BSC 3R Yeltz 1 Rushall 0

13 January 2004

The mighty Yeltz took another step on the road to glory with a brilliant 1-0 victory over Rushall. The 172 people who braved the weather were delighted when Simon Hollis got the winner near the end to prevent extra-time which took us into the quarter-finals where we meet Walsall at home. Full details in Dave's match report.

We start a run of 3 home league games on Saturday when Swindon Supermarine visit The Grove. They stuffed us at their place, and have just appointed a new manager I believe, so who knows what's going to happen.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Lowe; Colwell, Small, Grocutt, Jones, Baker, Hollis, Lowry, Ball, Steane, Skidmore. Unused Subs: N. Smith, Spencer, Ashby, Charlton, Sheils

Rushall Olympic: Cooke; White (Wright 82), Coates, Dyer, Brown, Vassell, Walters, Bishop, M. Holdcroft, Maragh, B. Smith. Unused Subs: R. Holdcroft, Ashton, Whitehouse, Watson

Referee: C. Nock (Stourbridge) Attendance: 172 Booked: Wright (90)

Halesowen struggled into the next round with a late winner denying Rushall's determined performance.

Richard Ball headed wide after 4 minutes but half-hearted Halesowen offered little else in a scrappy first half with uncompromising Rushall creating the better chances. On 29 minutes Aaron Bishop hit a half-volley just past Matt Lowe's post and a minute later Danny Coates did well down the left but his cross was fortunately cleared by Mark Lowry. Lowe then made a crucial goal-line save low down to deny Mark Holdcroft from a 20-yard free-kick in the 40th minute. Greg Walters almost put Kirk Maragh clear in the box in the 43rd minute and a minute before the break Lowe dived to keep out another Mark Holdcroft effort with the visitors on top.

In the second half, Ball fed Simon Hollis in the 53rd minute but visiting goalkeeper Paul Cooke turned his chip over the bar for a corner and Ball then almost caught Cooke off his line in the 63rd minute with a long 40-yard effort.

Rushall continued to show the greater fight and on 66 minutes Lowe saved at the feet of Maragh. The visitors' luck was out in the 75th minute when Ben Smith beat Lowe from 20-yards but the ball rebounded off the inside of the post. With extra-time looming, HOLLIS tapped home Halesowen's winner after Ball's 10-yard shot cannoned off the post from Lowry's pass into the penalty area.

The Yeltz now meet Walsall at the Grove in the quarter-finals.