Mangotsfield 1 Yeltz 1 - Yeltz 3 Rugby 2

29 August 2005

The indomitable Yeltz had a reasonable holiday period, although as usual we always think we should have done better.

On Saturday we took the lead away at Mangotsfield through a Nathan goal, although as has become a common occurance so far this year we couldn't hold on and ended up drawing. Then on Monday we just about held on to beat 10-man Rugby 3-2 despite being 3-1 up through Alex, Amos and Smith. At least it's entertaining! More details in Dave's match report .

Next Saturday we travel to Grantham for an early kickoff (1pm) due to England's game in the afternoon.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Cooper, Forsdick, Preston, Pope, Farmer, Cowley, Lamey, Forinton, Smith, Amos. Unused Subs: Maguire, Johnson, Haywood, Skidmore, Pierpoint

Rugby Town: Wilson; Tullin, Gordon, Peaks, Gould, Squire, Green, Cross (Nicholls 73), Slinn, Stone, D. Williams (S. Williams 87). Unused Subs: Maddox, Kattos, Wesley

Referee: I. Hamilton (Cheltenham) Attendance: 375 Sent Off: Wilson (70) Booked: Forinton (43), Tullin (57)

Halesowen made heavy weather of recording their first home win against 10-man Rugby in a game short on quality.

An instantly forgettable opening was eventually brought to life after 28 minutes when Howard Forinton laid the ball off for Alex COWLEY to pick his spot and beat goalkeeper Steve Wilson from 15 yards. Cowley then struck wide on the half-hour and a minute later Simon Forsdick put Nathan Lamey clear but his shot was blocked after he side-stepped the last defender. Forsdick and Cowley were then blocked in front of goal and at the other end Steve Pope tidied up after Kevin Slinn clattered into young goalkeeper Dean Coleman as the visitors forced two 35th minute corners.

Before the interval Rob Gould was dispossessed with Forinton hitting over the bar and Nick Smith rolled a shot past the post. Forinton then received a needless 43rd minute booking born out of his frustration before crossing inches too high for Lamey. Forinton's 45th minute right-wing cross was then met by a Lamey volley, but Wilson produced a magical save to keep the ball out.

Halesowen increased their lead in the 55th minute when Rugby failed to clear Cowley's corner and Nick AMOS poked home from close range with a defender only helping the ball over the line.

But Rugby were given hope when the home defence failed to pick up David Stone from a short corner and SQUIRE headed past Coleman at the near post in the 60th minute. The two-goal advantage was restored in simple fashion just a minute later when SMITH hooked into the net following a mix-up between goalkeeper Wilson and Andy Peakes.

In a game with increasing tempo, Coleman seemed to have claimed a 63rd minute cross but then lost the ball with his defence clearing for a corner. With Rugby's defence looking fragile, Forsdick's 64th minute cross fell on top of the bar and Wilson saved well from Smith. Wilson then raced off his line in the 66th minute to save from Lamey following a defence-splitting pass from Forsdick.

Rugby goalkeeper Wilson was dismissed with a red card in the 70th minute for handling inches outside his area as he attempted to save from Lamey and Chris Tullin took over in goal.

But Halesowen failed to take advantage against the 10-men of Rugby and ended up suffering from more late jitters. Stone made a brilliant 80-yard full-length right-wing run in the 76th minute and the resulting cross from John Nicholls was missed by Coleman giving Kevin SLINN the easy task of reducing the arrears after the ball rebounded off the crossbar.

The Yeltz failed to severely test Tullin although a 77th minute header from Steve Farmer was cleared off the line and an 80th minute shot from Pope was saved at the foot of the post. Lamey then made an 81st minute run and saw his shot diverted just past the post.

Rugby had several chances to claim a dramatic late equaliser but Halesowen clung on with Coleman saving Squire's header at the second attempt in the 90th minute.