Gloucester 2 Yeltz 2

15 October 2003

The mighty Yeltz came back from 2-0 down to earn a well-deserved point against old rivals Gloucester City. Jason got yet another goal - that's 14 now - plus a late own goal meant we kept up our long unbeaten run in the league. Redditch won again, but if we win our games in hand we can get up to 2nd in the table .

On Saturday we travel to Swindon to play the impressively named Supermarine. They've had a reasonable start to the season, being just one place below us at the moment, but I'd really hope we can come away with all three points on Saturday to keep in touch at the top.

Match Report from DJ

Gloucester City: Bath; L. Smith, Jenkins (Wilkinson 44), Griffiths, Jefferies, Thompson (Burns 76), Webb, Cox, Knight (Harris 76), Hoskins, Mustoe. Unused Subs: Hemming, C. Jones

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Colwell, Charlton, N. Smith, D. Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby (Mitchell 80), Holmes, Spencer, Kavanagh (Small 84). Unused Subs: Steane, Hallam, Skidmore.

Referee: C. Banks (Bicester) Attendance: 386 Booked: L. Smith (43), Mustoe (89)

A fast and furious encounter ended all-square in an exciting "game of two halves" that saw Gloucester hang on for a draw after taking an early two-goal lead.

Lee Smith crossed for Jimmy Cox to head just high for the home side in the 6th minute before Halesowen earned two corners in the 8th minute that came to nothing. Asa Charlton then burst through from midfield in the 10th minute but his shot was blocked by home goalkeeper Matt Bath. A minute later Richard Kavanagh's drive was unfortunately blocked by his team-mate and captain Lewis Baker in front of goal.

Gloucester took a 12th minute lead when goalkeeper Matt Lowe failed to gather a left-wing corner and full-back LEE SMITH drove into the net from 20-yards out. Lowe then did well to punch out an Andy Hoskins header from the top corner following Keith Knight's 14th minute corner.

Fancy footwork from Jason Ashby gave Halesowen an 18th minute free-kick but the home side managed to clear a splendid delivery from Richard Kavanagh and a minute later Simon Hollis drove just wide in another excellent Yeltz move.

Lowe collected a 20th minute shot from Lee Smith but could not prevent the home side from increasing their lead in the 27th minute with COX side-footing home on the overlap from 10-yards. Lowe then made a 28th minute save from Cox and produced a fingertip save to deny a Neil Griffiths top-corner effort on the half-hour

With Halesowen blowing away their early cobwebs, Andy Spencer just missed his kick in front of goal on 36 minutes and a Kavanagh corner flew across goal in the 37th minute. Spencer then back-heeled for Kavanagh to hit a deep cross that rebounded off the cross-bar in the 40th minute and just before the break a rebound fell for Kavanagh in front of goal but Bath blocked his volley.

Halesowen won a corner immediately after the restart and remained well on top for the whole of the second half although Lowe saved a Hoskins header in the 46th minute. However, all hope looked lost when the referee pointed to the penalty spot in the 49th minute when Cox was sandwiched between Neil Smith and Charlton, but then noticed that the assistant referee had already flagged for offside. The Yeltz then took the game by the scruff of the neck and won two corners in the 55th minute with Ashby heading high before Ashby latched onto a loose ball in the 58th minute but Kavanagh eventually struck high.

The Yeltz pulled a goal back on the hour when a fine pass from midfield found Hollis on the right and he squared the ball across goal for ASHBY to rush in and tap home from close range. Goalkeeper Bath then saved a 15-yard effort from Ashby on 73 minutes and at the other end Lowe grabbed a cross low down at the second attempt from diminutive substitute winger Adie Harris.

With Gloucester pegged back Halesowen levelled the scores in the 83rd minute when Bath saved a shot from David Holmes who was free on the right but the ball looped towards goal and GRIFFITHS put the ball into his own net on his goal-line under pressure from substitute Leon Mitchell. With the Tigers happy to hold out for a draw Bath then tipped over a clever 15-yard chip from Holmes five minutes from time.