Salisbury 0 Yeltz 1 - Yeltz 1 Cheshunt 1

11 March 2006

So we beat league favourites Salisbury away one week and then can't beat lowly Cheshunt at The Grove. What's all that about?

Once again our inconsistency has cost us, and every time we get a little bit of hope it's snatched away - very frustrating! It isn't quite over as we're 10 points behind Bedford in the last playoff spot with a game in hand, but there's no real sign (yet!) we're going to put a decent run together.

We're at home to Mangotsfield on Saturday, another of those teams with an outside chance of going up, so if we are going to make a go of it we must win. What do you reckon?

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Johnson, Haywood, Preston, Knight, Cooper, Cowley, C. Smith (Francis 73), Forinton, Amos, Forsdick (N. Smith 73). Unused Subs: Skidmore, Pierpoint, Teraud.

Cheshunt: Kalli; Wattley, Parry, Gyoury, A. Fenton, Jones, D. Fenton, Obeng, Highton, Samuel, Deane. Unused Subs: Perifimou, Dauti, Dix, Peat

Referee: S. Attwell (Nuneaton) Attendance: 347 Booked: Cowley (41) Sponsors' Man of the Match: Nick Amos

Halesowen had to settle for another home draw despite totally dominating the opening hour with a renewed team spirit. But after failing to secure a vital second goal, Cheshunt mounted a late revival.

Busy visiting goalkeeper Michael Kalli was lucky to escape after juggling Dave Haywood's 7th minute corner but grew in confidence as he punched clear Haywood's 20th minute free-kick with Cheshunt pinned back in their own half. Howard Forinton tried a crafty chip from a 24th minute free-kick on the edge of the penalty area after Nick Amos was fouled, but the ball went high over the bar. Kalli then did well to stop Alex Cowley's low curling shot two minutes later. A 27th minute cross from Chris Smith was then parried away by Kalli but there was no supporting striker to follow up.

The Yeltz took a deserved lead after 28 minutes when AMOS rose to head home Haywood's right wing corner from close range.

It took Cheshunt 32 minutes to register their first attack but the visitors then forced four corners before half-time with causing any real danger. However, a minute before the interval home goalkeeper Dean Coleman raced smartly off his line to deny Aaron Samuel on a dangerous Cheshunt break.

Halesowen started the second half on fire and kept up the pressure in search of an elusive second goal, only to be denied by Kalli's heroics. Simon Forsdick's fired at Kalli after 48 minutes and seconds later Coleman collected a Dean Fenton volley low down at the other end.

Forsdick laid the ball off for Forinton on 50 minutes but Kalli produced a fine save and from the resulting corner Amos was unlucky to see his header rebound off the post. Kalli then kept out Forinton's 52nd minute effort from Forsdick's pass after Anthony Fenton completely missed his kick on the tricky playing surface. Forsdick hammered Forinton's 53rd minute lay-off just wide and Forsdick's 62nd minute dipping shot from 25 yards was tipped over the bar by Kalli.

Home goalkeeper Coleman lost the ball under challenge in the 67th minute but Bobby Highton hit the loose ball over the bar from 20 yards. However, the move signalled a dramatic change in fortunes as Cheshunt finished the game strongly and the visitors stunned Halesowen after 73 minutes when Michael DEANE equalised with a fabulous 20-yard curling shot into the top corner beyond Coleman.

With Cheshunt suddenly looking lively and the more likely to score, Deane struck just wide on 80 minutes after a good run and Dean Fenton headed at Coleman with five minutes remaining.