BSC Yeltz 1 Redditch 0

04 October 2005

Another win for the indomitable Yeltz as we progressed through to the next round of the B'ham Senior Cup with a one-oh victory over Redditch. A rare goal from Dave Haywood just before half-time cliched it, and it's good to see Ben Steane made a comeback after a long period of injury.

On Saturday we're in cup action again, this time the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round at home to Bromsgrove. As well as the glory of the cup and the attraction of playing league sides, it's important that we win for the prize money that a good run generates - all in all a very important game. Don't forget we kick off at 2pm because of the England game afterwards.

Match Report from Darren

Halesowen Town team:- Coleman, Johnson, Haywood, Preston (c), Pierpoint (Forsdick 81), Cooper, Steane (Cowley 65), Lamey, C Smith, N Smith, Skidmore (Amos 72). Unused subs:- Forinton, Pope

Redditch United:- Solly, Clarke, Pearce, Scheppel, Knight (c), Flynn, Moore, Doyle, Rickards, Woodley, Charlton. Unused subs:- Creighton, Jenkins, Taylor Unused, Cornelius

Attendance: 227

Halesowen Town progressed to the 3rd round of the Birmingham Senior Cup with a hard fought and well deserved victory against Nationwide North rivals Redditch United at the Grove.

Straight from the kick off Nathan Lamey ran at the Redditch defence and hit a shot off target. With the returning Ben Steane in midfield, his probing 9th minute cross was well collected by Solly in the Reds goal. Scheppel went close on 15 minutes with a snapshot from the edge of the area that went over.

A foul by Pearce on Lamey resulted in a free kick which Lamey hit wide on 21 minutes. Good work by Nick Smith on 33 minutes allowed the ball to fall to namesake Chris who lobbed just wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Coleman was alert to another long range effort on 36 minutes. A break on 37 minutes allowed Rickards to cross for the incoming Wilding, but the defence stood firm and blocked. A corner was then headed just over by Wilding on 39 minutes as Redditch showed signs of pressuring the Yeltz goal.

A 41st minute run at the defence by Chris Smith from the right allowed him to feed a through ball to Lamey who's miscued shot fell to DAVE HAYWOOD who rounded the keeper and put the Yeltz one up. Cooper then drove just wide in first half injury time after good work from Steane.

Early second half pressure resulted in a corner to Halesowen and Nick Smith met the quickly taken short corner and saw his header tipped over by Solly on 51 minutes. A corner from Charlton on 57 was well gathered by Coleman in the Halesowen goal.

A Haywood free kick on 61 minutes was excellently headed towards the Redditch goal by Nathan Lamey but the ball struck the crossbar and went over.

Sustained Redditch pressure in the final quarter of the game came to very little and Halesowen could have doubled their advantage on 85 minutes when Cowley picked up a loose ball but shot just wide.