Yeltz 0 Histon 2

15 March 2005

I don't think there's any chance we can win automatic promotion now after a disappointing 2-0 loss to Histon at The Grove last night. Despite having a reasonable amount of the play, we didn't score for the third match running and had no answer when they scored two in the second-half.

However, let's not get too down-hearted. We are still in an excellent position for clinching a play-off place (which is probably what we deserve on performances so far), as long as we press on in our remaining games. We start with a home game against a struggling Rugby which I'd hope we can get 3 points from. We can do it!

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Amos, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Skidmore, Cowley, Haarhoff (Moore 80), Lamey, Baker (Smith 80), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Cooper, Bowater, Johnson

Histon: Key; Joseph, Okay, Hipperson, Vowden, A. Cambridge, Bridges, Andrews, Kennedy, I. Cambridge, Barker. Unused Subs: Knight-Percival, Gutzmore, Farrington, Webster, Hulyer.

Referee: J. Holbrook (Kidderminster) Attendance: 384

Booked: I. Cambridge (56), Cowley (71) Sponsors' Man of the Match: Steve Pope

Halesowen's play-off hopes took a massive dive with a disappointing defeat in a game that failed to live up to expectations as title favourites Histon moved up to second place in the table.

The Yeltz made an eager start but were forced to clear a 13th minute corner and a 14th minute free-kick as the visitors packed the 6-yard box.

Alex Cowley intercepted play in midfield in the 16th minute but goalkeeper Lance Key beat Nathan Lamey to his through ball and ten minutes later Jimmy Haarhoff almost latched onto a back-header from Lewis Baker. Home goalkeeper Chris Taylor lost the ball in the 31st minute but recovered to make a reflex save to deny Colin Vowden and on 34 minutes Ian Cambridge hit a 20-yard free-kick over the bar after Neil Andrews was brought down.

Dave Haywood hit a speculative 35-yard effort over the bar in the 38th minute after winning the ball well in midfield but Baker then missed the best chance of the half by heading a loose ball wide of an open goal in the 41st minute. A minute later Nicki Preston planted a firm header wide from Cowley's free-kick after Lamey was fouled.

The Yeltz dominated the start of the second half against the disappointing visitors who looked content with a draw and in the 52nd minute Key lost control of the ball when clearing but Simon Forsdick shot wide with the goalkeeper out of his area. Cowley then embarked on a weaving run to set Lamey free but Key saved. On the hour Key then saved from Lamey near his right-hand post with Baker hitting over the bar in a good spell of pressure.

After barely threatening the Halesowen goal all evening, Histon snatched a 63rd minute lead when a long throw in was only partly cleared and Taylor dropped the ball for Jamie BARKER to hammer home into the roof of the net from close range.

As Halesowen ran out of ideas, Neil Kennedy shot wide before Neil ANDREWS made it 2-0 in the 75th minute with an easy follow-up into an empty net after Barker's shot was deflected.

In the final minute Halesowen substitute Jason Moore shot meekly past the post when clear with demoralised Halesowen failing to score for the third consecutive game.