News Story

BSC Yeltz 2 Banbury 1

26 November 2003

The mighty Yeltz just about struggled through to the next round of the Birmingham Senior Cup, with a last minute penalty winner from Jason clinching the victory in what sounds like a poor game. More in DJ's match report .

On Saturday, Ryman Premier challengers Hayes visit The Grove in the FA Trophy. They're doing pretty well at the moment - but let's hope they're not particularly bright, or indeed golden. We've been a pretty good cup team over the last year or so, so let's hope we can get something out of the game.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Jones (Colwell 70), Small, Smith, Charlton, Skidmore, Hollis, Hallam, Mitchell (Ashby HT), Steane (Baker HT), Spencer. Unused Subs: Grocutt, Lowe

Banbury United: Tricker; Spriggs, Blossom, Sullivan, Allen, Eldridge, Stanbridge, O'Neill (Taylor 73), Simms, Redknap, Potter. Unused Subs: Stidder, Breslin, Brock

Referee: A. J. Horton (Coseley) Attendance: 172 Booked: Potter (71)

Halesowen struggled into the next round with a last minute winner from the penalty spot against Dr Martens Eastern Division Banbury.

In a dull first-half, Jason Allen's 4th minute header was saved on the line by home goalkeeper Mark Sheils and George Redknap's 11th minute cross from the right was turned behind by Andy Spencer for the first of two Banbury corners.

The Puritans took a 12th minute lead in sloppy fashion when Sheils failed to clear a right-wing corner and Wayne BLOSSOM headed home from 5 yards against a static defence.

Andy Spencer toe-poked wide on 18 minutes and after Halesowen's first corner on 23 minutes Mark Hallam started and ended a 23rd minute move but headed Bryan Small's cross just wide. The Yeltz ended a poor half with Spencer's 37th minute snapshot turned for a corner and goalkeeper Simon Tricker collected another Spencer drive three minutes before the break.

Manager Brendan Phillips rang the half-time changes but it was Chris Potter who struck just wide for the visitors on 52 minutes. Hallam set up Lewis Baker on the hour but Tricker easily saved before the Yeltz finally clicked into gear. On 62 minutes Banbury's defence cleared a Simon Hollis free-kick after Tricker lost the ball under pressure from captain-for-the-evening Asa Charlton and a Dan Jones thunderbolt was blocked for a corner three minutes later. Hollis then hit a 25-yard free-kick just over the bar.

Banbury should have sealed the game on 71 minutes when Mark Simm's header fell to George Redknap but he crashed the ball against the underside of the bar and the hosts escaped to equalise a minute later with HALLAM heading home Charlton's free-kick from close range.

Jason Ashby and Hallam both raced into the box in the 76th minute but just failed to meet a Hollis cross and a minute later Spencer fired just wide. Hallam then headed a Richard Colwell cross just wide and Sheils saved a Scott Taylor shot low down in the 82nd minute at the other end.

With extra-time looming, Hallam was bundled over in the box in the 89th minute and ASHBY hit home his 20th goal of the campaign from the penalty spot.