Stourport 0 Yeltz 2

26 August 2003

The mighty Yeltz continued on their winning ways with a decent 2-0 victory away to local rivals Stourport Swifts. Goals from the strikeforce of Hallam and Ashby means we've moved up to 7th in the early table , five points behind early leaders Redditch, Sutton and Solihull. More details in the match reports .

On Saturday we kick-off our FA Cup campaign away to Bedworth . They've had a pretty poor start to the season with just two draws, and even though the prize money for the early rounds is still a significant amount so it's important we have a good run.

The closing date for voting for this year's election to the Yeltz Hall of Fame is Saturday, so if you haven't voted yet and you want to you best get a move on.

Match Report from DJ

Stourport Swifts: Evans; Jones, Ulfig, Newall, Mulders, Harris (Webb 76), Cotterill, Sayer (Shirley 38), Ball, Wood (Robinson 68), Giddings. Unused Subs: Hawkes, Wright

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Smith, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Hallam (Mitchell 68), Steane (Skidmore 89), March (Small 85). Unused Subs: Kavanagh, Spencer

Referee: L. Sinclair (Brierley Hill) Attendance: 373 Booked: None

Stourport had two early chances with Richard Colwell clearing off the line in the 2nd minute from Jan Mulders after Mark Gayle dropped a corner and Richard Ball flashed wide in the sixth minute when clear on goal.

The Yeltz then stamped their authority on the game with Ben Steane putting Jason Ashby free in the 9th minute but his shot couldn't beat goalkeeper Lee Evans and in the 16th minute Simon Hollis struck wide after a lay-off from Mark Hallam. The flowing, incisive passing from Halesowen brought a 23rd minute goal when Lewis Baker played the ball to Hollis and he pushed the ball just wide of Evans allowing HALLAM to strike home into the centre of the net from 12 yards.

Two minutes into the second half Darren Grocutt met a Hollis cross but he headed high when well placed. ASHBY added a second goal in the 53rd minute by stooping to head a Hollis corner into the net at the near post. Substitute Leon Mitchell blazed over the bar from a Baker pass on 70 minutes before the Yeltz weathered a late storm.

Stourport substitute Anthony Robinson was pulled back by Baker in the 75th minute in the area and although Robinson's penalty kick beat Gayle the ball rebounded off the inside of the post and across the goal-line into safety. Ball was then clean through in the 84th minute but Gayle saved with his legs and Gayle was in action again to make another important reflex block in the last minute.