Friendly Yeltz 5 Nuneaton 1

09 August 2003

The mighty Yeltz finsihed their pre-season preparations in style with a frankly unbelievable 5-1 thrashing of Premier Division Nuneaton 5-1. Two goals from Jason, plus others from Hallam, Hollis (again) and Wray sends us into the league programme in excellent heart. Come On!!!

Next week we begin the season proper with a trip to Clevedon . They've been a mid-table side for the last couple of seasons - two years ago we took all six points off them - so let's hope we can start off an important year with a good result.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Wilcox; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt (Phillips 57), Smith, Baker (Fernandez 74), Hollis (Skidmore HT), Ashby, Hallam (Mitchell HT), Spencer (Wray HT), March

Nuneaton Borough: D. Quailey; Tullin (White 60), Love (Crabtree 70), Collins (Cooper 60), Moore, Angus (Manun'Ebo 60), Brown, McGorry, B. Quailey, O'Connor, Whittaker (Rees 60)

Referee: A. Dennis (Romsley)

Halesowen warmed up to hand out a five-goal thrashing to Dr Martens League hot favourites Nuneaton Borough in their final outing before the new season.

In the sweltering heat Aaron O'Connor nodded wide in the 2nd minute and Micky Brown volleyed a Stuart Whittaker cross wide in the 12th minute for Borough.

But with Halesowen looking sharp up front and solid at the back the visitors were soon on the wrong end of an avalanche of goals. A deep 13th minute right-wing cross from Simon Hollis beat goalkeeper Dan Quailey but struck the post allowing Jason Ashby to head home low down on the goal-line. On-trial goalkeeper Adam Wilcox parried a fierce 18th minute shot from Nuneaton's Whittaker out to O'Connor but he hit his effort high from just five yards.

The Yeltz went two goals up in the 27th minute with Asa Charlton playing a delightful chip for Andy Spencer to cross perfectly for prolific goal-machine Simon Hollis to power home a 12-yard header.

Mark Hallam added a third on the half-hour by trapping Richard Colwell's right-wing cross and flicking the ball past Quailey from close range. Late in the first half Wilcox saved an O'Connor volley from Brown's cross.

Five minutes into the second half Jason Ashby hit home from the penalty spot to the goalkeeper's left after pushing in the area. A fifth goal followed in the 52nd minute when Ashby broke free down the right and rolled the ball into the path of substitute Shaun Wray to place home past a demoralised Quailey from six yards.

Brown stepped up to score an 81st minute consolation goal for Nuneaton from a penalty after being brought down by Charlton.