BSC Yeltz 4 Banbury 0

28 September 2004

The mighty Yeltz continued their excellent form in the B'ham Senior Cup, keeping another clean sheet and scoring four at the other end to defeat Banbury. Goals from Steane, Cowley, Danks and Haarhoff means our winning run is now four wins on the trot with no goals conceded. Excellent stuff!

More cup action on Saturday when we travel to Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round on Saturday. They're in the Conference North, but are down in 15th place so it should be a very interesting game in which we must have decent chances to progress.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Skidmore, Forsdick, Preston, Pope, Jones, Cowley (Danks 55), Haarhoff, Burgess (Cooper 66), Baker, Steane. Unused Subs: Haywood, Grocutt

Banbury United: Tricker; Fuller, Blossom, Sullivan, Wallbridge, Tait, Stanbridge (O'Neill 76), McKay (Jackson HT), Forinton, Redknap, Potter (Brandish 35).

Referee: A. Marriner (Sheldon) Attendance: 197 Bookings: None

Halesowen took a break from league action but over-powered Banbury by mixing their attractive, exciting football with a tremendous work-rate.

The new league leaders looked confident from the start and were quickly on the attack with Richard Burgess winning a 2nd minute corner. Alex Cowley then shot through a crowded goalmouth in the 5th minute but the deflected ball took Nick Preston by surprise in front of an open goal. But Ben STEANE soon opened the scoring in the 6th minute by cracking home after the ball was played across goal.

In continuous one-way traffic towards the Banbury goal, Steane delivered two 11th minute corners and a minute later Burgess flicked the ball over his head before hitting just wide from 6 yards out. Burgess then made a glaring miss from just two yards in front of an empty net after the lively Simon Forsdick collected a defence-splitting 18th minute pass from Jimmy Haarhoff to cross from the left. Little was seen of Banbury in the first period although home goalkeeper Chris Taylor recovered to save from Howard Forinton's chip on 22 minutes. Stuart Skidmore then won the ball in midfield in the 26th minute and he fed Haarhoff who side-stepped defenders Kieran Sullivan and Andrew Wallbridge but goalkeeper Simon Tricker turned away his low dribbling shot from the edge of the area.

COWLEY increased the lead in the 28th minute with a brilliant finish after picking the ball up in midfield and charging forward to beat his defenders and hit home from 15 yards. Tricker then blocked from Haarhoff four minutes later.

The second half proved to be a quieter affair and with Banbury working hard to try to get back into the game Forinton shot at Taylor on the hour. Preston then headed the ball into the path of Wayne Blossom but he struck wide after 71 minutes.

Halesowen increased the tempo again in the final ten minutes with Sullivan's tackle denying Paul Danks on 83 minutes and Steane hitting a 20-yard free-kick over the bar a minute later before the Yeltz added two further late goals. Substitute DANKS converted a right-wing cross from Ian Cooper from close range for an 86th minute debut goal and HAARHOFF pressed the accelerator to outpace three defenders before firing past Tricker in the 87th minute.