Team Bath 1 Yeltz 2

06 December 2003

The mighty Yeltz came away from a depressing Team Bath ground with a hard fought but well deserved victory. We were always in control and took the lead through an excellent move finished off through Jason. They equalised from a penalty, but then we regained the lead through Jason's second and despite some late pressure we took all three points.

Full details in Dave's match report , and I'll maybe write about the view from the grassy knoll when I've received security clearance.

On Tuesday we travel to Evesham in the Worcester Senior Cup, before hosting Clevedon next Saturday back at The Grove.

Match Report from DJ

Team Bath: Hines; D. Smith, Watson, Nichols (Canham 71), Ball, Tilson, Gillingham (Maye 85), Saunders, Paul Tisdale, Reeves (Lewis 61), Prince. Unused Subs: Peter Tisdale, Parkin

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Skidmore, Charlton, Grocutt (N. Smith 70), Jones, Baker, Hollis, Ashby, Spencer, Steane, Reece. Unused Subs: Colwell, Small, Sheils

Referee: M. Halford (Bristol) Attendance: 101 (Inside Ground) 4 (Outside Ground) Booked: Jones (90)

Jason Ashby may have been Halesowen's only recognised forward available but the star striker hit two more goals to boost Halesowen's drive up the table.

Team Bath were looking for revenge for their FA Trophy exit earlier in the season but it was Halesowen who were first on the attack with a Simon Hollis free-kick being cleared by goalkeeper Ali Hines in the 8th minute. At the other end, Matt Lowe punched clear a Luke Price corner in the 13th minute and after 16 minutes Ashby almost latched onto another Hollis free-kick. Dean Smith then flashed a shot across the Halesowen goal before the visitors gained the upper hand.

ASHBY gave Halesowen a 24th minute lead by converting Ben Steane's right-wing cross from 8 yards out. Hines then made a one-handed reflex save to deny makeshift centre-forward Andy Spencer who latched onto Asa Charlton's deep cross in the 36th minute and Ashby headed the resulting corner by the returning Dominic Reece over the bar.

Yet, as in the previous week, Halesowen could not hold onto their lead until the interval and in the 44th minute Kevin WILSON equalised from the penalty spot after Stuart Skidmore handled a cross from the right in the penalty area.

But the setback spurred Halesowen onto making a lively start to the second-half with Spencer turning to thump a 20-yard drive against the Bath post with Hines beaten in the 50th minute. Charlton then drove a long free-kick into the area in the 56th minute and Ashby's flick brought a fine save from Hines. With the ball breaking free and Team Bath unable to clear, ASHBY then hit the Bath post but picked up the rebound and side-stepped his marker to plant home his 22nd goal of the season from close range.

The Yeltz almost increased their lead a minute later but Hines kept out a header from the hard-working Hollis and on 75 minutes good work from Lewis Baker put Spencer clear but he fired wide of the advancing Hines. Halesowen then had their own escape when Paul Tisdale cracked a 77th minute free-kick from the edge of the area against the underside of the cross-bar with Lowe beaten.

Halesowen could have wrapped up the game again in the 89th minute but Spencer's shot was blocked and Baker blazed over the bar after Ashby beat the Team Bath goalkeeper and then Hollis lobbed high when a better option was to roll the ball across goal to Ashby.

A series of second-half injuries lead to 8 minutes of stoppage time and in the 97th minute Halesowen needlessly conceded two more free-kicks on the edge of their area but the defence cleared to register an important three points.