I stopped keeping this site up-to-date many years ago, so if you've ended up here I'm afraid there's nothing much of interest to see any more.

Other Halesowen Town websites:

21st Century Stuff

I made a Yeltzland app for iPhone/iPad and Android, which lets you read all about the Yeltz in one place.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

You can also add the Yeltz fixture list into your calendar - instructions can be found here.

News Stories 1997-2006 ...

Follow Your Instinct

Even older than the original Yeltzland website, we wrote a HTFC fanzine between 1991 and 1994.

I've started scanning in the originals, and you can download the PDFs from the FYI home page.

Review of the 1995-96 season

Re-live one of the greatest seasons of the mighty Yeltz's long history in DJ's comprehensive review

Why are we called The Yeltz?

No one knows for sure, but here's an summary from the excellent Yeltzmen book that's the best explanation we have!




Hednesford 3 Yeltz 2

Despite twice coming from behind, the Yeltz lost their first game of the season to old foes Hednesford.

We went 1-0 down just before the break, but then pulled one back through Rob Elmes . They took the lead again before a second equaliser from Les looked like it'd earned a point. However they got their winner in the 87th minute to leave us with just a single point from the first two games.

As an aside, I got regular updates from the Scorecheck SMS service which seems pretty reliable in sending me the depressing news :-(

Saturday takes us back to delightful Grantham , before Stafford Rangers visit The Grove on Bank Holiday Monday evening.

Match Report from DJ

Hednesford Town: Gayle; Simkin, Lucas, Robinson, Brindley, Ryder (Airdrie 66), Wray, Rae, Francis (Piearce 77), Jones, Adams. Unused Subs: Williams, Charie, Jenkins.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer (Quiggin 59), Leadbeater, Elmes, Taylor, Hines. Unused Subs: Newall, Reece, Ashby, Garvey.

Booked: Francis (31), Colwell (86). Referee: C. Henry Attendance: 802

Halesowen twice battled back from behind in an excellent second-half display but still left Keys Park empty-handed due to defensive frailty.

The home side had the better of the first half with Derek Rae hitting a rebound over the bar after 6 minutes but Halesowen's Richard Leadbeater flashed a header wide of the post from a Les Hines corner a minute later. Mark Jones turned Jason Burnham in the 9th minute and drove wide from 12 yards before hitting inches high from 20 yards in the 14th minute. Shaun Wray then drove wide from 20 yards as the home side sought an opener.

Lee Collins headed a Jason Burnham free-kick just wide of the post after 22 minutes and 4 minutes later Collins made a timely tackle on the edge of his own box from the advancing Wray.

Hednesford took the lead in the 41st minute when Neil Smith brought down Wray in the box and *b*RICHARD LUCAS*cb* hit the penalty into the top left corner of the net. Leadbeater almost equalised on the stroke of half-time when put through by Spencer but he poked the ball just wide of the post.

Halesowen started brightly at the start of the second period and gradually took control of the game. Good work from Andy Spencer set up Richard Colwell after 47 minutes but there was no-one on the end of his dangerous cross. The Yeltz deservedly equalised in the 58th minute with a splendid goal on the break. Tim Clarke collected a corner and sent a long kick out to Spencer down the left who then fed Les Hines and his left-wing cross was sidefooted home on the volley at the far post by *b*ROB ELMES*cb*. Quiggin almost scored a second in the 67th minute when set free but he hit wide of Mark Gayle's post.

A minute later Halesowen paid the price when Hednesford re-gained the lead out of the blue. A Collins clearance could only find Wray and his right-wing cross was headed home beyond the grasp of Clarke from 15 yards by the unmarked *b*MARK JONES*cb*. However, Halesowen equalised for a second time in the 75th minute when a Burnham cross was headed against the post by Elmes and *b*LES HINES*cb* was on hand to turn in the rebound from 5 yards out.

Substitute Stuart Airdrie then went on a great run from his own half ending with Clarke making a fine save from his 20 yard shot and in the 80th minute Clarke saved a quickly taken free-kick from Carl Adams.

Three minutes from time Hednesford grabbed the winner when Lucas hit a long free-kick into the Halesowen area. Clarke called for the ball, but *b*CHRIS BRINDLEY*cb* nipped in before Clarke collected to head into an empty net. A minute from time Hines curled in a free-kick from the edge of the box but goalkeeper Gayle managed to punch the ball clear from under his crossbar.




Yeltz 0 Welling 0

I guess the cliche to use is 'Both defences cancelled each other out'.

The mighty Yeltz's return to the Premier Division was quite a low key affair, and a good introduction to what I think will be quite typical this season. We were as solid as ever, but Welling's defence was clearly much stronger than those we played last season and we struggled to break them down. Oh well, a nice point to start with and a reality check to anyone who thought we were going to carry on winning game after game.

Monday takes us to old rivals Hednesford in our first league game against them for quite a while. They struggled last year (as did Welling) so let's hope for a positiove result.

Fantasy Island has kicked off again, and the email addresses of many of you don't seem to be valid any more. You need a valid email address to play the game, so if you are playing and haven't received the weekly update please mail me and I'll sort it out. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to start removing players from the game.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer (Quiggin 64), A. Jones (Leadbeater 59), Elmes Taylor, Hines. Unused Subs: Newall, Reece, Ashby.

Welling United: Knight; Seabury, Virgo, Hone, Edwards, Farley, Riviere (Burgess HT), Aboagye, Abbott, P. Jones, Hogg (Lorraine 81). Unused Subs: Standen, Sodje, Morrish.

Referee: D. J. Hine (Worcester) Attendance: 566

Halesowen were unable to break down a well organised Welling defence resulting in the much awaited return to the Premier Division ending in a disappointing goalless draw.

Tim Clarke almost missed the game due to an illness that caused him increasing distress as the game wore on. After an initial enthusiastic burst from the Yeltz, it was Clarke who made an early 7th minute save at the foot of his post from James Virgo and a minute later Paul Jones turned in the box to hit just wide for the visitors.

As Halesowen settled, Andy Spencer caught out the Welling defence after 18 minutes but his right-wing cross was turned away for a corner with Andy Jones set to pounce. Virgo hit a speculative 35-yard shot just over Clarke's crossbar in the 24th minute and on the half-hour.

Stuart Skidmore saw a goalbound 20-yard drive diverted for a corner at the other end.

Welling's Paul Jones missed the best chance of the game when he escaped Lee Collins and the rest of the Halesowen defence in the 40th minute but he wasted the chance by driving well wide when clear on goal. Gary Abbott then ended a game of head-tennis in the Halesowen area by bringing a save low down from Clarke three minutes before the break. Right on half-time Andy Jones volleyed just high for the home side after Rob Elmes chested-down a long throw-in from Jason Burnham. In first-half injury time Paul Jones broke free again for Welling but Kevin Seabury hit his cross high over the bar.

The second half developed increasingly into a stalemate with a barren draw always looking the most likely outcome. Halesowen introduced Richard Leadbeater and Jimmy Quiggin to try to find more inspiration and in the 72nd minute a clever back-heel from Leadbeater set up Mark Taylor but his 20-yard shot was blocked. Four minutes later Elmes set up Quiggin to head agonisingly wide of the mark with Leadbeater inches from making a crucial touch at the base of the post. Seabury then headed wide for Welling in the 77th minute when in space from just five yards out following Abbott's cross.

Lee Collins headed home for Halesowen in the 87th minute but his effort was quite rightly disallowed when the giant central defender climbed over the Welling defence.




Friendly Stourport 1 Yeltz 1

The mighty Yeltz completed a pretty successful sequence of friendlies with a 1-1 draw at Stourport on Friday night, our goal coming from Leadbetter in another game of multiple substitutions. We've had some good results over the pre-season period and all in all things are looking reasonably promising for the months ahead.

So on Saturday the season proper finally kicks off with a home game at The Grove againast Welling United . They finished just 3 points out of the relegation zone last year, but who knows how good they'll be this year. Let's hope for a good start and three points.




Friendly Willenhall 1 Yeltz 0

It couldn't last for ever, and maybe it's a good thing we got back to reality a little. Our unbeaten run disappeared on Saturday against Willenhall, but much more concerning is hearing of Andy Spencer's injury . Full details in DJ's match report .

Unfortunately the Jolly Boys didn't win the shirt sponsorship raffle again, that pleasure went to West Midlands Fasteners a Halesowen based firm.

It's not unexpected news but slightly disappointing the Sean Flynn has signed for Kiddy after turning out for us in several of the friendlies. I have a feeling he'll be back.

For us long distance fans, there's a new SMS service to give score and result updates as they happen. More details from http://www.scorecheck.co.uk from Monday, and make sure you quote Halesowen Town as the club gets a fiver if you do.

The last friendly is at Stourport on Friday before the real season starts. Hurrah!

Match Report from DJ

Willenhall: Vaughan; Carter, Price, Slater, Creighton, Rochester, Moseley, Swann, Grosvenor, Hay, Pearce. Subs: Goodall, Tomlinson, Skelding, Bromley.

Halesowen Town: Elias; Colwell, Reece, Newall, L. Collins, Burnham, Spencer, Goodwin, Elmes, Ashby, Hines. Subs: Adams, Phillips, Webb, Tallants, Smith, Jones, Garvey.

Referee: P. Hobday

Halesowen's fine pre-season form ended in a bruising encounter with their Midland Alliance neighbours. The visitors failed to create any real chances and went down to an unfortunate own goal - meaning both goals conceded in pre-season have been from Halesowen players.

Of more concern was the early injury to Andy Spencer - a recurrence of the troublesome injury first sustained over 3 months ago at the end of last season, which caused his absence for several weeks.

Rob Elmes got clear of the Willenhall defence after 7 minutes but his shot was blocked and Jason Ashby hit the rebound over the bar. Elmes then headed into the side-netting from a 15th minute corner.

Willenhall have enjoyed an impressive pre-season, having already beaten Worcester by 2-0 and clearly relished the prospect of another upset. Gary Hay went close after 35 minutes by turning Jason Burnham before clipping a 15-yard drive against the crossbar. A minute later Willenhall went ahead when Mark Swann hit a long free-kick which Burnham diverted past his own goalkeeper Phil Elias with a header.

Despite a number of substitutions, the Yeltz had a poor second half and it was home striker Stuart Grosvenor who hit just over the bar after 72 minutes. Eight minutes from time former Causeway Utd. player Damien Whitcombe hit a volley which was easily saved by Mark Garvey.




Friendly Yeltz 2 Boston 0

Another excellent result - this is getting very worrying. First half goals from Andy Jones and Les Hines clinched another victory against Football League opposition, and this run, although is obviously only in friendlies, is putting me in a very optimistic mood for the new season.

We visit Willenhall on Saturday, with only two weeks to go until the season proper. Hurrah!

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke (Garvey 75); Colwell (Newall HT), Burnham, Smith (R. Collins 75), L. Collins, Skidmore (Holmes HT), Spencer (Quiggin HT), Jones (Adams 75), Elmes (Leadbeater 65), Taylor (Flynn HT), Hines (Reece 65).

Boston United: Conroy; Hocking, Carter, Roscoe, Foran, Gould, Darby, Brady, Town, Zayed, Angel. Subs: Elding, Hardie, Hart.

Halesowen's impressive pre-season form continued as they easily overcame the Nationwide League newcomers. Recently appointed Boston manager Neil Thompson elected not to play former Yeltz favourite Jim Rodwell, who watched the game from the sidelines.

In a lively opening Mark Taylor drove just wide in the first minute against an experimental Boston line-up (which included the much travelled triallist Alfie Carter) and at the other end Mark Angel set Dave Town free to bring out a fine 9th minute save from Tim Clarke. A minute later Boston goalkeeper Nick Conroy recovered well to save a certain goal from Andy Jones at close range.

Halesowen took a 20th minute lead after a splendid run down the centre by Andy Spencer set up Les Hines to cross for Andy Jones to squirt the ball beyond Conroy. A second goal followed in the 29th minute when the tenacious Stuart Skidmore won the ball in midfield and ran clear of the Boston defence before squaring across goal for Hines to side-foot home from 12 yards.

Halesowen fielded their squad players in the second half but Boston still failed to make any real impression with James Gould twice hitting half volleys straight at Tim Clarke after 58 and 61 minutes. Clarke then produced a full length flying save from substitute Hardie but it was the Yeltz who went close again in the 76th minute when a clever Jimmy Quiggin flick allowed Sean Flynn to cross but the ball was turned off the line by Ross Roscoe. Ten minutes from time Conroy denied Richard Adams with a great save following a left wing cross by Dominic Reece.




Friendly Yeltz 3 Walsall XI 0

Another easy victory, this time against a young Walsall team who didn't really provide much opposition by the sounds of it. Goals from Spencer , Leadbetter and a penalty converted by Les kept our unbeaten run going in emphatic style. Full details, as ever, in the match reports .

On Tuesday we host old 'rivals' Boston United who've done rather well for themselves in the last couple of years (don't mention the bungs though), and then on Wednesday it's the shirt sponsorship raffle extravaganza. Come on the Jolly Boys!

Also, Doc has made a new fixtures poster for you to print out and put in your window. You know you want to.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell (Adams 75), Burnham (Reece 45), Neil Smith (Newall 45), L. Collins, Skidmore (Flynn 45), Spencer (R. Collins 75), Jones (Ashby 45), Leadbeater (Quiggin 65), M. Taylor (Goodwin 65), Hines.

Walsall: Harris; Lloyd, Bennett, Nick Smith, Caines, Cunliffe, Maguire, Paschalis, Bishop, Worley, Atieno. Subs: D.Taylor, Harkness, Platt, Coleman, O'Shea.

Referee: M. Fletcher (Wolverley) Estimated Attendance: 250

Halesowen kept up their 100% pre-season record with a comfortable win over a youthful Walsall line-up who failed to create any clearcut chances in front of goal all afternoon.

In the first few minutes Andy Jones found plenty of time and space in the Walsall penalty area but he failed to beat goalkeeper Matty Harris after two minutes before striding through the Walsall rearguard from midfield again to fire straight at Harris in the 4th minute. The Yeltz took a deserved 15th minute lead when Andy Spencer lobbed Harris from the edge of the penalty area. Tim Clarke spilled an 18th minute cross from Anthony Maguire but the defence recovered to clear.

In the second half a surging run from home substitute Jason Ashby let in Richard Leadbeater after 48 minutes but he scooped the ball wide from a good position. Tim Clarke collected a 25-yard free-kick from Alec Cunliffe in the 53rd minute before Halesowen hit a second goal when Leadbeater lashed home a 55th minute right wing cross from Andy Spencer. Ashby then headed just over from a Richard Colwell cross in the 63rd minute and three minutes later the lively Ashby turned the Walsall defence to set up Spencer but Harris tipped his 10-yard shot over the bar for a corner.

Les Hines hit home from the penalty spot after 69 minutes when Asby was up-ended in the penalty area and a minute later substitute Jimmy Quiggin chipped over Harris's bar with Halesowen well in control.




Friendly Leamington 1 Yeltz 3

Leamington decided to celebrate their new floodlights in style with some half-time fireworks, as Halesowen's team of mostly triallists and newcomers won 3-1 with first-half goals from Kelvin Phillips , Gareth Holmes and Jimmy Quiggin .

Interestingly enough (to me anyway) was the fact that as well as Brendan's son Kelvin, James Coldicott, son of ex-Yeltz superstar Phil also made a second half appearance.

There's a new vote out if you're interested about how you think we'll get on this season.

The warm up games continue back at The Grove on Saturday with the visit of First Division Walsall on Saturday. It's getting closer!

Match Report from DJ

Leamington FC: Sidhu; Burgess, Gregory (Dix 85), Rowland, Crabtree, Timms, Mort (Curphey 74), Webb, Nicholls, Agar (Sahal 45), Thompson.

Halesowen Town: Garvey (Coldicott 45); Adams, Reece, Newall, R. Collins (Smith 45), Holmes (Elmes 88), Spencer (Henry 45), Goodwin, Quiggin (Spencer 72), Phillips (Webb 45), Tallants.

Referee: D. Macauley Attendance: 403

Leamington celebrated the opening of their refurbished floodlights from the Grove with a half-time firework display. Much work has clearly been done at the rural setting of the New Windmill although the recently installed drainage channels created an uneven playing surface.

Manager's son Kelvin Phillips gave Halesowen a 7th minute lead when he picked up a ball from John Newall and calmly turned the defence before curling the ball into the net. Five minutes later Gareth Holmes, formerly of Derby County, steered the ball home to increase the lead.

Leamington pulled back a 16th minute goal when visiting defender Richard Adams attempted to clear but only succeeded in turning the ball past his own goalkeeper Mark Garvey. Two minutes before the break Jimmy Quiggin raced in to head home Halesowen's third from a Dominic Reece cross.

Carl Tallants set up the busy Holmes in the 55th minute but he blasted wide from 10 yards out. Four minutes later Tallants made a fine left wing run but Quiggin volleyed the resulting cross inches high.

At the other end a 20-yard drive from Steve Thompson was collected low-down by Halesowen goalkeeper James Coldicott, son of former favourite, Phil. Glen Webb was then unlucky in the 69th minute when he headed against the bar and he headed just over again one minute later. For Halesowen, the impressive Holmes set Paul Henry free in the 75th minute but he hit his effort high.




Friendly Yeltz 2 WBA 0

Two first half goals from Andy Jones and a deflection from Mark Taylor led to an encouraging 2-0 victory over half an Albion team. They put out a few players that I've heard of, so it's a pretty good result in front of a decent crowd (1727). Read DJ's match report , or there's another on the WBA site if you're interested.

Worryingly that's two wins on the trot - a good pre-season has meant a disappointing rest of the season in recent memory - but there's plenty of time to turn that around ;-)

Next game is at Leamington on Tuesday, and then we host Walsall down The Grove next Saturday.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell (Newall 45), Burnham (Reece 70), Smith (Barnett 60), L. Collins (R. Collins 45), Skidmore (Adams 75), Spencer (Quiggin 70), Jones (Ashby 45), Elmes (Leadbeater 60), M. Taylor (Flynn 45), Hines.

WBA: Jensen; J. Chambers, Clement, Sigurdsson, Moore, Lyttle, M. Collins, B. Taylor, Dichio (Briggs 56), Johnson, Jordao. Subs: Adams, Adamson.

Referee: M. Fletcher (Warley) Attendance: 1727

West Brom were billed as the first ever Premiership club to play at the Grove but it certainly didn't show as they were brought down to earth with a bump less than a month before they face a daunting introduction to life in the top flight at Old Trafford.

Absent Albion manager Gary Megson will surely want to know why one half of his squad flopped so feebly in front of their expectant Black Country followers, despite the other half of his squad hitting six past Bromsgrove. Yet the Baggies' failure should not take anything away from a classy showing from the Yeltz with man-of-the-match Stuart Skidmore serving up a typical gutsy midfield performance. From the newcomers on show, it was former favourite Sean Flynn who added a touch of class for Halesowen in the second period and on-trial Jason Ashby again caught the eye having been recently released by Coventry City.

The Yeltz took an early 4th minute lead when the imposing Rob Elmes headed down a deep cross from Jason Burnham and Andy Jones was on hand to touch home past a casual Albion rearguard.

A shot from Andy Johnson was deflected wide on the edge of the box and Matt Collins hit a drive inches over the bar in the 21st minute as Albion attempted to rally. For the home side, Jason Burnham saw a 30 yard drive saved by Brian Jensen and Skidmore lashed a 15-yard effort just wide of the mark on the half-hour as last season's Dr Martens Western Champions continued to easily match their higher level opposition.

The hosts went two goals ahead three minutes before the break when a 15-yard drive from Mark Taylor took a slight deflection off Andy Spencer to beat Jensen into the right hand corner of the net.

Albion's awful afternoon showed some brief promise early in the second half but Johnson shot straight at the legs of Tim Clarke when clear on goal after 47 minutes and Bob Taylor clipped just wide of goal three minutes later. At the other end Elmes turned to volley just wide in the 53rd minute before the Yeltz made more of their nine substitutions.

West Brom's woes almost worsened five minutes from time when a deep cross from Flynn was headed on by Jimmy Quiggin but Jensen was able to spread himself to save from Richard Leadbeater who should have done better.

Clarke made his only meaningful save of the afternoon in the final minute by turning a Matt Collins effort around the post for a corner from a James Chambers cross.




Friendly Halesowen Harriers 0 Yeltz 2

And we're off again. A low key start at our, well I don't know what to call them...partner? ... subsiduary? ... anyway Halesowen Harriers and a nice 2-0 victory with second half goals from Les Hines and Rob Elmes .

There was the usual mix of regulars and trialists - full details in DJ's match report - but the big news is that old favorite Sean Flynn turned out in the second half. I'm not certain what the situation with Flynnie making it a lengthy return, but I think everyone would be very excited if he did.

Next fixture is the annual extravaganza down The Grove against the Albion on Saturday . There's all sorts of events going on around the game so it should be, as they say, a fun day out for all the family.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Harriers: Turner; P. Taylor, Follows, Wilson, G. Parry, Pestridge, Round, Kelsall, R. Perry, Huskisson, Hughes. Subs: Chatwin, M. Smith, Crudington, Oakes, Howe, Korby, Coldicott.

Halesowen Town (First Half): Clarke; Colwell, Reece, Newall, L. Collins, R. Collins, Skidmore, Adams, Leadbeater, Jones, Webb. (Second Half): Garvey; Spencer, Hines, N. Smith, Gardiner, Burnham, Flynn, Ashby, Elmes, Taylor, Tallents. Subs: Derry, Phillips, Henry.

Referee: P. Rejer

Halesowen Town fielded two teams and included their former favourite and ex-Baggies midfield maestro Sean Flynn in their second-half line up. The friendly cemented the recently announced partnership between the two Halesowen clubs with the higher league Yeltz coming out on top.

Richard Adams rattled the post with a 20-yard drive for Town in the 14th minute and Tim Clarke collected a Richard Perry shot at the other end two minutes later. With the Harriers giving a good account of themselves Clint Hughes made a solo run before shooting wide on 37 minutes.

Dr Martens Premier Halesowen Town finally went ahead two minutes into the second half with Les Hines touching the ball home from a Rob Elmes flick-on. The lead was extended on the hour when Flynn chipped into the box and although Neil Turner saved Jason Ashby's shot, Elmes headed home the ball on the goal-line. Turner then did well to cut out a 65th minute cross from Hines before Ashby curled a 70th minute effort just wide. The Harriers goalkeeper went on to make a string of saves from Andy Spencer, Elmes and Ashby in an 80th minute goalmouth scramble with the Yeltz well on top.




With the World Cup over we can now concentrate on what's a mercifully short wait until the new season. Hurrah!

The fixture list is now out, and I've uploaded all of the DMPL fixtures on to the site for your perusal. The season kicks off on August 17 at The Grove against Welling and finishes on May 3 at home to Chippenham - the last away game being a reasonable trip to Folkestone. The FA Trophy draw has also been made, and we're at home to Bath in the 1st Round.

No additional player news as yet, other than we're back in training with the first friendly against the Harriers next week (July 16th). I'm getting a little excited already.