FAC 1QR Yeltz 3 Corby 2

16 September 2003

The mighty Yeltz progressed to the next round of the FA Cup with an exciting 3-2 victory over Corby. Two goals from Jason and one from new bloke Dan Jones has put us through to play Spalding a week on Saturday. More in Dave's match report.

First we travel to Redditch on Saturday in what looks like being an important game even this early in the season. They've a 100% record so far (although one was against Atherstone) so it's important we don't let them get too far ahead. With all of their ex-Yeltz players there, it should be a cracker.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Colwell, Charlton, Smith, Jones, Baker, S. Skidmore (Kavanagh 76), Ashby, Hallam, Steane (A. Spencer 65), Small. Unused Subs: Mitchell, J. Skidmore, Lowe

Corby Town: Lavin; Marlow, Scott Marshall (Stewart Marshall 76), Vallance, Julian, Hawthorn, Le Masurier (Sneddon 86), Kennedy, Harrold, W. Spencer (Carson 61), Brown. Unused Subs: Glover, Stanton

Referee: M. Willoughby (Coalville) Attendance: 322 Booked: Colwell (52), Julian (75)

Halesowen did just enough to progress to the second qualifying round in exciting game in complete contrast the previous Saturday's encounter.

Wayne Spencer volleyed a loose ball wide in the 5th minute but it was returning Halesowen centre forward Mark Hallam who caused danger and forced goalkeeper Richard Lavin to dive to keep out his header from Asa Charlton's 8th minute free-kick.

Halesowen took a 13th minute lead when Charlton's left wing cross was headed back across goal by Richard Colwell for Jason ASHBY to convert with a diving header from 3 yards.

Liam Harrold hit wide at the base of the Halesowen post in the 15th minute after indecision from home goalkeeper Mark Gayle but HARROLD then equalised in the 22nd minute with a spectacular 25-yard first time volley from Wayne Spencer's long ball with Gayle well beaten.

The Yeltz regained the lead on 27 minutes with the unmarked Dan JONES side-footing his volley home at the far post from Charlton's free-kick. Hallam then saw his 25-yard free-kick saved by Lavin on the half-hour and Hallam then struck just wide a minute later after a good run from Ben Steane. Goalkeeper Gayle grabbed a 32nd header from James Le Masurier following a Corby corner and Le Masurier then cut in from the right in the 36th minute but Gayle saved his 20-yard effort.

Halesowen increased their lead and seemed to make the game safe in the 53rd minute when a superb defence-splitting pass from Colwell set up ASHBY to notch his ninth goal of the season by lobbing Lavin from 20-yards.

But the visitors were let back into the game five minutes later following a catalogue of defensive errors starting with Gayle hesitating to claim the ball from team-mate Neil Smith and ending with Dan Jones laying a loose ball straight for HARROLD to touch into the empty net.

With more goals on the cards in open play in the final 30 minutes Lewis Baker headed wide from Charlton's 62nd minute cross and three minutes later Ashby set up Colwell on the overlap but his powerful drive clipped the underside of the bar. Stuart Skidmore's 67th minute persistence then set up Ashby but he curled wide from 20-yards. Hallam put a 79th minute free header just wide from substitute Richard Kavanagh's cross and Ashby set up Andy Spencer to drive wide on 81 minutes.

The Yeltz survived some deep late crosses from the visitors and Ashby should have completed his Halesowen hat-trick in the third minute of injury time but blazed a rebound high from three yards after Spencer had hit the bar from the right.