Yeltz 0 Salisbury 1

17 September 2005

A disappointing 1-0 defeat to early league leaders Salisbury means we're very much in mid-table at this early stage. No lead to throw away this time, and from the brief account I have we didn't deserve anything more. See Dave's match report for full details.

Back to more positive thoughts - we're back in FA Cup action on Saturday when we travel to Glapwell of the Northern Counties East Premier. They've had a reasonable start to their season, but are two levels below us in the Pyramid so we should get through. Let's hope so!

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Cooper (Johnson 75), Haywood, Preston, Pope, Farmer (Strachan 75), Cowley, Lamey, Forinton, N. Smith, Forsdick (C. Smith 82). Unused Subs: Pierpoint, Amos

Salisbury City: Sawyer; Bartlett, Browne, Cook, Bond, Widdrington, Turk, Regis, Sales, Tubbs, Ferrett (Haddow 82). Unused Subs: Davis, Richardson, Holmes, Arthur

Referee: L. Tavinder (Cheddleton, Staffs.) Attendance: 401 Booked: Pope (73), Widdrington (79)

Table-topping Salisbury underlined their promotion potential by ending Halesowen's six-game unbeaten run.

Halesowen's Nathan Lamey was first to a long ball from Dave Haywood in the 5th minute but chipped wide of goalkeeper Kevin Sawyer.

But the Yeltz barely tested Sawyer during an uneventful first half with the unbeaten Whites creating the better chances inspired by Christopher Ferrett down the left wing.

Haywood cleared a Paul Sales header off the line in the 19th minute after Ferrett delivered Salisbury's first corner with the follow-up from Matthew Tubbs near the post turned away for a second corner. Home goalkeeper Dean Coleman took out a cross from Rene Regis on 23 minutes with Ferrett free in the centre and on 32 minutes Widdrington volleyed a part-cleared corner wide of the mark.

Coleman easily collected a 35th minute looping header from Timothy Bond but Halesowen's defence was exposed again twice before the interval. A poor midfield pass from Nick Smith allowed Ferrett to find Tubbs but he flashed wide in the 38th minute and a couple of minutes later Coleman failed to gather a Sales header from Ferrett's corner but Bond put the rebound past the post.

Halesowen displayed a little more urgency after half-time, but Ian Cooper's 48th minute shot was easily saved by Sawyer before a header from Tubbs dropped just over the bar at the other end.

Sawyer produced an excellent save from Nathan Lamey's 55th minute shot from 20-yards after Steve Pope headed down in what proved to be Halesowen's best chance of the afternoon.

On the hour Coleman beat away a rasping drive from Ferrett and then parried away a fierce drive from Tubbs at the near post four minutes later. Sandwiched in between, Steve Farmer's header struck the back of the net from Alex Cowley's cross but Howard Forinton had already impeded goalkeeper Sawyer and the goal was disallowed.

Salisbury grabbed the winning goal in the 66th minute when SALES headed home directly from Ferrett's right-wing corner.

The Yeltz looked happier after a late change of formation and enjoyed the majority of possession in the final minutes. Aaron Cook made an important clearance as Sawyer failed to gather Forinton's 72nd minute shot with Lamey bearing down on goal.

However, it was man-of-the-match Ferrett who caused further confusion with a 74th minute cross and the visitors should have added a second goal in the 82nd minute when Tubbs screwed over the bar from close range.