WSC 2R Kidderminster 1 Yeltz 2 (aet)

14 December 2005

The mighty Yeltz gained a morale boosting if tiring victory over Kiddy in the WSC, when we came from behind to gain a late extra time victory. Despite going behind at half-time, The Pope managed to equalise from the spot before Nathan gained what sounds like a well-deserved very late winner. Full details in Dave's match report .

So on to Saturday when Tamworth visit The Grove in an exciting FA Trophy 1st Round tie. We all know they've gone up in the world recently (and we've gone down a bit too), but I still can't help thinking we've got a good chance. Let's hope so anyway!

Match Report from DJ

Kidderminster Harriers: Danby (Harper 91); Graves, Ludlow, Hurren, McHale, Byrne, Wilson, Manning (Davis 102), Butler, Sheldon, Eaton (Facey 79). Unused Subs: Dawson, Meyrick.

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Johnson, Haywood, Pierpoint, Pope, Skidmore, N. Smith (Amos HT), C. Smith (Lamey 86), Forinton, Cooper, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Cowley, Preston.

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham) Attendance: 269 Booked: Ludlow (15), Skidmore (54), Pope (97)

Worcestershire Senior Cup holders Halesowen recovered from a half-time deficit to win through in extra-time with a storming finish.

Unlucky Simon Forsdick struck the woodwork three times and had another good effort cleared off the line before substitute Nathan Lamey joined the late party by also striking the post before notching a deserved extra-time winner.

Kidderminster elected to name five players with first team experience this term under the stewardship of caretaker-manager Martin O'Connor and the youngsters had much the better of the first half.

Gareth Sheldon returned from recent injury to shoot at Halesowen goalkeeper Dean Coleman in the 5th minute. Tom BYRNE then gave the Harriers a 17th minute lead by curling the ball just inside the top left-hand corner at the second attempt. Mitch Butler volleyed wide on 24 minutes and Sheldon hit a bicycle-kick over the bar two minutes later.

Halesowen's only real attempt of the first period came on the half-hour when Forsdick laid the ball off for Dave Haywood to cross and home goalkeeper John Danby lost the ball under pressure from Nick Smith before the ball was cleared.

The Yeltz improved markedly after the break. Forsdick's 48th minute shot was turned onto the post by Danby but Steve POPE levelled by smashing home from the penalty spot in the 50th minute after Howard Forinton was pulled back by Troy Manning.

After winning two corners in the 56th minute, Halesowen broke again in the 63rd minute following a Kiddy midfield slip with Chris Smith setting Forinton free, but he wasted the chance. Chris Smith then hit over the bar from 18 yards in the 69th minute. Ian Cooper's 71st minute volley was blocked and from the rebound Forinton was denied by Danby. Four minutes later Forinton pulled the ball back across goal to Forsdick but his goal-bound shot was cleared off the line by Chris McHale. Seconds before the end of normal time Lamey lobbed just over the bar from a long Coleman clearance and Forinton blasted over the stand when clear on goal.

Two minutes into extra-time Lamey fed Forsdick and he turned in the area before crashing the ball off the underside off the crossbar. Laurie Wilson hit a 95th minute free-kick past the post for the increasingly quiet and tired hosts but Halesowen clawed the ball away at the foot of the post from Gavin Hurren's header and Sheldon's follow-up. After 104 minutes substitute home goalkeeper Thomas Harper saved from Forsdick at the second attempt and a fierce Stuart Skidmore shot was blocked with Harper beating the ball away from Lamey's resulting corner.

The Yeltz finished strongly in the second period of extra-time with Lamey shooting just past the left upright after 111 minutes. A minute later Skidmore won the ball in midfield and set up Lamey but his 15-yard strike struck the left-hand post. Remarkably, Forsdick struck the post again in the 116th minute and McHale cleared off the line from Lamey a minute later.

The marathon tie was finally settled in the 118th minute when Forinton headed on a long Coleman goal-kick for Lamey to expertly beat the poorly positioned home goalkeeper Harper from 20 yards. In the final minute Coleman secured Halesowen's hand on the Cup with a fine reflex save to deny substitute Ray Facey.