News Story

Yeltz 1 Cinderford 1

06 September 2003

Brief news at the moment I'm afraid as I'm out of the country on me holidays. Anyway, on Saturday we had a slightly disappointing 1-1 at home to Cinderford. More details in DJ's match report (see link below).

Sad news is what looks like the demise of Atherstone. We had some good times there (pop stars, limos, etc.) and it's always very disappointing when any club goes to the wall. Let's hope some way of saving them can be found - but it's not looking likely.

Next Saturday we go to Corby in the First Round Qualifying of the FA Cup. They've had a pretty poor start in the Eastern Division, so let's hope we can get through to meet the big boys of the Premier Division ;-)

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Colwell, Charlton, Grocutt, Smith, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Mitchell (Hallam 88), Steane, Small. Unused Subs: Jones, Spencer, Skidmore, March

Cinderford Town: Fisher; Hook, C. Addis, Hoskins (Stanton HT), Olczak, White, Truman, Donovan, Macklin, D. Addis, Hammonds. Unused Subs: Palmer, McKeon, Callinan, Relish

Referee: D. J. Hine (Worcester) Attendance: 385 Booked: Hoskins (27), Olczak (57), Hook (62)

Halesowen lost their way after a promising opening and could not break down the stubborn resistance from Cinderford in the second half.

The hosts stormed into a 9th minute lead when Asa Charlton delivered a telling left-wing cross for Simon Hollis to head home his fourth goal of the season from close range.

Cinderford were given a lifeline back in the game with a 16th minute equaliser when Simon Truman's shot struck the arm of Lewis Baker and the referee awarded a penalty that the grateful Truman crashed past goalkeeper Mark Gayle. Halesowen's hopeful start then began to fall flat with Cinderford's Lee White forcing a flying save from Gayle in the 32nd minute.

The visitors had a let off in the 35th minute when Neil Smith's powerful header bounced off the underside of the crossbar with goalkeeper Andy Fisher beaten. At the other end Charlton headed Jamie Hammonds cross over his own bar in the 36th minute and a minute later Jayson Hoskins headed on for Steve Olczak to head at Gayle in goal. Gayle then saved a 20-yard shot on the turn from Daryl Addis before Halesowen went close again in the 44th minute with Darren Grocutt's header hitting the top of the bar from another dangerous Hollis free-kick. On the stroke of half-time Jason Ashby laid the ball off for Hollis to force a fine save from Fisher and then Fisher turned the ball onto the post when Baker nipped in behind the Cinderford defence.

Fisher produced another fine save from a 20-yard Hollis free-kick in the 51st minute and in the 59th minute Bryan Small crossed from the left for Hollis to head back across goal but Richard Colwell could not keep the ball down and his shot flew over the bar. Hollis then volleyed wide at the far post from Smith's cross on 65 minutes and five minutes later Hollis flicked a Small cross at Fisher from 5 yards out.

Peter Macklin almost snatched a winner for Cinderford in the 80th minute but he put a free header wide from 5 yards from Truman's cross and with three minutes remaining Macklin again hit inches wide from 20-yards on the break. In the dying moments Baker struck a dipping volley just past the post and then Grocutt drifted into the Cinderford box but failed to connect with a cross from Hollis in front of an open goal.