WSC Final 1L Yeltz 2 Evesham 0

08 April 2003

Despite (because of?!) putting out a team including quite a few non-regulars, we've built up a handy 2-0 lead in the first leg of the Worcester Senior Cup. Second half goals from Rich Leadbetter and Mark Danks means we're strong favorites to clinch the trophy in a couple of weeks time.

Much more importantly though, is another crucial relegation battle on Saturday down at Welling . We're just three points behind them, and with Hinckley not playing, three points will definitely take us out of the bottom four. It's critical that we all pull together, get behind the team and get that victory. Come on!!!

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Hateley; Colwell, Hines, N. Smith, Stone, Charlton, Master, Spencer (Williams 69), Leadbeater, Danks, Trainer. Unused Subs: Ashby, Blackwood, Collins, Garvey

Evesham United: Hart; A. Smith, Sage, West, Powell, Jukes, Wolsey, Khela, Mullen, Oakey, Heath. Unused Subs: Lennon, Blake, Barnett, Shanahan, Ladek

Referee: S.J.Dorr (Worcester) Attendance: 268

Halesowen made themselves favourites to lift the Worcestershire Senior Cup with two late goals against ten-man Evesham.

With their priority firmly to stave off relegation, the Yeltz stuck with the squad system employed in previous rounds and made seven changes from the previous Saturday's line-up.

In the 3rd minute Richard Leadbeater latched onto a long ball but couldn't quite flick the ball over the advancing Tim Hart who saved with his fingertips. A minute later Paul West turned away Richard Colwell's cross for a corner.

For Evesham, manager's son Scott Mullen headed a Kris Sage cross inches wide on 6 minutes but Halesowen created the main early chances and on 10 minutes Mark Danks fed Leadbeater to hit the net, but the strike was disallowed for offside. Gavin Stone then rose to meet a 16th minute Kirk Master corner but his header hit the underside of the bar before bouncing down and out to safety. Neil Smith back headed a 23rd minute corner into the penalty area, but Evesham again cleared and on 40 minutes Phil Trainer headed another corner inches over the bar. Two minutes before half-time Hart parried away a fierce 12-yard drive from Master. Master burst through again in the 52nd minute but Hart turned away his shot for a corner and then saved the resulting header from Stone.

The tie turned in the 56th minute when Mullen was shown a straight red card for an "off the ball" incident with Colwell after Mark Wolsey had gone down on the edge of Halesowen's penalty area. Lee Williams replaced Andy Spencer in the 69th minute and the home-side eventually began to break down the Evesham defence. Danks set up Leadbeater to curl wide on 70 minutes before Halesowen took a 71st minute lead with LEADBEATER following up to turn home a rebound when Hart failed to hold Colwell's tremendous 25-yard volley. Halesowen extended their lead four minutes later when DANKS found space to hit a 25-yard drive beyond the reach of Hart.

Stone made a poor pass out of defence in the 76th minute with Paul Oakey hitting inches wide. However, Halesowen had further chances to firmly stake their claim on the silverware and six minutes from time a neat interchange between Trainer and Williams put Master free but he hit wide from just 6 yards out.

The second leg takes place at Common Road, Evesham on Wednesday 23rd April.