I stopped keeping this site up-to-date many years ago, so if you've ended up here I'm afraid there's nothing much of interest to see any more.

Other Halesowen Town websites:

21st Century Stuff

I made a Yeltzland app for iPhone/iPad and Android, which lets you read all about the Yeltz in one place.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

You can also add the Yeltz fixture list into your calendar - instructions can be found here.

News Stories 1997-2006 ...

Follow Your Instinct

Even older than the original Yeltzland website, we wrote a HTFC fanzine between 1991 and 1994.

I've started scanning in the originals, and you can download the PDFs from the FYI home page.

Review of the 1995-96 season

Re-live one of the greatest seasons of the mighty Yeltz's long history in DJ's comprehensive review

Why are we called The Yeltz?

No one knows for sure, but here's an summary from the excellent Yeltzmen book that's the best explanation we have!




WSC Evesham 1 Yeltz 1

Worst possible result in my eyes - I've never liked the Senior Cups and at the moment we really don't need the distraction, so it's a pain we have to go to a replay in the Worcestershire version after a 1-1 draw at Evesham. Rosco got our equaliser after we'd gone behind, but I think the attendance - 115 - says it all.

So it's on to Saturday's top of the table clash with Chippenham at The Grove. Our real rivals are the teams in third place and below, as all that matters this year is finishing in the top two. However a victory would take us seven points clear at the halfway mark - which would be nice. Come on!!!

Match Report from DJ

Evesham United: Watson; A. Smith, Parmenter, Clark, Powell, Lutz, Wolsey, McCartan, Mullen (Roberts 45), Pratt, Preedy. Subs: Brown, Clifton, Pendleton, Steadman

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, Burnham, L. Collins, R. Collins, Spencer, Hall (N. Smith 72), G. Smith, Gray, Hines (Skidmore 54). Subs: Jones, Taylor, Garvey

Referee: S. Dorr (Worcester) Attendance: 115 Booked: Gray (19), G. Smith (19), L. Collins (43), Wolsey (75), Spencer (75)

Halesowen and Evesham must replay at The Grove after fighting out an evenly matched quarter-final on a sticky playing surface.

The visitors went close in the 9th minute when Les Hines played a great ball from his own half for Gary Smith to send a curling shot from the edge of the area which was saved by Danny Watson. Watson then recovered to save the rebound from Matty Hall. Evesham's Phil Preedy then struck wide from the left in the 16th minute.

Shaun Pratt caused danger for the Halesowen defence in the first half and was instrumental in a 25th minute disallowed goal before cutting in himself two minutes later, causing Tim Clarke to make a fine save. At the other end goalkeeper Watson denied Hines from close range and then saved from Hall who latched onto a long free-kick from Jason Burnham on the half-hour.

The home side took a 42nd minute lead when Preedy skipped past the Halesowen defence down the left to hit past Clarke from a tight angle.

Halesowen gradually fought back in the second half with Hines driving in a 46th minute freekick before levelling in the 59th minute when Hall put in a low right wing cross for Ross Collins to net from a couple of yards out. Watson then made a reflex save after 65 minutes to deny Ross Collins again before Evesham's Pratt headed a corner from Steve McCartan wide in the 72nd minute. In the dying moments Andy Spencer set Ross Collins free but Watson blocked again and Steve McCartan hit high for Evesham when well placed.




Gresley 0 Yeltz 3

Another clean sheet added to another few goals, and the mighty Yeltz march onwards towards next week's important clash against Chippenham in extremely good spirits.

Goals from Spencer , Matty Hall and Les led to our first win at Gresley for 17 years (the word according to Chas), who had been on a good run themselves. The only piece of bad news was new bloke Lee Ross limping off with a hamstring injury.

With Clevedon losing we're now 7 points clear in the promotion standings, and still four points clear of Chippenham although they have a game in hand.

Tuesday takes us to Evesham in the always exciting Worcester Senior Cup, before next Saturday Chippenham come to The Grove in a game that it looks like will have a huge impact on the title race. Come on!

Match Report from DJ

Gresley Rovers: Lindley; Bluck (Peters 32), Cheetham, Allcock, Woolley, Wardle, Bourne, Fairbrother, Ford, Parkins (Moran 84), Gray (Westwood 57)

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer, Ross (Hall 23), May, Taylor, Hines. Subs: Crawford, G. Smith

Referee: C. Dawes (Willenhall) Attendance: 496 Booked: Hall (46), Gray (48), Allcock (89)

Halesowen underlined their promotion credentials with an emphatic victory in a potentially tricky meeting at in-form Gresley.

The home side started brightly playing up the slope and Tim Clarke did well to hold onto a fierce freekick from Ryan Ford in the 6th minute. Neil Smith made a timely tackle to deny Ford in the area after 22 minutes before Halesowen took control. Despite losing Lee Ross with a hamstring injury, the visitors went on the attack with Andy Spencer playing a key role in supporting the front-line from midfield. The Yeltz went ahead when the lively Leroy May worked down the left allowing Jason Burnham to deliver a fine 34th minute cross and Spencer stole in at the far post to side-foot home from close range.

Gresley were overwhelmed by Halesowen's neat passing game in the second half and it was no surprise when the league leaders scored a second in the 59th minute. Richard Colwell split the Gresley defence, setting Matty Hall free to cross to Les Hines and although his shot was parried away by goalkeeper James Lindley, Hall was lurking to tap home the rebound.

Well beaten Gresley gifted Halesowen a third goal in the 76th minute when Hall robbed Mark Peters and rolled the ball into the path of Les Hines and he made no mistake with a pinpoint 15 yard shot. The tenacious Stuart Skidmore rushed in to blast a Hall cross just over in the 82nd minute and May hit wide two minutes from time as Halesowen sought more goals in their first victory at the home of their long-term rivals since 1984.




Yeltz 6 Shepshed 0

Yeltz go goal crazy! With all the talk about our lack of goal power and needing new strikers, maybe things aren't so bad after all. Points clear at the top of the table , a second half goal-fest sent the Yeltz fans home very happy indeed.

We led 1-0 at half-time through yet another Jason Burnham penalty . We went further ahead through goals from Leroy and new bloke Lee Ross , and then three late goals from Matty Hall (2) and Gary Smith led to our biggest win for ages (answers to YeltzTalk please).

Bizarrely enough, according to Ceefax both Clevedon and Chippenham also won 6-0 , but we've obviously maintained our 4 point lead at the top. The game in two weeks time against Chippenham is going to be a stormer. However, before that next Saturday takes us back to old rivals Gresley , who we beat 3-0 at The Grove in the first game of the season.




Shepshed 1 Yeltz 2

Despite everyone feeling a little down on how things have been going, suddenly the mighty Yeltz have gone back to the top of the league and started to pull away from the chasing pack. With Chippenham's game postponed and Clevedon losing, we're top however way you calculate it, and assuming Bloxwich's record is expunged (which I do), then we're now 4 points clear . Hurrah!

We lead at half-time through another Jason Burnham penalty , and after being pegged back to one-all we took all 3 points from a Neil Smith 20 yard screamer .

There's finally been some activity on the transfer front. We've signed forward Lee Ross from Bloxwich for a supposed four figure sum, and let Kerry Giddings go to Redditch on loan for a while. We've also rumoured to have signed a forward from Crewe on loan.

Bedworth's Trophy game was called off today which means our league game on Tuesday against them is off as well. This means our next game will be against Shepshed again at The Grove on Saturday.

Match Report from DJ

Shepshed Dynamo: Quailey; Folwell, Simpson, Goodwin, Lawrence, Commander, Holtom, Dunn, Blake (Heskey 84), McGlinchey, Master. Subs: Manning, Newbold

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, R. Collins, Spencer, Ross (Hall 80), May, Taylor (Crawford 40), Hines. Subs: G. Smith.

Referee: P. Kirkup (Northampton) Attendance: 240 Booked: Lawrence (41) Sent Off: Lawrence (79)

Halesowen went four points clear at the top of the table, but had to rely on a rare late strike from Neil Smith after threatening to run up a cricket score in the first half.

Tim Clarke was on hand to make important early saves from Carl Lawrence and Andy Dunn on rare breaks by the home side, but for much of the first half it was one-way traffic towards the Shepshed goal. Ross Collins and Lee Ross both sent volleys high over the goal and Mark Taylor had a free-kick saved by Damion Quailey in the opening spell.

The Yeltz eventually took the lead when Jason Burnham crashed home his third penalty of the week after Carl Lawrence needlessly handled over his head in the penalty area after 22 minutes. But Halesowen had to be satisfied with a single first half goal as a number of chances continued to go begging. Debut boy Lee Ross blasted wide from a good position and in the 28th minute May broke clear and rolled the ball across goal to Mark Taylor, but he struck the post from just 2 yards out. Quailey then produced a splendid save to turn a header from Leroy May for a corner. At the other end Clarke pulled out a good save from a 25-yard free-kick from Kirk Master.

Halesowen were forced to reorganise in the 40th minute due to injury to Mark Taylor and the change seemed to throw the visitors off balance. Halesowen paid the price for their earlier misses when Shepshed levelled out of the blue in the 56th minute as the dangerous Kirk Master picked up the ball in midfield and ran into the area to hit home into the bottom of the net from 15 yards. For a twenty minute spell Shepshed were transformed and looked the more likely to snatch a winner with Clarke having to make a fine blocking save from Marvin Blake who was clear on goal on the hour.

May headed onto the top of Shepshed's net from close range with the home defence in chaos before Halesowen were finally claimed the three points that seemed a first half certainty. Ross held up the ball in the area in the 78th minute allowing Neil Smith to smash a 20 yard drive beyond Quailey. With Shepshed's Lawrence being sent off for arguing, Halesowen were content to hold onto the lead although Les Hines went close two minutes from time but was denied by Quailey.




Stourport 2 Yeltz 3

In a fantastic comeback, the mighty Yeltz gained 3 important points when they came back from 2-0 down to beat local rivals Stourport Swifts 3-2. Two second half penalties by Jason Burnham and a late winner following a goal mouth scramble - Chas reckons Gary Smith got it - has kept us right in the promotion race.

It's difficult to say exactly where we are in the table as there are strong rumours suggesting Bloxwich United have resigned from the league immediately. If that's confirmed then it will help us as Chippenham, Clevedon and Solihull have all beaten Bloxwich, whereas we haven't yet played them, and I reckon we'd go top of the league!

There are still persistent rumours of new signings, but nothing confirmed as yet. More news as soon as I hear, but it'll appear on first .

Saturday brings another away trip, this time a particularly glamorous tie against Shepshed Dynamo .

Match Report from DJ

Stourport Swifts: Hipkins; Ulfig, Laker, Townsend, Mullders, Shaw, Southwick, Langford, Marsh, Booth, Nicholls. Subs: Hart, Cooper, Davies

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, R. Collins, Hall (Spencer 66), Jones (G. Smith 45), Giddings, Taylor, Carter (Crawford 66)

Referee: K. Hawkes (Quedgeley, Glos.) Booked: R. Collins (29)

A game that was steadily heading for a dismal defeat against a scratch Stourport side suddenly turned into an evening that will become Yeltz folklore in the years to come. Halesowen started the day in 5th place in the table, 5 points behind Chippenham at the top and 4 points behind both Solihull and Clevedon. After 70 minutes Halesowen were trailing 2-0 to Stourport. What happened next? Well, suffice to say Halesowen ended the evening at the top of the table. How did it happen?

The Yeltz continued where they left off on Saturday. Plenty of possession, but with their attacks breaking down in the final third. However, this time the defence could not keep up their remarkable record and Stourport took the lead in their first attack after 27 minutes when Lea Shaw diverted home a cross from Matt Southwick with Richard Colwell unable to clear. Tim Clarke then made a tremendous blocking save from Lee Booth who was clear on goal in the 44th minute. However, on the stroke of half-time a free-kick from Southwick was headed on by Steve Ulfig and the ball squirmed past Clarke into the bottom corner to end a disastrous half for Halesowen.

Gary Smith replaced Andy Jones and worked hard using his experience but the real turning point came with the introduction of the adventurous Andy Spencer in the 66th minute. With Ross Collins suddenly fired up, the Yeltz looked more menacing. Ross Collins was bundled over on a run in the 68th minute and Jason Burnham smashed the resulting penalty down the centre of the goal. Hope renewed. In the 75th minute Mark Taylor worked into the box and was tripped by Southwick for a second penalty. Burnham calmly repeated his previous effort by crashing a piledriver into the top of the net for an equaliser. The winner came against a bemused Stourport in the 90th minute when a corner from Taylor was pushed forward towards the goal-line by Neil Smith and in a forest of legs, Gary Smith poked into the goal from about a foot out. Players, officials and supporters all went into ecstasy.

Let me complete the puzzle. Earlier in the day, news filtered through that Bloxwich had failed to fulfil their evening fixture against Bilston and as a result of a meeting the previous evening had in fact resigned from the league. A quick look at the results grid showed that Halesowen had yet to play them, whereas the top three had already beaten them. Using a word that only seems to get used when a team goes bust, the record of Bloxwich was "expunged" , leaving Halesowen at the top. An unlikely outcome from only 20 minutes earlier!!




RC Warwick 0 Yeltz 0

We've only scored 5 goals in our last 6 league games, and it's a bit worrying. If Les had scored a first half penalty we might have snuck three points at Warwick, but as it was all we got out of the game was a point in a 0-0 draw.

I'm sure evryone's as concerned as me that simply being solid at the back isn't going to be enough to get us up. However, I'm also sure Brendan is on the case, as can be shown by his attempts to make a move in the transfer market. I have every confidence that it will get sorted.

Anyway, it's not really that bad. We're still right in the hunt in 5th place and have an important game at Stourport on Tuesday. We stuffed them at The Grove earlier in the season, so let's hope for more of the same at their place.

Match Report from DJ

Racing Club Warwick: Tucker; Llewelyn, Jackson, Wells, Marlow, Hodson, Wiseman (Darlington 84), Elvin, Sawyers (Hughes 77), Martin, Massingham. Sub: Ward

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, N. Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Hall, Jones, G. Smith (Carter 77), Taylor, Hines. Subs: Crawford, Gray

Referee: I. Bachelor (Bicester) Attendance: 250 Booked: Massingham (55), Jones (78)

Halesowen's season is in danger of faltering as they once again struggled to find the net despite dominating their opponents and being awarded a penalty. The Yeltz have now only notched a paltry 5 goals on their league travels - the worst record in the division.

For the home side Dave Jackson threaded through midfield in the 13th minute but shot well wide. A 19th minute corner from Mark Taylor was easily cleared. With Racing Club Warwick unable to muster a decent scoring opportunity all afternoon, it was left to the visitors to try to break the deadlock, but they were guilty of poor final delivery and missing a host of chances in front of goal. The Yeltz were handed a gift in the 29th minute when Dave Jackson was judged to have tripped Stuart Skidmore in the penalty area - a decision that lead to a huge protest from the home defence. However, even this golden opportunity was wasted when Les Hines hit the spotkick at hand height allowing goalkeeper Matt Tucker to save diving to his left. Taylor then volleyed just wide in the 32nd minute and Tucker held onto an Andy Jones cross at full stretch two minutes before half-time

Halesowen were well on top in the second period with Matty Hall finding plenty of space to run at the Warwick rearguard. Just after the break Gary Smith won a corner which led to an almighty goalmouth scramble in which Hall and Andy Jones failed to connect from just two yards out and ended with Lee Collins firing high. Neil Smith then misdirected a header in front of goal from a Les Hines cross in the 55th minute and a minute later Jones headed a cross from Taylor against the crossbar from close range with no-one able to take advantage of the inviting rebound. Another loose ball ran across the Warwick goalmouth without finding a finishing touch in the 83rd minute when substitute Alfie Carter won a header from a free-kick. With Jones flashing a 90th minute header over the bar from a corner, the subdued Yeltz fans had to settle for just a single point.




BSC Yeltz 2 Hednesford 0

It's been a few years since we used to have regular battles against Hednesford, so it was nice to put one over our old rivals even if it was just the Senior Cup. Goals from Skiddy and Jonah put us through to the next round in the most prestigious of the Senior Cups (I always talk them up when we win).

It was a bit of a disappointing turnout for the supporters' meeting on Monday, with only six committed fans turning up. Unfortunately this doesn't surprise me too much, as it's a lot easier to leave a message of support on the site than it is to actually do something about it. The people who leave messages are always more likely to be younger fans who have internet access.

Anyway, onwards on upwards. It's back to league action on Saturday with a trip to Warwick in the first of four consecutive away games.

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, Knight, L. Collins, Skidmore, Hall, Jones, G. Smith, Taylor (Gray 45), Carter (Hines 84). Sub: Burnham

Hednesford Town: Gayle; Dodds, Lucas, Lake, Gardiner, Simpson, Airdrie (Craven 63), Brownrigg (Shakespeare 86), Francis, Lancashire (Dyson 75), Trainer

Referee: G. Aston (Kingswinford) Attendance: 205 Booked: Francis (22)

Halesowen made a comfortable passage to the next round as Dr Martens Premier Hednesford turned in a disappointing performance, despite naming a strong line-up.

Matty Hall made a couple of impressive early runs down the right wing for the home side but he blasted high in the 2nd minute and his third minute cross failed to find a Yeltz striker. Phil Trainer flashed a 13th minute shot wide and Andy Brownrigg's shot was easily saved by Tim Clarke a couple of minutes later for the visitors.

The Yeltz took the lead in the 19th minute when Andy Jones headed back across goal for Stuart Skidmore to turn home his first goal of the season from close range. Stuart Lake then stole in on the Halesowen defence in the 23rd minute from a Kevin Francis header, but he headed weakly into Clarke's arms.

Three minutes after half-time Skidmore set up Alfie Carter for a left wing run but his cross was cleared by the Hednesford defence. On 57 minutes Gary Smith set Carter free again but the break came to nothing. Stuart Airdrie curled a teasing 55th minute shot just wide as Kenny Hibbitt's Hednesford tried to get back into the game, but it was visiting goalkeeper Mark Gayle who had to turn a diving header around the post from Jones in the 71st minute from another Hall cross. Stuart Lake then had an 81st minute shot from 20 yards pushed away for a corner by Clarke.

Halesowen finally doubled the lead and sealed the game in the 85th minute when Smith threaded the ball through for Jones to poke home past Gayle.




Yeltz 1 Mangotsfield 1

We've got used to winning in the league recently - especially at home - so it's a bit disappointing only to draw 1-1 against Mangotsfield. We took the lead in the second half through a Michael Crawford goal, but couldn't hold on to the lead. We've slipped to 4th in the table , but still can go top if we win our games in hand.

Tuesday brings old rivals Hednesford to The Grove in the B'ham Senior Cup, but don't forget the meeting about the proposed supporters' fund on Monday (19th) in the clubhouse at 8pm.

Nice to see Canvey beating Wigan in the FA Cup, and also Barrow drawing at Oldham. Puts our performances in some sort of perspective, but it still would have been nice to win today :-)

Match Report from DJ

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, N. Smith, Burnham, Skidmore, Hall, Jones, Giddings (G. Smith 81), Taylor, Hines. Subs: Gray, R.Collins

Mangotsfield Utd: Dyson; Pendry, Hallett, Barlass, Russell, Loydon, Sims, Summers, Claridge (Allen 81), Edwards, Winter (Nicholls 81). Sub: Penny

Referee: M. Lever (Leicester) Attendance: 506 Booked: None

Halesowen had to wait until the 75th minute to break down plucky Mangotsfield, but then threw away their narrow lead just four minutes later.

Tim Clarke saved an 8th minute flick from Robert Claridge before Halesowen came strongly into the game. In the 9th minute Matty Hall made a tremendours run against the defence and put Andy Jones clear, but his effort rattled off the crossbar. A minute later Lee Barlass headed a cross by Les Hines over his own bar. From the resulting corner a cross from Hines drifted right across the goalmouth without gaining a final touch.

However, Mangotsfield were more than a match for Halesowen and had some good chances of their own. Clarke was fortunate when he was able to recover after Adam Sims had rounded him but then stumbled in the 18th minute. Kerry Giddings had a rasping shot saved by visiting goalkeeper Dave Dyson in the 23rd minute and Michael Crawford saw a free header easily cleared off the line five minutes later. Giddings then hit a 30th minute volley which was blocked by a packed Mangotsfield defence.

Halesowen had another let off in the 33rd minute when Clarke came out of his area and his clearance ricocheted off a forward into the path of Darren Edwards, but he volleyed wide of an empty net from the edge of the area.

Early in the second half a shot from Sims fell kindly to Lee Barlass but he hit high from 8 yards out. Halesowen made little impression at this stage although Dyson cleaned up when Giddings latched onto a poor defensive clearance in the 56th minute.

Michael Crawford finally broke the deadlock and seemed to have handed Halesowen three points in the 75th minute when he powerfully headed a freekick from Les Hines beyond Dyson. However, Mangotsfield claimed a deserved equaliser in the 79th minute with Andy Summers playing a neat one-two before driving past Clarke from 8 yards out.




DMC Bilston 1 Yeltz 0

We're certainly getting through them. Another chance to roll out the 'Let's concentrate on the league' rubbish as we went out of the League Cup to a last minute Bilston winner. We always seem to do badly in this competition, so who cares really?

If you haven't been following the discussion on YeltzTalk , there's been a lot of talk of setting up a supporters' fund for new signings. Chairman Nigel Pitt has called a meeting for any interested parties to talk about it next Monday (19th) in the clubhouse at 8pm.

Saturday brings Mangotsfield to The Grove in the league. Come On!

Match Report from DJ

Bilston Town: Boswell; Leeding, Hillman, Stone, Benton, Baddams (Bastable 81), Naylor, Jackson, Habbershaw (Lee 69), Rollason, Smith. Sub: Walters.

Halesowen Town: Clarke; Colwell, Crawford, Knight, L. Collins, Skidmore, Spencer, Jones (Giddings 59), R. Collins (Hall 45), Carter, Hines. Sub: Burnham.

Referee: A. McIlravey (Redditch) Attendance: 207 Booked: None

Halesowen bowed out of the Dr Martens Cup at the first hurdle with a disappointing last minute defeat at financially troubled Bilston.

Manager Brendan Phillips elected to use several fringe squad players and Ross Collins went close for the Yeltz in the first minute when he burst forward, but the makeshift striker slotted wide of the post. Michael Crawford then drove wide from 20 yards in the 11th minute. Without the influence of Mark Taylor, the Yeltz lost the ball in midfield on several occasions and in the 27th minute it led to Bilston's Mark Habbershaw flashing an effort wide of Tim Clarke's upright. Les Hines delivered a cross of quality on the half-hour to Andy Jones but his header fell just wide of the post. Four minutes later Hines went on a solo run but his shot from 20 yards dipped just over the bar.

The second half continued in a similar pattern with little prospect of a goal although a shot from Hines was whistling into the net until deflected for a corner by Bilston defender Dave Benton in the 55th minute. Alfie Carter then saw his header fly over the bar from substitute Matty Hall's cross and a 67th minute throw-in from Hines was headed on by Kerry Giddings but Carter struck the side-netting. Hall broke clear in the 70th minute but his shot was deflected for a corner by Steve Hillman. Andy Spencer then hit a good chance against the legs of goalkeeper Matthew Boswell in the 86th minute after being set up by Carter.

As an attacking force, Bilston had little to offer until the 89th minute when Tim Clarke made a great save to deny a Leon Jackson header. A minute later Jackson hit the winner from 6 yards out when Clarke's defence failed to clear - at least the Yeltz faithful were spared 30 minutes of extra-time on a bitter Bilston night to forget.




Cirencester 0 Yeltz 1

It wasn't pretty, but the mighty Yeltz got an important 3 points by beating an poor Cirencester team 1-0.

It was a dismal ground, mud puddles in both goalmouths and at least 75% of the crowd of 180-odd were from Halesowen. We tried to play football, but it wasn't really that sort of day and it became a niggling battle. The longer the game went on, the less likely a goal looked until we finally managed to get one through a Rosco close range volley.

As the cliche goes, these are exactly the sort of games you need to win if you want to win the league, so although the performance wasn't fantastic, let's be really happy with the three points. We've moved back up to 3rd place in the table with games in hand on all the other leaders so things are going well.

There's been plenty of talk about the possible signing of ex-Yeltz man Steve Piearce on YeltzTalk and also talk about setting up a supporters' fund to finance signings. All I'm going to add is that, as usual, Kev Crook's (KEV WITHOUT TREV) comments make a great deal of sense and I agree with them completely.

Tuesday takes us to Bilston in the League Cup, and then we host Mangotsfield in the league on Saturday.

Match Report from DJ

Cirencester Town: Sawyer; Minturn, Richardson, Grange, Wollen, Mayo, Toby Clarke (Belcher 70), Horgan, Miller, Godley (J. Carter 62), Terry. Sub: Bass

Halesowen Town: Tim Clarke; Colwell, Burnham, Smith, L. Collins, Skidmore, Hall (A. Carter 77), Jones, Giddings, Taylor, R. Collins. Subs: Spencer, Crawford

Referee: S. Cook (Lyndhurst) Attendance: 182 Booked: Sawyer (36), Terry (45), Hall (45)

Halesowen came up with another late winner to claim three points against a Cirencester outfit who had been performing better in recent Cup competitions than their lowly league position suggests.

The Yeltz soaked up early pressure while they got the measure of a very heavy pitch with muddy goalmouths. Tim Clarke saved a 20-yard deflected shot from Andy Minturn after 8 minutes and then scooped the ball off the toe of David Godley. Godley was denied again in the 24th minute - with the help of Neil Smith - as Cirencester employed the direct approach.

Halesowen started to overcome the home side's physical style near half-time and won three free-kicks on the edge of the penalty area with goalkeeper Kevin Sawyer receiving a booking for handling outside his box. The game then threatened to bubble over with a couple of 20-man brawls in midfield.

Sawyer made a great save from Ross Collins after 50 minutes and Kerry Giddings had an overhead kick cleared from under the bar. Neil Smith volleyed the resulting corner just high as Halesowen dominated the second half.

Ross Collins made his mark on the game by hitting wide from a good position in the 74th minute and then forcing a fine save at the foot of the post from Sawyer. He went one better in the 78th minute by tapping home his second goal of the season from an inch perfect cross by find-of-the-season Richard Colwell who battled well down the right wing.