Tamworth 3 Yeltz 1

25 January 2003

I think before the game we'd have expected a result like this, but to give us a little bit of hope by leading at half-time through Jason Ashby was a bit cruel. Unfortunately it was predictable they'd come back to win 3-1, and they are looking very good now to get promoted to the Conference.

With both Weymouth and Hinckley getting a point, the table makes even grimmer reading than usual. Read DJ's match report for full details on the game.

Next game is in the Worcester Senior Cup on Tuesday when we entertain Worcester at home. We've done well against them so far this season, so let's hope for a confidence-boosting result. We need one.

Match Report from DJ

Tamworth: Davies; Warner, Follett, Robinson, Turner, Cooper, Evans, Atkinson, Hallam (Jephcott 67), D. Collins, McGorry. Unused Subs: Acton, Marsh, Haynes, Hanney

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Charlton, Skidmore, L. Collins, Stone, Spencer (Master 78), Ashby, May, McHugh, Hines. Unused Subs: Leadbeater, Medou-Otye, Newall, Adamson

Referee: P. Martin (Northampton) Attendance: 1150 Booked: May (23),Skidmore (65), McGorry (65)

Table topping Tamworth sent Halesowen crashing to their fourth straight defeat of 2003 despite being shocked by Ashby giving the Yeltz a half-time lead.

Tamworth started brightly and debut defender Asa Charlton had to make a 2nd minute clearance from a free-kick floated in by Brian McGorry. Steve Evans then found a gap in the Yeltz defence and seemed certain to score but Charlton blocked again with Graeme Atkinson's resulting corner charged down in the 7th minute. A minute later a right wing cross from Evans was met with a clever flick by Atkinson to win yet another corner.

For Halesowen, Tim Clarke grabbed another corner in the 12th minute and sent a long ball up the field for Jason Ashby to lob over the Tamworth bar. Andy Spencer then blasted a good opportunity well wide from 20 yards out. With the home pressure continuing, a 17th minute free-kick from captain Mark Cooper was deflected wide with the corner again scrambled clear.

However it was Halesowen who silenced the Lambs by taking a 29th minute lead. Lee Collins earned Halesowen's first corner from a Charlton free-kick and with the ball only partly cleared, Charlton set up Les Hines to cross for ASHBY's header to creep past on-loan Birmingham City goalkeeper Clint Davies.

Just before half-time an Atkinson free-kick from the right was cleared by the busy Halesowen defence and Darren Collins headed just wide from Robert Warner's cross.

Spencer scuffed a 46th shot well wide from 25 yards before rampant Tamworth showed their title credentials by taking control with two goals in three minutes. After 52 minutes Mark Hallam headed on a right-wing cross leaving Darren COLLINS the simple task of rolling the ball into the net from two yards out. Three minutes later a right-wing cross caused an almighty goal-mouth scramble and although Gavin Stone looked to have cleared, the ball broke free for HALLAM to touch home from close range.

The stunned visitors never looked likely to recover although Davies saved at the feet of Leroy May on the hour from a Hines cross. Tamworth kept up the late pressure with Hallam driving just wide after bursting through the heart of the Halesowen defence before being substituted in the 67th minute. Demoralised Halesowen fell further behind after 76 minutes when Darren COLLINS latched onto a left-wing cross from Atkinson.

Ten minutes from time Ashby broke away but Hines lashed his shot from the left well over the bar from 20 yards and on full-time substitute Kirk Master cut in from the right but his shot drifted across the Tamworth goal.