Yeltz 2 Banbury 0

24 August 2004

Back at home the mighty Yeltz got back to winning ways against early strugglers Banbury United. Second-half goals from Steve Pope and Jason has taken us back up to third in the table, just a point behind the leaders. Most satisfactory.

On Saturday we visit Dunstable for what I think is our first visit, before Tiverton visit The Grove on Bank Holiday Monday.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Sheils; Cooper, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Charlton, Cowley, Moore (Jones 83), Haarhoff (Burgess 73), Forsdick (Steane 85), Skidmore. Unused Sub: Grocutt

Banbury United: Tricker; Fuller, Jackson (McKay 82), Sullivan, Allen, Eldridge, Stanbridge, Blossom, Forinton, Redknap, Potter. Unused Subs: O'Neill, Essex, Pond.

Referee: A. Williams (Hereford) Attendance: 401 Bookings: Forinton (61), Potter (62), Sullivan (77), Eldridge (78)

Halesowen kept up the pace near the top of the table and moved back into third place with their third win in four games.

In a disappointing first half Banbury's George Redknap headed a 30-yard free-kick from Paul Eldridge wide in the 9th minute. Halesowen's Simon Forsdick then put Jason Moore clear but he selflessly tried to cross the ball back into Alex Cowley and the danger was cleared for a corner. Dave Haywood's 16th minute cross was then flicked past the post by a Moore header. Halesowen forced two more corners in the 27th and 28th minutes after hard-work from Jimmy Haarhoff but at the other end Nicky Preston headed clear when a Cowley clearance was deflected towards goal.

Mark Sheils produced a tremendous reflex save to keep out the best chance of the first-half from former Birmingham City forward Howard Forinton's header on 32 minutes when a goal seemed certain.

A 34th minute corner from Cowley was scrambled clear and Haarhoff then almost converted a 40th minute cross from Haywood. At the start of the second period Asa Charlton cleared the danger when Wayne Blossom challenged Sheils outside his area.

Halesowen finally took the lead in the 51st minute with Steve POPE heading home a right-wing corner from Haywood. Cowley's 25-yard drive was then collected by visiting goalkeeper Simon Tricker two minutes later. With the second period still proving low-key, Sheils dived to save Pope's 63rd minute back-header and Haywood cleared off the goal-line on 74 minutes after Sheils failed to gather a cross.

The Yeltz livened up in the latter stages and Jason MOORE claimed his 50th goal for Halesowen after 77 minutes when he latched onto a long ball and beat his marker before powering home from 15 yards to leave goalkeeper Tricker rooted to the spot. Cowley then cut in from the right to force Tricker into a 79th minute save and Moore headed against the bar on 80 minutes with Tricker gathering the rebound from Forsdick.