I stopped keeping this site up-to-date many years ago, so if you've ended up here I'm afraid there's nothing much of interest to see any more.

Other Halesowen Town websites:

21st Century Stuff

I made a Yeltzland app for iPhone/iPad and Android, which lets you read all about the Yeltz in one place.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

You can also add the Yeltz fixture list into your calendar - instructions can be found here.

News Stories 1997-2006 ...

Follow Your Instinct

Even older than the original Yeltzland website, we wrote a HTFC fanzine between 1991 and 1994.

I've started scanning in the originals, and you can download the PDFs from the FYI home page.

Review of the 1995-96 season

Re-live one of the greatest seasons of the mighty Yeltz's long history in DJ's comprehensive review

Why are we called The Yeltz?

No one knows for sure, but here's an summary from the excellent Yeltzmen book that's the best explanation we have!




Dover 0 Yeltz 3

In a fantastic and totally unexpected way, we're right back in with a chance of staying up after a stunning 3-0 victory away at Dover. Another goal from Mark Danks followed by two from Frazer (one a penalty) hasn't moved us up the table but we're now only in the bottom four on goal difference - which has been much-improved tonight.

Another tough game on Saturday when we visit 2nd place Chippenham . Now obviously we beat them in the Cup last week so we must have a chance, and let's hope we can continue our excellent run of late and pick up another point or three.




Yeltz 1 Cambridge 1

We really needed three points today, and although most other results went for us we're still three points from safety with a game in hand. It was looking a lot worse when we went behind just before half-time, but came back through another excellent goal from Mark Danks.

On Monday we make the long journey down to Dover to play that game in hand. It's going to be very difficult, but we gave them a good game at The Grove earlier in the season so let's hope we can get something out of the game.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell (Leadbeater 75), Hines, Bauress, Collins, Stone, Williams, Ashby, Danks, McHugh, Skidmore. Unused Subs: Master, Charlton, Trainer, Spencer

Cambridge City: Davies; Wignall, Wardley, Wooding, Vowden, Sturgess, Niven, Hayes, Gutzmore, Bloomfield (Paynter 88), Simpson (Wilkin 75). Unused Subs: Rice, Huggins, Calton

Referee: T. J. Sim (Burton) Attendance: 506 Booked: Stone (34)

A crucial relegation six-pointer ended all-square and although another failure to beat a lower table side at home was a disappointment, the second half equaliser still provided hope of escaping the bottom four.

Halesowen started confidently, looking to build on an excellent week that saw a 3-1 victory at Ilkeston followed by their progression to the Dr Martens Cup Final by defeating high-flying Chippenham. On loan Bantam Mark Danks forced a 5th minute corner and then skipped through the Cambridge defence on 12 minutes but saw his teasing shot fall just wide of goal. Goalkeeper Tim Clarke easily collected a 16th minute effort from Cambridge full-back Jack Wignall and two minutes later Frazer McHugh superbly turned his marker from a Gavin Stone cross but shot inches wide.

Cambridge came back strongly in the 25th minute and Clarke could only punch Stuart Niven's corner under challenge by Robbie Simpson and the ball landed for Leon Gutzmore on the line but Richard Colwell was on hand to make a vital clearance. On 28 minutes a Les Hines free-kick was turned away for a corner taken by Lee Williams with the ball breaking for Hines to volley from 25 yards and force a spectacular save from Martin Davies.

The visitors took a 39th minute lead when NIVEN beat off the challenges of Stuart Skidmore and Lee Collins in the area to fire past Clarke from 10 yards. A minute before the break the visitors went close again with Simpson just inches from meeting a Gutzmore cross with his attempt at a diving header as Halesowen endured their worst 15-minute spell of the game after falling behind. Just thirty seconds into the second-half Clarke turned a 15-yard shot from Adie Hayes around the post.

However, the Yeltz then battled back into the game and created a number of chances before deservedly equalising. On 53 minutes Colwell won the ball in midfield and fed Jason Ashby on the left, but McHugh couldn't find enough power in his header from Ashby's cross to beat Davies against the blustery wind. On the hour Gary Bauress linked up with Williams to put McHugh through on goal but his dipping 20-yard shot fell just over the bar. Five minutes later Halesowen missed their best chance so far when Ashby chested down a Williams cross to leave himself clear on goal but he missed the target from 12 yards out with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Halesowen eventually levelled on 67 minutes when Williams drove through the Cambridge defence and the ball broke for DANKS to fire home just inside the post from the edge of the penalty area. Brendan Philips then gambled for a winner with 15 minutes remaining by replacing full-back Colwell with striker Richard Leadbeater.

Both sides had late chances to win the game although the draw was a fair outcome. Ashby beat his marker but drove wide in the 79th minute, a 20-yard Williams drive then drifted just wide and Collins headed over the bar for Halesowen while Danny Bloomfield missed a good opportunity for Cambridge by firing high in space from 10 yards in the 85th minute. A minute from full-time Danks almost stole in between Davies and Wooding but hit the side-netting from a tight angle.




DMC SF Yeltz 2 Chippenham 1

Despite our poor league form we've been mostly excellent in Cups this season, and we continued in that vein to reach the League Cup final through a 2-1 victory against Chippenham. After going behind in the first half, we came back through 2 pens from Fraser McHugh to earn a well-deserved victory.

The final will be against Crawley, but I'm not sure about the format yet - never paid much attention to the competition this far to be honest. I'm sure someone will let me know.

More good news tonight when relegation rivals Hastings lost at Bath, and if we can beat Cambridge on Saturday we'll be right back in the thick of things. Let's hope we can take some confidence from tonight into the rest of the season.




Ilkeston 1 Yeltz 3

After the recent disappointments, it's great to report a victory against a poor Ilkeston side who look certain to go down. Goals from new bloke Mark Danks (he scored for Bradford against the Albion in the Cup), a McHugh penalty ( view video - thanks to Chris Davis) and a third from Jason has at least kept us within some sort of reach of safety.

With all of the teams above us drawing we've 'closed' to 4 points of safety , and with Cambridge visiting The Grove next Saturday let's hope we can get even closer.

However, we've got the distraction of a League Cup semi-final against Chips'n'ham on Tuesday. It would be great to beat them, but it really is a case of concentrating on the league at the moment.




Yeltz 0 Weymouth 1

Two crucial games and two awful defeats. In what was probably a must win game, the mighty Yeltz lost 1-0 to Weymouth through a goal just before half-time. Full details in Dave's match report .

I can't remember being more depressed - even two years ago when we went down we could kid ourselves it was an aberration and we really are a Premier Division team, but at this moment in time it's hard to convince anyone that's true.

Still onwards and upwards. We're at bottom-placed Ilkeston on Saturday so we can hope we can still turn the corner and get out of the bottom four. Three points really are essential this time.

Positive vibes (if you can)

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Hines, Bauress (Trainer 78), Collins, Stone, Williams, Ashby, Master (Dunkley 61), McHugh, Skidmore. Unused Subs: Smith, Charlton, Leadbeater

Weymouth: Matthews, Tully, S. Browne, A. Browne, Kenway, Bailey, Robinson, Hutchinson, Sullivan, Laws, Phillips. Unused Subs: Ashford, Whiteman, Sajic, Hale

Referee: A. Henley (Cradley) Attendance: 294 Booked: Skidmore (7)

Halesowen's season continued to deteriorate into a haunting re-run of their relegation two years ago as they failed to score for the 10th time in 15 home league games.

A poor advert for Dr Martens Premier football saw Weymouth bounce back from a 4-1 thrashing at bottom side Ilkeston to jump out of the relegation zone in a must-win game for the two relegation threatened teams.

Stuart Skidmore received a 7th minute booking for an over-eager challenge but with much-changed Halesowen continuing where they left off the previous Saturday against Chelmsford, it wasn't until the half hour that the Weymouth defence was troubled in a five-minute spell of pressure.

On 28 minutes Mark Kenway headed over his own bar and from the corner Lee Collins saw his effort grabbed at the second attempt by goalkeeper Jason Matthews at the base of the post. A minute later Jason Ashby broke and crossed from the left but Kirk Master's header was off-target and Lee Williams hit the loose ball over the bar in what proved to be Halesowen's best chance of the night. A Collins header was then cleared off the goal-line by Danny Bailey from a Williams corner.

Weymouth then went on to enjoy their own best spell with a Lee Phillips header bouncing just over the bar from Steve Tully's cross on 33 minutes. Martyn Sullivan weaved into the Halesowen area after 38 minutes but missed the goal and recently-returned favourite striker David Laws put the loose ball wide. A minute later Sullivan's 15-yard shot forced a one-handed reflex save from Tim Clarke. Almost inevitably, Weymouth grabbed the decisive goal in the 40th minute when PHILLIPS took advantage of sloppy defending to fire home from the edge of the box.

As in recent performances, Halesowen heads dropped after falling behind in a second half bereft of entertainment. Williams curled a 55th minute shot straight at Matthews but it was the Terras who could have increased the lead on 65 minutes when Ian Hutchison set up Laws, but he blasted high from a good position. Three minutes from full-time Matthews made a fine blocking save from substitute Phil Trainer after a Les Hines corner with the final whistle being greeted with silence from the lowest ever Grove attendance in the Southern Premier League.




Yeltz 0 Chelmsford 2

In a game critical to our chances of avoiding relegation, the mighty Yeltz went down 2-0 to fellow strugglers Chelmsford City at The Grove. Two first-half goals means we're still 5 points from safety and on current form looking a good bet to go straight back down. Full match details in DJ's match report .

All this makes Tuesday's game at home to Weymouth even more important. We stuffed them 4-1 earlier in the season, and if we can't get three points against them I just can't see any way we can stay up. No pressure there then.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: T. Clarke; Colwell, Charlton (Trainer 52), Bauress, Collins, Stone, Williams, Ashby, May (Leadbeater 52), McHugh, Hines. Unused Subs: Skidmore, Smith, Master.

Chelmsford City: Nicholls; Statham, Cousins, Basham, Wiles, Slatter (Reid 84), Cross, Rutherford, Dean, Watkins (Samuels 73), Berkley. Unused Subs: S. Clarke, Lay, Lakin

Referee: G. Law (Leicester) Attendance: 462 Booked: Charlton (39)

Despite their early dominance goal-shy Halesowen were hit by two goals just before half-time in a smash-and-grab raid by the Chelmsford forwards.

Desperately needing a win to bolster their league position, Halesowen started brightly and on-loan Lee Williams latched onto a 2nd minute defensive slip but fired high from a good position. Williams then flicked on a right-wing cross to Jason Ashby on 15 minutes but the young striker hit the side-netting from two yards as he attempted to round goalkeeper Paul Nicholls, who was injured in the process. A deep 19th minute cross from Williams was then met by Leroy May's header but the struggling Nicholls managed to grab the ball.

At the other end, Tim Clarke grabbed an Ian Cousins free-kick and then easily took the ball as Chelmsford won two 20th minute corners.

Hungry Halesowen were well on top at this stage and continued to create chances with a 22nd minute Williams volley drifting just wide from a Les Hines cross. Frazer McHugh then shot inches wide on 24 minutes and a minute later looked certain to score but was denied on the line by Gary Cross after Ashby helped the ball on. Cross was then unlucky to see the ball flash past Halesowen's post when his shot took a nasty deflection off skipper Lee Collins.

On the half-hour Collins could only head weakly past the post from a Hines corner before the Yeltz were punished for missing their chances. Chelmsford's stunned the home crowd by taking a 32nd minute lead when Dale Watkins crossed from the left for the unmarked Phil DEAN to steal in and head past Clarke, despite Clarke almost making a spectacular stop.

Asa Charlton received a booking as frustration grew and in the 40th minute May powered a header wide of the mark from another Hines cross. Worse followed for the Yeltz in the 43rd minute when slack defending allowed Austin Berkley to find WATKINS and the experienced striker hammered home from 8 yards to increase the lead.

Halesowen heads dropped alarmingly in the second period and injured City goalkeeper Nicholls was never seriously tested despite an early double substitution. With Chelmsford looking comfortable with their lead, Watkins curled just wide on the hour and then influential midfielder Danny Slatter forced a low save from Clarke on 80 minutes.

Halesowen's final opportunity arrived 8 minutes from time from a great Williams cross but both Ashby and Leadbeater waited too long to fire the trigger from close range and the danger was cleared.




DMC Yeltz P Chippenham P

With the freezing weather cancelling the League Cup semi-final against Chippenham (provisionally rearranged for March 4th), we need to pick up some points in the League very quickly.

We've got an excellent chance to do just that, with the next 3 games against Chelmsford and Weymouth at The Grove and then Ilkeston away. We can, and probably must, take 9 points from those games, so it's really the crucial part of what's been a difficult season so far. However I've still got every confidence we can do it. Come on!




Crawley 4 Yeltz 0

We travelled in hope of a point but ended up being completely overrun by a half-decent team.

Actually the result is a bit flattering to them. We had the better of the first half despite being one down to a rubbish goal, but when we went 2-0 it was really all over. Two more very poor goals from rubbish defending plus a sending off for Asa Charlton meant our mini-revival was emphatically over, and with Weymouth winning again we're now 5 points from safety .

I'm sure you've all seen that the League Cup semi-final against Chippenham at The Grove has been arranged at short notice for Tuesday , so make sure you let everyone know. It's going to be tough but our cup form has been excellent this year so let's hope for the best.

LATEST: Chippenham game is off!




DMC Bedworth 0 Yeltz 2

Our excellent cup form continued as the mighty Yeltz reached their second semi-final this year with a 2-0 victory over Bedworth in the League Cup. A first minute goal from new bloke Lee Williams and a last minute one from Kirk took us through to play Chips'n'ham next Tuesday at The Grove , despite what everyone previously thought - the other semi is now Chelmsford vs. King's Lynn.

Saturday takes us to Crawley in an important league game (aren't they all?). They've slipped down to halfway recently - they were second just after they easily beat us in September - so let's be hopeful of picking up something from the game.

P.S. There's a new vote on whether you think we'll stay up or not.

Match Report from DJ

Bedworth United: R. Williams; McGregor, Crowley (D. Williams 27), Everitt, Richardson, Hood, Steane, Kelly, O'Toole (McVarish 15), Ross, Whitmore (Abercrombie 72). Unused Subs: Gibson, Iyayi

Halesowen Town: Adamson; Medou-Otye, Charlton, Smith, Stone, Trainer (Skidmore 70), L. Williams, Master, Leadbeater (Ashby 72), McHugh, Hines. Unused Subs: Colwell, Collins.

Referee: I. Scarr (Rubery)

Halesowen progressed with goals in the first and last minutes but missed a whole host of good chances in between. The victory lined-up a semi-final against the winners of the Kings Lynn and Grantham tie.

Showing six changes from Saturday, the Yeltz went ahead within seconds of the start when classy Lee WILLIAMS curled the ball around goalkeeper Richard Williams from the edge of the box. Lee Williams had the goalkeeper in all sorts of trouble again four minutes later when his right-wing cross struck the far post.

Chris Adamson beat away a 20-yard shot from Scott McGregor in the 12th minute when Neil Smith lost possession in midfield and then raced smartly off his line to dive at the feet of ex-Yeltz striker Lee Ross as Ben Steane took a quick free-kick.

On 32 minutes Kirk Master beat his marker but chipped just the wrong side of the post and seconds later Richard Leadbeater screwed just wide of the left upright. Three minutes before the break Adamson grabbed a Paul Kelly header with ease.

Leadbeater missed a great opportunity five minutes into the second half when he weakly hit the post from close range following a good cross from the right by Master. Bedworth broke straight down the other end and Ross met a deep cross from Steane with substitute Ian McVarish blasting wide from 2 yards out. In a spell of home pressure, a 54th minute cross from McGregor needed just a touch from Ross, but Asa Charlton was able to clear before Charlton headed off the line again a minute later.

Halesowen should have increased their lead but were denied by a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping. In the 63rd minute a cross from Parfait Medou-Otye was screwed wide by Master and three minutes later Richard Williams beat the ball away from Lee Williams after he raced into the box. On 68 minutes Master hit at Williams when put clear and Master found himself clear again two minutes later but James Richardson got back well to clear off the line after Master had rounded goalkeeper Williams. A Lee Williams cross struck the top of the bar on 75 minutes and on 84 minutes Fraser McHugh was guilty of striking the side-netting when put free by Master. Five minutes from time Master looked offside but was allowed to proceed but again failed to beat Williams when clear on goal.

The second goal finally arrived in the dying seconds when McHugh broke from midfield and although Williams saved again from substitute Jason Ashby the rebound fell for MASTER to turn home.




Yeltz 1 Havant 0

Although we're still in big trouble, it's essential we pick up points against other teams at the bottom (and there are loads of them) especially at The Grove. Today we did just that with a 1-0 victory over Havant through an early Leroy May goal. Full details in DJ's match report .

We're still 20th in the table with Weymouth winning as well, but we're now only 4 points from safety so it's still all to play for.

There's been even more movement in the transfer market, with Ross Collins leaving (to the end of the season at least) and Lee Williams coming in from Cheltenham. Ross has been a fantastic servant for the club and it's a real shame to have to let him go, but let's hope all the recent signings can help us stay up.

On Tuesday we travel to Bedworth in the Quarter Final of the League Cup, and then next Saturday we go to Crawley in a rearranged league game.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Charlton, Skidmore, Collins, Stone, Williams, Ashby, L. May (Leadbeater 77), McHugh, Hines. Unused Subs: Master, Medou-Otye, Smith, Trainer

Havant & Waterlooville: Kerr, Masson, Ferrett (Leworthy 77), Davis, Hall, Hanson, Blake, Hambley, Howe (Hale HT), Taylor, Haughton. Unused Subs: Turner, Fennemore, S. May

Referee: M. Weaver (Bearwood) Attendance: 429 Booked: Skidmore (19) Sponsors Man of the Match: Gavin Stone

Halesowen notched an important first league win of 2003 to boost their chances of escaping from the relegation-danger zone.

After an even opening Leroy MAY scored the early decisive goal in the 13th minute when he pulled away from his marker to power a header past goalkeeper Aaron Kerr from a Lee Williams cross. Five minutes later Jason Ashby set up Stuart Skidmore to side-foot over the bar from the edge of the area. Skidmore then received a booking for a foul on Robert Howe after being dispossessed, but Chris Ferrett blasted the free-kick against the Halesowen defensive wall. On-loan Cheltenham midfielder Lee Williams made all the difference with Halesowen continuing to push for goals and Kerr dived to save at his feet in the 22nd minute as he ran into the box on the heavily sanded surface.

Havant won their first corner on the half-hour with Tim Clarke only punching out for Alec Masson to drive the ball towards goal but Les Hines made a crucial goal-line clearance. Kerr then kept out a 25-yard drive from the impressive Williams and Alec Masson cleared from Ashby after Richard Colwell played the ball into the area. Ten minutes before the break Gavin Stone made a timely headed clearance when Tim Hambley sent in a dangerous ball towards his fellow strikers.

Halesowen sat back to soak up the Havant pressure at the start of the second period and they almost paid the price. Ferrett dug in a 50th minute left-wing cross that fell invitingly for James Taylor but the normally lethal striker miscued from close range allowing Tim Clarke to recover and save. Out of form Warren Haughton then skipped past the Halesowen defence to force a corner that Clarke gratefully grabbed at the second attempt.

On the hour Kerr produced a reflex save to deny May's header from a Williams corner and six minute later Ashby sprung the offside trap but he hesitated too long with Christian Hanson able to clear the danger.

With Halesowen needing to hang on to their slender lead Stone tripped Haughton on the edge of the box in the 73rd minute after Asa Charlton lost the ball, but Ferrett hit the free-kick weakly at Clarke. The visitors then gambled by introducing 40-year striker David Leworthy and they almost found an equaliser ten minutes from time when Neil Davis beat Clarke to a Gareth Hall chip but the ball fell inches wide.

The Yeltz kept possession in the dying moments and should have added a second goal in the final minute when Ashby set up substitute Richard Leadbeater but Kerr made a fine double save from five yards.