News Story

Friendly Yeltz 4 Stourbridge Town 0

16 July 2005

Things are still OK in the world. The indomitable Yeltz gained their first victory of the season with a convincing 4-0 win over local rivals Stourbridge Town. Goals from The Pope, new bloke Steve Farmer and two from Nathan on a very hot afternoon clinched a comfortable and satisfying victory.

Our next fixture is now on Tuesday when the Albion visit The Grove in our traditional pre-season friendly.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: C. Taylor; Johnson, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Farmer, Amos, Forinton, Smith, Hay, Forsdick. Second Half Subs: Lamey, Cooper, O'Brien, Paszkowec, Harper.

Stourbridge: Evans; Southwick, Wood, Broadhurst, Bennett, Oliver, Heath, Field, Bellingham, Gennard, Rogers. Subs: R. Taylor, Wright, Ford, Rock, Hollick, Brown

Referee: D. Gratton (Solihull) Attendance: 257

Two goals in each half gave Halesowen a comfortable victory over Midland Alliance neighbours Stourbridge.

New home striker Gary Hay caught the eye early on by turning cleverly on the edge of the penalty area before thundering a 5th minute shot just wide. Nick Smith then drove just wide from 15 yards in the 22nd minute but two minutes later goalkeeper Chris Taylor was forced to race out and save at the feet of Mark Bellingham to deny the Glassboys.

Halesowen took the lead on the half-hour when Smith's cross was flicked onto the crossbar and last season's leading goalscorer Steve POPE turned the ball home from close range. Two minutes later former Nuneaton defender Steve FARMER rose to glance home a header from Simon Forsdick's corner. Five minutes before the interval Hay battled through the visiting defence but blasted the ball over the bar.

Substitute striker Nathan Lamey showed his class by adding two further second-half goals. Bellingham hit weakly wide for Stourbridge in the 53rd minute but Lamey turned well in the Stourbridge area three minutes later to fire just wide.

LAMEY drilled home Halesowen's third goal into the bottom corner from 15 yards on 64 minutes and twelve minutes later a fit-looking LAMEY latched onto a long ball out of defence and calmly prodded his second goal past goalkeeper Paul Evans.

Sandwiched between Lamey's goals, Jamie Oliver stabbed wide of an empty net for Stourbridge after Chris Taylor failed to gather Leon Broadhurst's 68th minute corner. In the dying minutes Nick Preston and Smith both went close for the hosts.