I stopped keeping this site up-to-date many years ago, so if you've ended up here I'm afraid there's nothing much of interest to see any more.

Other Halesowen Town websites:

21st Century Stuff

I made a Yeltzland app for iPhone/iPad and Android, which lets you read all about the Yeltz in one place.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

You can also add the Yeltz fixture list into your calendar - instructions can be found here.

News Stories 1997-2006 ...

Follow Your Instinct

Even older than the original Yeltzland website, we wrote a HTFC fanzine between 1991 and 1994.

I've started scanning in the originals, and you can download the PDFs from the FYI home page.

Review of the 1995-96 season

Re-live one of the greatest seasons of the mighty Yeltz's long history in DJ's comprehensive review

Why are we called The Yeltz?

No one knows for sure, but here's an summary from the excellent Yeltzmen book that's the best explanation we have!




Yeltz 1 Gloucester 0 and Yeltz 2 Bath City 1

Two narrow victories at The Grove over the holiday period meant the mighty Yeltz go into 2006 in a little better spirits (let's not go overboard here). A 1-0 win over Gloucester was followed by a 2-1 defeat of Bath City - and yes I was there for the Bath game (and I even saw Howard's very early goal!). Full details as ever in Dave's match reports.

We complete our holiday fixtures today (Monday) when we travel to Merthyr. It's important we keep our good run going if we are going to keep our promotion hopes realistic. We won there last year but it's always a tough place to visit and they're in decent form so a point would be reasonable I reckon.

I'm back from my travels now so the site should be back to normal service - let's hope for a successful 2006!




EC Banbury 2 Yeltz 1

Our disappointing run continues with a 2-1 defeat at Banbury in the Errea (League) Cup. After taking the lead through Fozzy, we went behind to two second half goals and couldn't come back. Ho Hum.

The holiday period gives us two home games to get the season back on track - Gloucester are the visitors on the 27th before we host Bath City on New Years Eve. We're down to 14th in the table after the latest results, which is both 10 points below the playoff spots and 5 points above the relegation zone.

Anyhoo, Merry Xmas to all of you out there and lets hope for a happy, prosperous and successful 2006. I'm on my travels over the next few days so the site won't be updated much, and hopefully I'll see many of you at the Bath game where I will break my 2005 jinx!

Match Report from DJ

Banbury United: Tricker; Robinson, Kinch, Sullivan, Redknap, Fuller, Stanbridge, Lamb, Blossom (McKay 78), Baird, Gooderick (Nicholls 90). Unused Subs: Jackson, Foster

Halesowen Town: Gayle; Cooper, Haywood, Preston, Pierpoint, Knight, N. Smith (Drakeley 32), C. Smith (Cowley 87), Forinton, Skidmore, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Bowater, Amos

Referee: W. Ramsay (Coventry) Attendance: 155

Halesowen crashed out of a second cup competition within four days as two second-half goals saw them defeated at the first hurdle in the Southern League Cup. The defeat ended a 40 year-old unbeaten sequence of fifteen games against the Puritans.

Tamworth goalkeeping coach Mark Gayle was drafted in and Aaron Drakeley from tenants Causeway United also made his debut with Nicki Preston taking on the captain's arm-band.

The much-changed Yeltz started brightly and took the lead on 4 minutes when Stuart Pierpoint's right-wing cross was nodded home by Simon FORSDICK from close range.

Stuart Skidmore could have doubled the Halesowen lead in the 18th minute by heading straight at goalkeeper Simon Tricker after a flowing move involving Howard Forinton and Pierpoint. The in-form home side, with just one defeat in their last eleven games, rarely threatened in a first-half which saw Yeltz midfielder Nick Smith stretchered off with a knee injury.

After a scrappy opening to the second period that saw the referee also leave the pitch injured, Halesowen wasted a 63rd minute free-kick with Pierpoint putting the ball wide after Tricker escaped a caution by handling the ball outside his penalty area.

Banbury levelled on 66 minutes when Andy Baird's driving run ended with him finding Ollie STANBRIDGE in the box and the winger placed his angled shot past a diving Mark Gayle into the bottom left-hand corner.

The tie was settled seven minutes later with a wonder strike from Wayne BLOSSOM. An Adrian Fuller free-kick was only partially cleared by the Halesowen defence and the ball bounced for the striker to score with an audacious overhead kick.

Banbury could have extended their lead with Blossom hitting the post and Baird forcing an excellent save from Gayle. Les Robinson also played an 82nd minute through ball for Baird to lob just over the bar. But Halesowen applied pressure in the nine minutes of injury time and almost forced extra-time when Ian Cooper's 30-yard shot bounced off the crossbar with Forsdick blazing the rebound high.




FAT 1R Yeltz 1 Tamworth 2

Maybe a bit harsh, but an excellent battling Yeltz performance was marred by a strange goal that looked very dodgy from 80 yards away through blue contact lenses. It's a shame the referee spolit what was an excellent cup tie, and one that we probably deserved to get at least a draw. A more considered view - including quotes from the two managers - from Dave in his match report :-)

On Tuesday we play our last game before Xmas in the Errea Cup (the League Cup) at Banbury. The winner will be decided on the night, and will be at home to Rushall in the last 16, so we've got half a chance of having a decent run.

BTW in case you were wondering it's definitely not me who is the jinx as I was on the phone to Frank when they equalised, so that makes it definitely him. Thankfully I won't be at a game until New Year's Eve so the theory can't be tested any more.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; I. Cooper, Haywood, Preston, Pope (Pierpoint 72), Knight, Cowley (N. Smith 67), Lamey, Forinton, Amos, Forsdick. Unused Subs: C. Smith, Skidmore, Johnson.

Tamworth: Bevan, A. Smith, Bampton, Melton, Motteram (Turner 85), Ward, Storer, Jackson (Francis 66), Edwards, Neilson, Anaclet. Unused Subs: M. Cooper, Gayle (GK), Tuohy

Referee: R. L. Lewis (Shrewsbury) Attendance: 668 Booked: Edwards (21), Bampton (49), Forinton (76), Amos (77), Lamey (81), Haywood (83), Pierpoint (90), N. Smith (90).

Sponsors' Man of the Match: Howard Forinton NLP Man of the Match: Alex Cowley

Halesowen took an early lead but were denied a deserved replay and bowed out of the Trophy when Nationwide Conference Tamworth poked home a controversial, sloppy late winner.

Manager Paul Holleran claimed that "Dean Coleman had both hands on the ball and Eddie Anaclet got away with a cheeky toe-poke" as he highlighted a number of refereeing decisions against the Yeltz. In contrast, opposing manager Mark Cooper felt that "Coleman spilled the ball before Anaclet tapped home".

The lower league Yeltz were far from over-awed and made a fine start as tricky winger Alex Cowley bamboozled three defenders down the right in the 6th minute only for Simon Forsdick to mis-hit the resulting cross.

FA Cup giant-killers Tamworth were given a shock taste of their own medicine in the 7th minute when an excellent flick from Howard Forinton set Nathan LAMEY free and he ran on 35 yards, holding off two chasing defenders before beating Scott Bevan with a fine finish from 15 yards.

But Halesowen's lead was short-lived as the Lambs levelled just two minutes later when Graham WARD curled a direct free-kick past the defensive wall beyond static goalkeeper Coleman into the corner of the net after Gary Knight needlessly fouled Nathan Jackson on the edge of the area.

Nick Amos then headed Dave Haywood's 13th minute free-kick wide and giant goalkeeper Bevan lost Cowley's 20th minute cross but Bevan recovered to collect a 25-yard shot from Forinton seconds later.

Jake Edwards received the first of the afternoon's many bookings for a nasty 21st minute elbow on Nicki Preston from referee Mr Lewis, who famously ran the line at Old Trafford last season when Spurs were denied what appeared a clear 'goal'.

With Matt Redmile and Carl Heggs suspended, Tamworth gave a debut to new signing Alan Neilson, formerly of Newcastle United and in a good spell for the visitors, Forsdick cleared Jackson's 27th minute cross at the second attempt. Two minutes later Halesowen had another let-off when young Coleman failed to communicate with his defence but the ball trickled just past the post. Steve Melton's drive on the half-hour was deflected wide and four minutes later hesitant Coleman allowed Dave Bampton to head Carl Motteram's cross wide.

Just before the interval Halesowen broke away with Forsdick setting Cowley free but Bevan was down quickly to save the 15-yard shot. Cowley then challenged in midfield and the ball fell kindly to Lamey, but he dragged a shot wide from the edge of the area with Forinton available in support.

The hosts continued to compete well in a hard-fought second-half. Cowley's 49th minute free-kick was turned away with Bevan easily gathering Forinton's header from the resulting corner. Bevan then punched clear from Nick Amos with Steve Pope just unable to connect with the rebound under pressure. A clever 55th minute move saw Forsdick play a return pass to Forinton but his shot was blocked for a corner and Cowley delivered a delightful free-kick into the Tamworth penalty area after 63 minutes but the ball was again hacked clear.

Melton did hit the net for Tamworth in the 65th minute but his effort was disallowed for a push on Pope. Cowley limped off after 67 minutes and a minute later Coleman dithered once more but the ball was put away for a corner. Pope also limped out of the action with Preston taking over the captain's arm-band on 72 minutes.

A remarkable total of six yellow cards were dished out to Halesowen in the final fifteen minutes, almost certainly leading to a disciplinary fine. With a replay looking on the cards, a good afternoon's work from Halesowen then also went wrong with Tamworth's costly, soft, late winner.

An 80th minute right-wing cross went over Knight but bounced back harmlessly off substitute Stuart Pierpoint's shin to Coleman, yet the ball then inexplicably ended up in the Halesowen net. Some called it a goal-keeping gaffe with the ball slipping from Coleman's grasp, while others were looking for a free-kick against Eddie Anaclet for kicking the ball from the goalkeeper's hands. In reality, although Coleman initially had the ball under control with both hands, on-loan Southampton wide-man Eddie ANACLET took his chance to nip in and poke the ball home with Coleman failing to lay sufficient claim to a ball that slipped from his fingers.

Three minutes from full-time Coleman make a splendid reflex save to deny Anaclet again with the ball rolling just past the post.




WSC 2R Kidderminster 1 Yeltz 2 (aet)

The mighty Yeltz gained a morale boosting if tiring victory over Kiddy in the WSC, when we came from behind to gain a late extra time victory. Despite going behind at half-time, The Pope managed to equalise from the spot before Nathan gained what sounds like a well-deserved very late winner. Full details in Dave's match report .

So on to Saturday when Tamworth visit The Grove in an exciting FA Trophy 1st Round tie. We all know they've gone up in the world recently (and we've gone down a bit too), but I still can't help thinking we've got a good chance. Let's hope so anyway!

Match Report from DJ

Kidderminster Harriers: Danby (Harper 91); Graves, Ludlow, Hurren, McHale, Byrne, Wilson, Manning (Davis 102), Butler, Sheldon, Eaton (Facey 79). Unused Subs: Dawson, Meyrick.

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Johnson, Haywood, Pierpoint, Pope, Skidmore, N. Smith (Amos HT), C. Smith (Lamey 86), Forinton, Cooper, Forsdick. Unused Subs: Cowley, Preston.

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham) Attendance: 269 Booked: Ludlow (15), Skidmore (54), Pope (97)

Worcestershire Senior Cup holders Halesowen recovered from a half-time deficit to win through in extra-time with a storming finish.

Unlucky Simon Forsdick struck the woodwork three times and had another good effort cleared off the line before substitute Nathan Lamey joined the late party by also striking the post before notching a deserved extra-time winner.

Kidderminster elected to name five players with first team experience this term under the stewardship of caretaker-manager Martin O'Connor and the youngsters had much the better of the first half.

Gareth Sheldon returned from recent injury to shoot at Halesowen goalkeeper Dean Coleman in the 5th minute. Tom BYRNE then gave the Harriers a 17th minute lead by curling the ball just inside the top left-hand corner at the second attempt. Mitch Butler volleyed wide on 24 minutes and Sheldon hit a bicycle-kick over the bar two minutes later.

Halesowen's only real attempt of the first period came on the half-hour when Forsdick laid the ball off for Dave Haywood to cross and home goalkeeper John Danby lost the ball under pressure from Nick Smith before the ball was cleared.

The Yeltz improved markedly after the break. Forsdick's 48th minute shot was turned onto the post by Danby but Steve POPE levelled by smashing home from the penalty spot in the 50th minute after Howard Forinton was pulled back by Troy Manning.

After winning two corners in the 56th minute, Halesowen broke again in the 63rd minute following a Kiddy midfield slip with Chris Smith setting Forinton free, but he wasted the chance. Chris Smith then hit over the bar from 18 yards in the 69th minute. Ian Cooper's 71st minute volley was blocked and from the rebound Forinton was denied by Danby. Four minutes later Forinton pulled the ball back across goal to Forsdick but his goal-bound shot was cleared off the line by Chris McHale. Seconds before the end of normal time Lamey lobbed just over the bar from a long Coleman clearance and Forinton blasted over the stand when clear on goal.

Two minutes into extra-time Lamey fed Forsdick and he turned in the area before crashing the ball off the underside off the crossbar. Laurie Wilson hit a 95th minute free-kick past the post for the increasingly quiet and tired hosts but Halesowen clawed the ball away at the foot of the post from Gavin Hurren's header and Sheldon's follow-up. After 104 minutes substitute home goalkeeper Thomas Harper saved from Forsdick at the second attempt and a fierce Stuart Skidmore shot was blocked with Harper beating the ball away from Lamey's resulting corner.

The Yeltz finished strongly in the second period of extra-time with Lamey shooting just past the left upright after 111 minutes. A minute later Skidmore won the ball in midfield and set up Lamey but his 15-yard strike struck the left-hand post. Remarkably, Forsdick struck the post again in the 116th minute and McHale cleared off the line from Lamey a minute later.

The marathon tie was finally settled in the 118th minute when Forinton headed on a long Coleman goal-kick for Lamey to expertly beat the poorly positioned home goalkeeper Harper from 20 yards. In the final minute Coleman secured Halesowen's hand on the Cup with a fine reflex save to deny substitute Ray Facey.




Northwood 3 Yeltz 0

A disappointing result, but it really was one of those matches when we could have played all night and never got anything out of the game.

They were a big, hard-working side and the pitch was pretty poor which didn't help. The first half was dire, but they scored a pretty decent goal in the only piece of worthwhile action. Second-half we were much, much better, but when The Pope skyed a penalty about 10 feet over you could just tell what was going to happen. We were all over them but they caught us twice on the break and the day was summed up when Chris Smith's brilliant run and shot rebounded off the bar. Not a great day, but not half as bad as the result might suggest.

We've got a few cup games coming up - the big one is the FA Trophy game on Saturday at home to Tamworth, but before then we go to Kiddy in the Worcester Senior on Wednesday.

Match Report from DJ

Northwood: Watson; Nolan, Moore, O'Connor, Shipperley, Demetrious, Garrard (Shaw HT), Carter, Clark (Heselton 65), Dean (Ferdinand 85), Hart. Unused Subs: Meakin, Matthews

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Cooper, Haywood (C. Smith 80), Preston, Pope, Knight, Cowley (N. Smith 49), Lamey, Forinton, Amos (Strachan 65), Forsdick. Unused Subs: Skidmore, Pierpoint

Referee: A. Legg Attendance: 182 Booked: Preston (29), Pope (86), Knight (87)

Halesowen crashed to their worst defeat of the season at bottom-placed crisis club Northwood.

The battling home side took a narrow first-half lead in the first ever meeting between the two clubs as captain Luke Garrard ran the show from midfield. However, Halesowen made a storming start to the second-half but squandered a host of chances to find their way back with Steve Pope missing a penalty before the Woods added two late goals on the break.

Nathan Lamey surged down the right in the 6th minute but his cross was just too high for Howard Forinton. Gary Knight cleared Garrard's cross a minute later and in the 10th minute goalkeeper Dean Coleman easily collected James Shipperley's header from Dean Clark's free-kick.

Dave Haywood drove a 30-yard drive over the bar into the adjoining graveyard in the 11th minute but the hosts took a 22nd minute lead when Gavin Hart split the visiting defence to put Peter Dean free against Coleman and he crossed for CLARK to tap home in front of goal.

Five minutes later home goalkeeper Liam Watson did well to react to Forinton's back-header from Haywood's free-kick. In the next minute Garrard put Dean free again but he blasted wide from a good position ten yards out and on the half-hour Wayne Carter drilled wide of the Halesowen upright. For Halesowen, Ian Cooper volleyed over the bar and Alex Cowley's 39th minute cross was gathered by Watson. Four minutes before the break, Coleman saved after Dean was put through again and the rebound shot from Shayne Demetrious was then blocked.

Halesowen were much improved after the interval with Forinton just failing to get a strong enough header to Lamey's 46th minute cross before Watson saved from Lamey after 48 minutes. The visitors then missed a golden opportunity when Jason O'Connor pushed Forinton in the area but Steve Pope blasted the resulting penalty high over the bar. Simon Forsdick burst through in the 54th minute to set up Forinton but he struck wide from just ten yards and a minute later Lamey flashed another good chance wide. Forsdick's 63rd minute shot was then superbly blocked by Shipperley when a cross from Nick Amos was headed back across goal by Lamey. The visitors then forced two corners following a 70th minute shot from substitute Nick Smith.

But the Yeltz were then caught out on the break when Dean beat the offside trap and ran on 40 yards before rolling the ball across goal for substitute Alistair HESELTON to convert from close range. Worse followed in the 80th minute when Heselton headed on for DEAN to bury a low shot into the graveyard-end for a third goal from the edge of the penalty area.

Eight minutes from time home goalkeeper Watson was finally beaten by substitute Chris Smith but the ball cannoned off the crossbar and in the dying minutes both Pope and Knight were booked as their frustration grew.




FAT 3QR Yeltz 3 Sutton Coldfield 0

The mighty Yeltz won through in the end to clinch an exciting tie with Conference side Tamworth, although it wasn't as easy as the scoreline might suggest (according to Dave's match report ). Goals from Fozzy, Nathan and The Pope took us through to the First Round Proper on December 17th.

A little more on the board restructuring - as far as I can tell the number of directors has been reduced to hopefully attract further investors. The old directors are still going to be involved in running the club, so in reality it shouldn't make any difference and hopefully we may get other people coming in to help out Nigel and the other directors financially. All seems pretty reasonable I think.

On Saturday we travel to bottom placed Northwood in a game we must be hopeful of winning. However they beat Merthyr away last week so their no mugs. I'll be making a rare visit but with Frank over from Spain please blame him if it all goes wrong.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Cooper (Pierpoint 87), Haywood, Preston, Pope, Knight, Cowley, Lamey, Forinton (C. Smith 85), N. Smith, Forsdick (Skidmore 81). Unused Subs: Johnson, Amos.

Sutton Coldfield Town: Belford; Wolsey, Wilson, Hood, Spittle, Owen, Dodd, Field, Rowe (Massingham 78), Markman, Hebberd. Unused Subs: Haynes, Daniels, Maynard, Breedon (GK).

Referee: A. Parker (Derby) Attendance: 245 Booked: Hood (34), Haywood (39), Spittle (60), Wilson (66), Lamey (82) Sent Off: Spittle (63), Hood (84)

Halesowen booked an attractive tie against Conference giant-killers Tamworth in the next round after riding their early luck to record a flattering scoreline.

The Royals dominated the first half but failed to take advantage of a string of good chances and finally succumbed after being reduced to nine men in the latter stages.

The Royals dominated the first half but failed to take advantage of a string of good chances and finally succumbed after being reduced to nine men in the latter stages.

Halesowen eventually sprung into life in the 17th minute when Nathan Lamey beat the offside trap but he lobbed the good chance over the bar from Dave Haywood's long ball.

A through ball from Liam Hebberd carved open Halesowen yet again after 21 minutes but Markman screwed just wide. Goalkeeper Dean Coleman then collected the ball on the half-hour after a spell of ping-pong in the home area and saved from Hood a minute later for fortunate Halesowen.

Alex Cowley beat off a couple of challenges to shoot wide from 15 yards in the 33rd minute and seconds later Simon Forsdick skipped down the wing before blasting high. But yet another chance went begging for the visitors after 36 minutes when Coleman lost the ball but recovered to save from Markman and force a corner.

Sutton paid the price for failing to capitalise when Lamey's clever touch set up FORSDICK to bury a 10-yard volley two minutes before the interval to give Halesowen a lead they hardly deserved.

Halesowen's performance showed no improvement after the interval as they continued to struggle to control the game against their lower league opposition. Nevertheless, two more goals were added from just three second-half attempts on goal after frustrated Sutton twice saw red.

Nick Smith volleyed straight at Belford after 47 minutes and five minutes later Hebberd's cross was marginally too high for his supporting forwards at the other end.

A dreary second period came to life when Sutton were reduced to ten men when Lucan Spittle committed two yellow card offences within three minutes by hacking down Lamey on the hour and then making a clumsy lunge at Howard Forinton.

Halesowen went on to add a second goal in the 76th minute when Forinton set Forsdick free down the left and his cross picked out LAMEY to comfortably hit the net from 5 yards.

Worse followed for Sutton when Haywood's long ball found Lamey and his legs were taken by Hood who anticipated his punishment by immediately walking off the field without waiting for his inevitable red card. Steve POPE stepped up to smash home the resulting 84th minute penalty and put Halesowen into the next round at home to Tamworth on Saturday 17th December.




Yeltz 0 King's Lynn 0

Many years agon in the fanzine I made some lame joke about us going top of the league after the rules being changed to 3 points for a draw, 1 for a win. With our 9th draw in 17 league games we'd be comfortably top of that league, but back in the real world we're in 9th just hovering below the play-off zone.

In other news gleaned from the excellent official website , Ben Steane has been released to go to Brackley. In my opinion Ben never quite fulfilled the promise (and the large transfer fee) he undoubtedly had, although obviously he was extremely unlucky with injuries. Let's hope we can afford to replace him with a top midfielder that could make a lot of difference.

Also, the board has been restructured to dratically reduce the number of directors to three. I was out of the country so I couldn't make the EGM, which means I don't really know what this means, but I'm hoping it will help us move forward both on and off the field. More if I hear more from people who were there.

On Tuesday we have an important replay at home to Sutton Coldfield in the Trophy, with the winners meeting FA Cup 2nd Round winners and local rivals Tamworth. A mouth watering clash, and we really need to get through - let's hope for the best!

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Coleman; I. Cooper, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Knight, Cowley, Lamey, Forinton, Forsdick (C. Smith 85), Amos (N. Smith 75). Unused Subs: Pierpoint, Johnson, Strachan.

King's Lynn: Higgs; West, A. Smith, Harvey, G. Cooper, Jones, Fell (Defty 50), Anselin (Hammond 66), Camm, Bloomfield, O'Halloran. Unused Sub: McNeil.

Referee: S. Pardoe (Crewe) Attendance: 360 Booked: Lamey (33) Sponsors' Man of the Match: Nathan Lamey

Halesowen were thwarted by a resolute defensive display from the Linnets and could only manage another draw in a game of few chances.

The Yeltz had won each of the previous three meetings between the clubs by a single goal without reply and there never looked to be much different on offer this time in a dreary first half.

Despite the two league-leading marksmen being on display, the Linnets appeared happy to play for a goal-less point and Halesowen lacked the killer punch to prevent them doing so.

Nathan Lamey's 2nd minute shot was blocked from Dave Haywood's free-kick and Howard Forinton crossed over the bar 16 minutes into the scrappy start to the game.

Grant Cooper's 17th minute shot was deflected over the bar for a corner kick but Halesowen gained possession and made a quick break up the field with Forinton finding Cowley but his dangerous cross ran along the six-yard box. Steve Pope then scooped a loose ball over the King's bar from five yards out in the 22nd minute.

The Linnets hardly threatened as an attacking force and goalkeeper Dean Coleman had a largely redundant afternoon after comfortably collecting a cross from Matt O'Halloran in the 25th minute.

Forinton looped a 29th minute header at goalkeeper John Higgs and then almost latched onto the ball in the 35th minute but Higgs raced off his line to save. In between, Danny Bloomfield struck past the Halesowen post from the edge of the area after Halesowen lost the ball in midfield.

Cowley continued to be the outlet creating most danger from the Yeltz and his 40th minute shot from an acute angle was blocked by the packed King's Lynn defence following a decent spell of Halesowen pressure before the interval.

At the start of the second period another Cowley cross went begging in the 48th minute before Bloomfield turned well to fire just wide of Coleman's post five minutes later.

The Linnets seemed increasingly content to play for a draw and continued to defend in depth with Halesowen unable to break the stalemate despite their dominance. Simon Forsdick shot well wide through a mass of defenders after 66 minutes and Cowley cut in from the right following a fine run in the 69th minute but Adam Jones headed away for a corner. Forsdick's 72nd minute header was then turned away and from the resulting corner Nick Amos powered a header just wide.

On the counter-attack substitute Danny Hammond's 76th minute shot struck O'Halloran with Bloomfield unmarked at the far post for King's Lynn.

Lamey wasted an 81st minute free-kick by blasting well wide from 25 yards but then combined well with Forinton to produce Halesowen's clearest chance of the afternoon a minute later but Higgs blocked well when Forinton tried to place his shot.

Despite a couple more late corners, Halesowen could not break the deadlock and had to settle for their 9th league draw of the season.




FAT 3Q Sutton Coldfield 1 Yeltz 1

It all seems a bit local, but the Trophy is becoming very interesting. After a 1-1 draw at Sutton Coldfield on Saturday, the replay was called of due to bad weather. The winner of the game will play Tamworth at home, which is a very good draw from our point of view. Obviously they've risen through the leagues recently right up to the Conference, but we've always done reasonably well against them and it would be great to get to play them again.

On Saturday King's Lynn visit The Grove in the league. They're above us in the table but we've already won at their place and it would be very helpful to our league position if we could do the double over them.

Match Report from DJ

Sutton Coldfield Town: Belford; Wolsey, Wilson, Hood, Moran, Dodds, Field, Owen, Rowe, Markman, Hebberd. Unused Subs: Daniels, Ling, Hazell, Maynard, Breedon (GK).

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Cooper, Haywood, Preston, Pope, Knight, Cowley, Lamey, Forinton, N. Smith, Amos. Unused Subs: Pierpoint, C. Smith, Steane, Skidmore, Johnson.

Referee: R. J. Steans (Leics.) Attendance: 278 Booked: Cooper (38), Lamey (60), Hood (65), Field (72), Haywood (83), Wolsey (87).

Halesowen were forced to a replay in their 50th FA Trophy game after a bright first-half start performance was pegged back by the Royals.

Coles Lane has not been a happy-hunting ground for the Yeltz in recent seasons and in the first minute Halesowen escaped when the ball bobbled wide off Justin Rowe from Liam Hebberd's cross.

But the Yeltz then took charge and could have wrapped up the tie by half-time. Nathan Lamey hit a tame 4th minute free-kick at veteran goalkeeper Dale Belford and three minutes later Alex Cowley made a superb solo run through the heart of the Sutton defence beating five players on his way before finally sprawling in the area as he rounded Belford. However, the referee waved play on and then turned down another loud appeal for a penalty due to alleged handball as Belford tipped Howard Forinton's 15th minute effort was over the bar.

But a minute later FORINTON gave Halesowen the lead by calmly placing his 12-yard shot into the top corner after Cowley's shot was blocked in a crowded goal-mouth from Halesowen's third successive corner.

Sutton's prolific strike-force continued to be restricted although Rowe set up Craig Owen to screw wide on 26 minutes and Cowley's mistake allowed Matthew Dodds to tee up Owen in the 31st minute with visiting goalkeeper Dean Coleman gathering low down at the second attempt.

Before the interval Belford made a 37th minute finger-tip save to turn Cowley's 20-yard shot for a corner and at the other end the Yeltz survived a moment of confusion between Coleman and Niki Preston on the stroke of half-time.

In a more subdued second half Yeltz display, Belford made a couple of early clearances to deny Lamey and Forinton and on the hour Lamey picked out Forinton with a splendid left-wing cross but he headed high from 10-yards. A minute later Lamey then struck the side-netting from close range.

With Halesowen conceding too much space in midfield, the Royals gradually began to take the upper hand and equalised in the 67th minute when the ball broke from a long throw-in for HEBBERD to drill home past Coleman from 15 yards.

Cowley was brought down by Mark Wolsey in the 87th minute but Steve Pope's free-kick was blocked by the defensive wall and in the final minute Coleman easily collected Owen's 20-yard free-kick.

In injury time Belford raced out to clear from Nick Smith after Lamey and Forinton combined leaving both clubs in the hat for Monday's draw with a replay at the Grove on Tuesday, 29th November, kick-off 7.45pm.



News Story

BSC Willenhall 3 Yeltz 2

I guess many others share my lack of enthusiasm for the Senior Cups. A crowd of just 90 saw us lose to Willenhall 3-2 in the B'ham variety despite us twice being ahead from Nathan and The Pope. Oh well.

More serious knockout action occurs on Saturday when we travel to Sutton Coldfireld in the Trophy. This is definitely a competition we want to do well in (with prize money available), so I'm hoping for a good performance to put us into the hat with the Conference teams.




Bedford 0 Yeltz 0

We said we'd be pleased with a point so to keep the football cliche alive we must continue saying it. In this case it's true though, with a useful point gained with what, from all accounts I've heard, was a pretty good performance.

We're in Cup action in the next week - first in the all-important Birmingham Senior Cup when we visit Willenhall on Tuesday (not at home as I put earlier), and then in the Trophy on Saturday when we make the short journey to Sutton Coldfield. I've no real interest in the first game, but let's hope we can continue our recent decent run in both games. I'd be pleased with that.

Match Report from DJ

Bedford Town: Brown; Childs, Lawley, Miller, Howarth, Stupple, Hatch (Williams 72), James, Dillon, Howe, Rydeheard (Woolf 82). Unused Subs: McElroy, Phillips, Farrell

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Pierpoint, Haywood, Preston, Knight, Cooper, Cowley, Lamey, Forinton, N. Smith (Steane 83), Amos. Unused Subs: C. Smith, Strachan, Skidmore, Johnson

Referee: S. Comerford (Royston) Attendance: 505 Booked: Pierpoint (56), Haywood (63)

Halesowen deserved their share of the points with an excellent performance against the high-flying Eagles.

But despite only notching just another draw, Halesowen can take a number of positives from their performance in matching one of the best teams in the league to maintain the steady improvement of recent weeks. Stuart Pierpoint and acting-captain Nicki Preston combined well with debut defender Gary Knight in a resolute defence and were helped by a midfield starting to play the passing game and enjoying long spells of possession.

Bedford's biggest home attendance of the season saw their first minute corner cleared off the line after goalkeeper Dean Coleman failed to collect a high ball. At the other end, home goalkeeper Ian Brown was alert in the 4th minute to deny a Nick Amos header with a flying save.

In even exchanges, Derwayne Stupple and Chris Dillon combined to go close in the 12th minute before Howard Forinton earned a 19th minute corner and then flicked a header at Brown a minute later for Halesowen.

Preston made an important challenge to deny danger-man Dillon in the 27th minute and three minutes later Craig Rydeheard fired over the bar. With Halesowen then enjoying a good spell of pressure, Amos was blocked out in a crowded penalty area on the half-hour.

In the 35th minute Halesowen held firm as Pierpoint made a splendid header off the line from Dillon and Coleman made a magnificent save to turn the ball around the post from Rene Howe in Bedford's best chance of the half.

Leading up to half-time, Alex Cowley hit just over the bar, Nathan Lamey turned and volleyed at Brown and Preston struck just high from 12 yards in the end-to-end action. Seconds before the interval Howe broke free for Bedford and rounded Coleman but could only strike the side-netting from a wide angle.

The second half continued to be keenly contested with Rydeheard's 50th minute shot collected by Coleman and two minutes later Lamey latched onto a loose ball but could only shoot straight at Brown from the edge of the area. Coleman then confidently collected James Hatch's 53rd minute header.

On the hour Cowley burst down the right but paused too long before curling wide. However, six minutes later Cowley produced the best attempt of the game when his 15-yard shot rebounded off the crossbar with Brown beaten following good work from hard-working Lamey. Brown then blocked Nick Smith's 8-yard shot from a tight angle in the 70th minute.

The Yeltz continued to restrict the hosts and create chances as Amos nodded an 82nd minute header just wide. Two minutes from full-time Forinton worked his way around the home defence but lacked support when he pulled the ball back across the face of goal as the game ended in stalemate.