FAC Borrowash 0 Yeltz 5

18 September 2004

For the second away game running the mighty Yeltz won 5-0 - although against lower-league opposition this is not quite as impressive it's still a very good start to our cup campaign.

We now meet Gainsborough Trinity of the Conference North in the next qualifying round. They've started modestly just below half-way so it should be an interesting tie.

Next game is on Saturday when we make the long trip to King's Lynn.

Match Report from DJ

Borrowash Victoria: Wood; Bedford, Campbell (Freeman 51), McGinty, Barnes, Rigley, Baum, Sykes, Carson, Dan-Bereh (Johnson HT), Tansley (Banks 61). Unused Subs: Swannick, Flinders.

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Cooper, Haywood (Steane 39), Preston, Pope, Jones, Cowley (Skidmore 66), Moore, Burgess, Baker, Forsdick (Charlton 57). Unused Sub: Danks, Grocutt.

Referee: M. Jones (Mansfield) Attendance: 155 Bookings: None

There was never any sign of a Cup upset as Halesowen exposed the gulf between the leagues to hand out their second successive 5-0 thrashing away from home.

Borrowash's neat set-up and the massive potential of the Robinson Construction Bowl is a credit to the hard-work of the friendly Borrowash officials but sadly the poor Northern Counties East Premier players provided little competition for the Yeltz.

A 3rd minute cross from Alex Cowley dipped just over the bar and a minute later Cowley was crowded out from Jason Moore's cross.

Cowley set Halesowen on their way with his first goal of the season on 15 minutes after Simon Forsdick robbed Mark Barnes on the edge of the penalty area and found Moore before COWLEY took his time to strike home through a crowd of defenders from 10 yards. Two minutes later Moore was brought down in the penalty area and Steve POPE slammed home from the penalty spot despite goalkeeper Paul Wood getting both hands to the ball.

Comforted by the two-goal lead, the Yeltz threatened to run riot and Forsdick played a great pass out of midfield on 22 minutes to put Richard Burgess clear but Wood saved for a corner. Moore then found himself clear on goal in the 29th minute but made a hash of his first touch and Wood collected easily.

The visitors then sat back on their lead towards half-time allowing Borrowash to come more into the game. Zakie Dan-Bereh missed a golden chance in the 40th minute when last defender Pope tripped over the ball to leave the striker completely free in space with just goalkeeper Chris Taylor to beat but he hesitated too long and Taylor saved with the help of defender Dan Jones.

Halesowen wrapped up the game with a further two goals early in the second half. On 47 minutes Ian Cooper fed Forsdick and although Wood saved, BURGESS hit home the loose ball from close range. Burgess then struck the post after being fed by substitute Ben Steane down the right but MOORE was on hand to tap home the rebound in the 51st minute.

Adam Baum struck a 25-yard free-kick over the bar on 57 minutes for the hosts and on the hour a 20-yard drive from Burgess was saved by busy Wood at the other end. Phil Carson shot weakly at Taylor from a good position on 68 minutes but Steane cut in to force Wood to save from 10-yards a minute later.

BURGESS added a fifth Halesowen goal in the 74th minute with a 15-yard shot from the right that found the net off the square left-hand upright.