Yeltz 1 King's Lynn 0

09 April 2005

The indomitable Yeltz gained a critical three points with a deserved 1-0 victory against King's Lynn at The Grove. The winning goal was a Nathan penalty just before half-time which also resulted in a King's Lynn player getting sent off. Full details as ever in Dave's match report .

With other results going reasonably well for us we're back in 5th place in the table, and with only three games to go still have a good chance of reaching those play-offs. Our next game is on Saturday when we visit Grantham in a game we simply must get something out of.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Taylor; Skidmore, Haywood, Preston, Amos, Smith, Cowley, Moore, Lamey (Haarhoff 62), Baker, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Pope, Johnson, Gayle

King's Lynn: Wilson; Camm, Blake (Quistin 49), McMahon, Hammond, Clark, Defty, Harvey, Hay (Staff 66), Bloomfield, Angel. Unused Subs: O'Halloran, Forshaw, McAnally.

Referee: S. Robins (Bristol) Attendance: 502 Booked: Defty (80), Forsdick (83) Sent Off: Harvey (43) Sponsors' Man of the Match: Simon Forsdick

Halesowen moved back into a play-off position after completing the double against in-form Kings Lynn, who were reduced to ten men for the whole of the second half.

Stuart Skidmore put in a notable performance for hard-working Halesowen in a man-to-man marking role on Danny Bloomfield that saw the league's second highest scorer restricted to only a couple of chances. Once again the Halesowen substitute's bench could only boast one fully fit member, with Steve Pope still recovering from midweek concussion. Pope however, has pledged his future to the Yeltz by signing a new contract for next season.

Halesowen started in eager fashion and in the 3rd minute a right-wing corner from Dave Haywood was headed on by Lewis Baker but Jason Moore's shot was deflected onto the roof of the net and a minute later Nick Smith headed an Alex Cowley corner just wide. On 10 minutes Nathan Lamey was just beaten to a through ball from Simon Forsdick before Forsdick skipped down the left wing only to see his cross cleared by the visiting defence. Danny Hammond then made a crucial challenge in the 18th minute to take the ball off Lamey's toe in front of goal after Moore helped on another Cowley cross.

The Linnets won their first corner in the 21st minute and a minute later Sam McMahon's shot shaved the post after the ball was worked across from the right. Darren Hay then put the ball in the net on 34 minutes but the offside flag had already been raised.

King's Lynn goalkeeper Steve Wilson was almost caught out with two bad clearances in the 36th minute and on 41 minutes a volley from Lamey rolled just wide of the post.

The game's defining moment arrived in the 43rd minute when a superb right-wing cross from Cowley was handled by Stephen Harvey above his head with Moore lurking behind him and the referee had no option but to send off Harvey and reduce the visitors to ten-men. LAMEY stepped up to crack home the resulting 44th minute penalty down the centre of goal with Wilson only helping the fierce shot into the net.

Two minutes into the second half Forsdick weaved through the Linnets defence but his final chip fell just over the bar and a half-volley from Lamey on 49 minutes fell just past the post.

Home goalkeeper Chris Taylor collected from Bloomfield on the left after 55 minutes and then picked up Jack Defty's header from a 57th minute Mark Angel corner. Moore broke clear a minute later at the other end but shot straight at Wilson.

The Linnets created their best chance in the 64th minute after a neat interchange in the penalty area let in Bloomfield but Taylor did well to block. Bloomfield then headed high a minute later.

Lamey suffered an injury on the hour and was replaced by Jimmy Haarhoff and the striker caused the visiting defence some late trouble with his darting runs. However, Haarhoff's finishing was wayward and in the 69th minute he fired weakly wide. After a couple of corners in the 76th minute in which Haarhoff appeared to be elbowed, Moore turned the ball across the face of goal for a third corner.

With five minutes remaining Haarhoff robbed Hammond but blazed over the bar when free on goal with Wilson racing off his line. In injury time Angel's 20-yard shot flew over the bar but Halesowen easily held on to celebrate a deserved and vital three points.