Yeltz 1 Chesham 2

18 December 2004

Our miserable December continued on Saturday when we lost again, this time going down 2-1 at home to Chesham. We should have had an early penalty when Fozzie was brought down, but then the game became very scrappy. They took the lead with a lucky deflection, but after the break we started to play a bit and deservedly equalised, once again through The Pope. However, when they scored again on the break all the belief drained out of us, and despite a bit of pressure we never really looked like getting back into it.

On Tuesday we play our last game before Xmas when we travel to Kiddy in the Worcester Senior. They're on a bad run too, but I suspect neither team is particularly bothered about the outcome (to preempt the moaners who will undoubtedly trot out the usual dull arguments if we turn out a weakened team and lose).

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Cooper (Skidmore 81), Haywood, Preston, Pope, Jones, Cowley, Moore (Lamey 65), Forsdick, Baker, Amos (Danks 65). Unused Subs: Strachan, Grocutt

Chesham United: Jackson; Sinclair, Sweeney, West, Clifford, Aldridge, Yates, Fotheringham (Reed 85), Richardson (Callender 79), Lawford, Scarlett. Unused Subs: Deacon, Hole, Hughes

Referee: C. Banks (Bicester) Attendance: 444 Booked: Lawford (68), Pope (78), Haywood (84).

Halesowen's disastrous December continued as they slumped to their 3rd consecutive defeat. The GX Team of the Month award prior to the game proved ironic with the former league leaders lacking confidence as they desperately tried to recapture their early season form.

With nothing going their way, Halesowen's Simon Fordsick looked to have won a 2nd minute penalty when a header from Lewis Baker put him clear on goal. Having safely controlled the ball, Forsdick was about to pull the trigger when he went down from a Simon Sweeney challenge, but the referee waved play on.

Chris Taylor made a fine 8th minute one-handed save from tricky wide-man Andre Scarlett after he beat Dan Jones down the left. Opposite goalkeeper Jamie Jackson then saved from Forsdick after Nick Amos headed down and Baker worked his way through the Chesham defence in the 17th minute but Jason Moore could only hook the ball at Jackson.

Despite long periods of possession, the Yeltz lacked a cutting edge and Chesham took the lead in the 29th minute when a long free-kick from Peter Clifford was only half cleared, leaving Neil YATES to beat Taylor from 15 yards with the help of a deflection off Steve Pope. In a good spell for the visitors, a 39th minute header from John Richardson fell on top of the net and John Lawford sent a 30-yard free-kick inches high on 41 minutes. A minute before the break Peter Clifford hung in the air to head Lawford's corner wide from close range.

There was no lack of effort from the Yeltz in the second half and Pope hit a 48th minute free-kick at the Chesham defensive wall. POPE then levelled the scores in the 49th minute by hitting home into the roof of the net from three yards out after fellow defender Nicki Preston turned Dave Haywood's corner back across the face of goal. In a good spell of passing play Forsdick headed at Jackson in the 55th minute but the Yeltz failed to build on the equaliser and switched off again at the back as Chesham regained the lead when SWEENEY was allowed to advance and hit a 20-yard drive beyond Taylor.

Chesham defended their lead solidly in the final half-hour, restricting Halesowen to an 80th minute effort when Haywood hammered a 25-yard drive just wide. In the final minute Lawford struck just wide of Taylor's post.