News Story

Yeltz 1 Chippenham 2

14 January 2006

A good performance led to nothing, as the mighty Yeltz came up just short against championship chasing Chips and Ham. A first half equaliser from Alex got us in the game, but they took the lead again and despite some pressure we couldn't get an equaliser.

If you haven't seen it, check out the match videos at Yeltzy Mad's web site . These are an excellent addition to the Yeltz web sites and are much appreciated - well done Simon!

Our next few games look a little easier, starting with a game on Saturday at Chesham. No game appears to be easy (for us anyway!) but we really need to get our good run going again if we are going to challenge for promotion at all.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Pierpoint (Cooper 81), Haywood, Hadland, Pope, Knight, Cowley (C. Smith 78), Lamey, Forinton, Amos, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Skidmore, Johnson, N. Smith

Chippenham Town: Perrin; Charity, Jones, Adams, McEntegart, Badman, Allison, Herring, Gilroy (Rawlins 78), Griffin (Thorne 71), Kirk. Unused Subs: A. Stanley, Jefferies, N. Stanley

Referee: N. Radford (Worcester) Attendance: 463 Booked: Forinton, Cowley, Amos, Badman Sponsors' Man of the Match: Gary Knight

Battling Halesowen unfortunately left the field empty-handed as the high-flying Bluebirds made it nine wins from their last ten games.

However, in-form second-placed Chippenham were first on the attack as the Yeltz made a slow start. Dean Coleman collected Ian Herring's 9th minute corner and a minute later Dave Gilroy broke free but could only shoot weakly at Coleman under pressure from Gary Knight.

But GILROY then gave the visitors a 12th minute lead with a simple tap-in from Alan Griffin's right wing cross.

Alex Cowley eventually flashed a shot wide for Halesowen after 16 minutes and saw his 20th minute free-kick headed away for a corner by Ross Adams. Nathan Lamey then struck a weak half-volley after 22 minutes after being set up by Simon Forsdick.

COWLEY levelled the scores in the 26th minute when he sneaked in front of last man Ben Kirk to poke home under goalkeeper Steve Perrin after Dave Haywood's free-kick by-passed the visiting defence.

cleared. Stuart Pierpoint's pinpoint cross on 38 minutes then found Forsdick, but he dragged his shot wide from the left. On the stroke of half-time Perrin produced a splendid save to keep out Steve Pope's 20-yard volley.

At the start of the second period Forinton played the ball back across the Chippenham area but Pope's attempt was blocked.

KIRK restored Chippenham's lead on the hour when he volleyed through the Halesowen defence from 18-yards to beat Coleman after Herring's free-kick was only half-cleared.

Halesowen almost responded immediately when Perrin punched out Cowley's 61st minute free-kick and a close range effort from Nick Amos was cleared off the line.

Coleman saved Sam Allison's 65th minute header from Herring's corner but the visitors then survived some late pressure to keep up the heat on league-leaders Salisbury.

Perrin made a good save from Forinton's 79th minute wide-angled effort, Forsdick drove wide after the visitors failed to clear their lines after 82 minutes and Adams blocked Forinton's shot on the turn a minute later. Two minutes from time Amos saw his glancing header fall agonisingly wide from Lamey's corner.