penalty.

However Saturday takes us to Hinckley in another very important bottom of the table clash. They've picked up a bit of late, but we'll go above them if we can win. Let's hope for an excellent Xmas present of 3 points. I think we've all been good this year.

I'm off on my holidays at the weekend so updates to the site will be a bit slower than usual until after the New Year. Merry Xmas to all of you out there, and hopefully I'll see many of you at Dover on January 4th.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Adamson; Colwell, Hines, Smith, L. Collins (Skidmore 60), Stone, Brennan, Master, May (Ashby 60), Shanahan, Reece(Trainer 72). Unused Subs: Newall, Garvey

Sutton Coldfield Town: Bray; Ling, Gardener, Jones, Geoghagan, Randall, Cammock, Russell, Perrow (Porter 68(Richardson 80)), Tucker, Maragh (Moran 74). Unused Sub: Howard.

Referee: G. Capps (Kettering) Attendance: 187 Booked: None

Halesowen's cruised into the quarter-finals of the League Cup with a four-goal first-half blast.

Ace Sutton marksman Simon Tucker pinched the ball off the toe of Neil Smith in the 4th minute and sent a speculative volley just wide of Chris Adamson's post but it was Halesowen who opened the scoring in the 7th minute with Dominic REECE bundling home a right-wing cross from Karl Brennan from a couple of yards out. Lee COLLINS increased the lead on 18 minutes when he scooped the ball home after Gavin Stone headed on a right-wing corner by Les Hines.

Sutton teenager Dean Perrow brought a 20th minute flying save from Adamson but a minute later the visitors pulled a goal back with Romi CAMMOCK turning home a Jamie Russell cross at the near post in a crowded goal area. The Yeltz then lived dangerously for a short spell with fast and furious Sutton forcing Adamson to save with his feet from Jamie Russell after 24 minutes.

However, Karl BRENNAN put the home side well back in control by despatching a left wing Hines cross into the bottom corner of the net from 15 yards on 37 minutes. Two minutes before the break Halesowen hit a fourth with Kirk MASTER turning a through ball from Neil Smith past goalkeeper Justin Bray.

Halesowen poured forward in the second period but with the work already done, there were no more goals although Bray turned a curling 20-yard Master free-kick for a 58th minute corner. Jason Ashby and Stuart Skidmore replaced Leroy May and Lee Collins on the hour and Ashby immediately scythed through the Sutton defence on a 40-yard run to put Master clear to strike the outside of the post. An Aaron Shanahan free-kick was then headed on for Gavin Stone to strike the underside of the crossbar in the 63rd minute.

Les Hines should have increased the lead after 76 minutes but was denied from the penalty spot by Bray diving to his right after Tucker had tripped Ashby in the penalty area.