DMC Bromsgrove 2 Yeltz 1

11 November 2003

Aftre last year's run to the Final, the mighty Yeltz lost 2-1 in their League Cup First Round tie at Bromsgrove. We took the lead through Leon in the first half, but they equalised soon after and then got the winner in the second half. One more distraction out of the way ;-)

We've got bottom of the table Shepshed at The Grove on Saturday, so let's hope we can continue our good form in the League and gain another three points.

Match Report from DJ

Bromsgrove Rovers: Wyatt; Frost, Hillman, Pope (Hill 54), Mahon, Dyson, Dawson, Scheppel, Szewczyk, Banner, Swan (Langford 82). Unused Subs: Gandy, Ruck, Atkinson

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Colwell, Small, Jones (Steane 60), Smith, Skidmore, Hollis, Hallam, Mitchell (Willetts 60), Spencer, Kavanagh. Unused Subs: Grocutt, Baker, Charlton

Referee: A. Williams (Hereford) Attendance: 288 Booked: None

Last season's runners-up Halesowen fell at the first hurdle despite taking an early lead.

Simon Hollis's 12th minute right-wing corner just evaded Richard Kavanagh before debutant Halesowen goalkeeper Mark Sheils did well to turn Kevin Banner's 20-yard free-kick around the post for a corner. Kavanagh then connected with a 16th minute Hollis cross but Steve Frost cleared off the line.

The Yeltz went ahead on 21 minutes when Hollis broke from midfield and laid the ball off for Leon MITCHELL to fire home under goalkeeper Paul Wyatt from 10-yards.

Bromsgrove levelled four minutes later with Paul SZEWCZYK volleying home a looping deflection from six yards against a static defence. Mark Hallam's 27th minute volley was saved by Wyatt but Bromsgrove then missed a 34th minute penalty with Steve Pope crashing against the bar and Andy Spencer clearing the rebound off the line after Michael Swan was brought down.

The home side notched a 51st minute winner when SZEWCZYK was allowed to turn in the six-yard box from Chris Dawson's cross. Halesowen's Hallam drove wide on 77 minutes and Wyatt collected Hollis's 20-yard shot at the second attempt on 83 minutes. In the dying moments, Hollis cut in from the right but hit past the post and Kavanagh struck over the bar. At the other end Bromsgrove#s Banner was left free in injury time but also hit high over the bar.