Yeltz 0 Moor Green 1

18 January 2003

We are in big trouble now. A very disappointing loss to local rivals and sort of bogey team Moor Green means we're now 4 points from safety and struggling once again. More details in the match reports .

With our next league game against top of the table Tamworth it's difficult to see us getting anything there, but first we've got Birmingham at The Grove on Monday night in the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Skidmore, L. Collins, Stone, Spencer, Ashby, Leadbeater (May 63), Master, R. Collins (Brennan 63). Unused Subs: Newall, Charlton, Trainer

Moor Green: Rachel; Hughes, Evans, Robinson, Sanders, Scheppel (Woodley 80), Stanley, Peer, Elmes, Martin, Petty (Myers 81). Unused Subs: Faulds, Blake, Walker.

Referee: M. Lever (Leicester) Attendance: 598 Booked: L. Collins (12), Stone (83) Sponsors' Man of the Match : Les Hines

Halesowen increased their relegation worries by falling to their third defeat of the season at the hands of near-neighbour bogey-side Moor Green.

A generally poor game saw little goal-mouth incident and the Yeltz have now failed to score in 8 of their 12 home league games.

Kirk Master surged forward in the first minute and played the ball out left for Jason Ashby to cross but the Moors defence cleared as Stuart Skidmore advanced on goal. Andy Spencer then made a persistent run at the visiting defence four minutes later.

Richard Evans, on-loan from Birmingham City, saw his 25-yard shot drift just over the Halesowen bar in the 7th minute and on 17 minutes Gavin Stone needlessly headed behind goal to give Moor Green a corner.

With the game desperately needing a goal, Richard Colwell turned in his own half and sent a long cross forward in the 26th minute that was headed on by Richard Leadbeater. A minute later Skidmore drove well wide on the sanded surface from 25-yards out. In the 33rd minute Les Hines swung over a left wing cross and goalkeeper Adam Rachel did well to punch a high ball clear after Ross Collins connected. At the other end, Jai Stanley hit weakly at Tim Clarke from 20-yards in the 38th minute. Good work from Ashby then led to Master winning a 50th minute corner and the ball fell for Andy Spencer to lash over the bar from the edge of the area.

The Moors enjoyed a good spell at the start of the second period and were unlucky in the 53rd minute when former-Yeltz striker Rob Elmes hit a 20-yard drive that cannoned off the underside of the bar with Ross Collins tidying up. Three minutes later the visitors snatched the winning goal when Stanley played an incisive pass for Jae MARTIN to swivel and shrug off two defenders before planting the ball into the bottom of the net beyond Clarke from 15 yards.

Master's tame strike was easily collected by Rachel in the 70th minute before Halesowen's best chance arrived two minutes later when a Hines cross fell invitingly for Spencer in a crowded area but he placed his shot against the legs of goalkeeper Rachel. A 74th minute Colwell shot was then blocked by Elmes and deflected for a corner.

Moor Green were awarded an 83rd minute penalty when Gavin Stone brought down Martin as he burst forward into the box but Clarke made an excellent diving save to his left to keep out Stanley's spot-kick.

Halesowen were unable to find an equaliser and two minutes from full-time substitute Karl Brennan met a Hines cross but hit high over the bar.