WSC SF Bromsgrove 1 Yeltz 3

01 April 2003

Our excellent cup form continues, with a 3-1 semi-final win against Bromsgrove, but results elsewhere in the league has taken the edge off a bit.

Goals from Big Rich, Andy Spencer (unbelievably his first of the season) and Gavin Stone takes us through to a final which is against Evesham I believe. However in the league Cambridge, Hinckley and Ilkeston all won, leaving us 3 points from safety with it all to do.

This obviously makes Saturday's game against Hinckley absolutely vital - so let's do all we can to get behind the team to get those three points.

Match Report from DJ

Bromsgrove Rovers: Lowe; Benbow, Banner, Brookes, Beckett, Pope, Dyson (Burgess HT), Ford (Hyde 64), Palmer, P. Danks, Frost. Unused Subs: Clifton, Broadhurst, Hackett

Halesowen Town: Hateley; Colwell, Trainer, Smith, Collins, Stone, Skidmore, Spencer, M. Danks, Leadbeater, Master. Unused Subs: Ashby, Blackwood, Charlton, Williams, Clarke

Referee: J. Holbrook (Kidderminster) Declared Attendance: 295

Halesowen eased their way into their second cup final of the season after their squad players took an early two-goal lead.

The visitors went ahead in the 10th minute when Phil Trainer intercepted on the left and played a long ball forward that was miscued by goalkeeper Matt Lowe allowing Richard LEADBEATER to poke the ball into an empty net from the edge of the area. A minute later Leadbeater headed inches wide of Lowe's post and on 18 minutes Kirk Master floated in a cross for the same striker to head straight at Lowe.

Halesowen went two goals to the good in the 20th minute when Mark Danks burst down the right and his hard, low cross was deftly flicked into the net by Andy SPENCER for his first goal of the season. At the other end a Lee Collins back-header almost let in Les Palmer after 23 minutes.

With Halesowen well on top, the difference between the two divisions was clearly highlighted and on the half-hour the impressive Trainer played the ball for Leadbeater to spin and set up Master but Lowe parried his fierce shot for a corner. Master then hit a 39th minute free-kick at Lowe from 30 yards out.

Bromsgrove made a livelier start to the second half with full-debut goalkeeper Gary Hateley saving a 20-yard Palmer strike at the second attempt after the centre-forward burst from midfield in the 55th minute. The hosts gave themselves hope in the 62nd minute when Richard BURGESS pulled a goal back by flashing a header into the top corner under pressure from Gavin Stone after Palmer headed-on. Palmer volleyed over the bar on the turn from a long ball from Steve Pope on 65 minutes and Hateley held onto a 73rd minute drive from 25 yards from Mark Benbow in a good spell of pressure for Rovers.

Gavin STONE wrapped up the tie for the Yeltz in the 85th minute by heading home directly from Master's free-kick. Three minutes from time Spencer almost beat Lowe to the ball from a quickly taken free-kick and Richard Colwell hit in the rebound from 20-yards but his effort was chested off the line. A minute from full-time a good chance from Master was deflected away for a corner by Lowe.

Halesowen go forward to meet Evesham in the Worcestershire Senior Cup final to be played on a two-leg basis.